Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
Image (bismillah) The sacred month of Zilhaj is one of the highly blessed months.The pious and the upright companions of The Holy Prophet used to spend this month in Prayers and Supplications,particularly the first 10 noteworthy days which have also been distinguished in The Holy Quran. The Holy Prophet had said that the supplications made in these days get a positive reply from The Almighty.As we are very lucky to be blessed with this Holy month,I thought of highlighting some of its merits so all of us can try our level best to obtain maximum blessings from it.
In The Holy Quran in ‘’suratul Fajr’’verse number one and two Almighty says’’by the daybreak and by the ten nights’’,’’there are many interpretations of this mystic swearing in The Holy Quran and one of them is that the daybreak reffered to in here in this verse and the Ten nights are the first Ten days of the lunar month of Zilhaj.The Holy Prophet said that fasting,feeding the poor,and the similar other deeds of righteousness during those days earn a special grace and reward from God.
Once it was reported to the Holy Prophet that a young man fasts during the first Ten days of Zilhaj.The Holy Prophet sent for the young man and said:’’Glad tidings unto thee o youngman,for whosoever honours the sanctity of those Ten days,it will be equal to his liberating ten slaves daily,and fasting consecutively for two days,is equal to sacrificing a hundred camels in the way of the lord and giving a hundred horses to defend the faith in God.He who goes to enquire about a sick man,it will be equal to go enquiring the welfare of an apostle of God. He who takes part in the funeral of anyone during these days,it will be equal to attending the funeral of the apostle of God or a martyr. And he who feeds anyone in these Ten days it will be equal to feeding an apostle of God’’. [notes from commentary on the above verses by S.V Mir Ahmed Ali]
In ‘’THE PRAYERS ALMANAC”,[which is the English version of MAFATEEH’AL JINAAN],there are particular prayers and supplications for these auspicious days .May The Almighty Allah give us the tawfik for performing these recommended acts and may we be from the fortunate ones surrounded by his mercy and Blessings.ameen. ILTEMAS-E –DOA.
Last edited by Reyhana on 14 Oct 2010, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
Yes, fasting the first 9 days is mustahab. Fasting on eid is haraam.

There is a 2 rakaat prayer between Maghrib and Isha prayers with a small dua after Alhamd and Qul that is recommended to be prayed these 10 days.
The benefits of the mentioned namaaz is that the person reciting this prayer participates in the reward granted to those who have performed the obligatory pilgrimage (Mafatihul Jinan)

The ayat to be recited is in Surah A'araf:142 "

We appointed for Moses thirty nights, and completed (the period) with ten (more): thus was completed the term (of communion) with his Lord, forty nights. And Moses had charged his brother Aaron (before he went up): "Act for me amongst my people: Do right, and follow not the way of those who do mischief."
The ninth day of Dhul-Hijjah is the day of ’Arafah, since it is on this day that the pilgrims gather at the mountain plain of ’Arafah, praying and supplicating to their Lord. On the same day and the same mountain (on jabal-rahma), our ancestor Adam met with his wife Eve when they were thrown out of janaah and were separeted.

It is mustahabb (highly recommended) for those who are not pilgrims to fast on this day, since the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa alihi wa sallam) was asked about fasting on the day of ’Arafah, so he said, “It expiates the sins of the past year and the coming year.”

Likewise, the Prophet (saaw) said, ‘There is no day on which Allaah frees people from the Fire more so than on the day of ’Arafah. He comes close to those (people standing on ’Arafah), and then He reveals before His Angels saying, ‘What are these people seeking.”

Imaam Khomeini writes in his 'risalah': , “The People of Knowledge consider it recommended to fast on the day of ’Arafah, except for those at ’Arafah.”

Significance of first ten Days of Zul Hijjah and the Day of Arafah:

1. Allah has taken oath of ten nights in Soorah Al-Fajr. According to the majority of the commentators of Qur'ãn, the nights are those of the (first) ten days of Zul Hijjah.

2. Abdullah Ibne 'Abbãs related that the Prophet (saaw) said, "Good deeds performed on other days are not superior to those performed on these (first ten days of Zul Hijjah)." The Companions inquired, "Not even Jihãd?" He replied, "Not even jihãd, except for that person who goes out putting himself and his wealth in danger and does not return with anything."

3. Hafsah reports that Rasoolullah used to fast the (first) nine days of Zul Hijjah. (Nasã'ee, Ahmad, Aboo Dãwood) .

4. Sa'd related that Rasoolullah sallalahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam said, "No days are as weighty with Allah and so liked by Him for good deeds than the first ten days of Zul Hijjah. So on these days increasingly read Subhãnallah, Lã ilãha illallãh, Alhamdulillah and Allahu Akbar."

5. Aboo Qatãdah Al-Ansãri narrated that Rasoolullah was asked about the fast on the day of Arafah. He said, "It compensates for the (minor) sins of the past and the coming year."

6. 'Ã'ishah reports that Rasoolullah said, " There is no day in which Allah sets free more souls from the fire of hell than on the day of Arafah. And on that day Allah draws near to the earth and by way of exhibiting His Pride remarks to the angels, 'What is the desire of these (servants of mine)?"

7. Holy Prophet Muhammad (saaw) said: “your Adiyah (prayers) are fulfilled and repentance is accepted in this night (the night of Arafaah).”

8. Prophet (saaw) praised Arafah saying: "Hajj is Arafah".

A'maal of Rouz A'rafah:

To take bath and recite Ziarat-e-Imam Hussain (PBUH) are sunnat-e-Muakkada in this night.

According to reports the best amal (deed) in this day, 9th Zilhajj, is duaa. Following are some a’maal of the day as described in books of adiyah:

To take bath;

To recite Ziarat-e-Imam Hussain (PBUH) - it has great excellence, merit and reward as compared to thousand pilgrimages (Hajj), thousand off-seasonal pilgrimages (umrah) and thousand Holy wars (Jihad);

To keep fast;

To recite 47th dua’a of sahifa-e-Kamela and dua’a-e-Imam Hussain (PBUH) for Day of Arafah after asr prayer. (mafateehul Jinan may be consulted for ziarat and dua’a).

The Hill of Arafah (al-Cabal ar-Rahmah) located in the field of Arafah in Mecca city of Saudi Arabia and the pilgrims visiting these holy places. It is reported that Father Adam and Mother Eve had reunited with each other on this hill after coming into the world from Paradise. (The picture was taken by Mr. Mustafa one of the visitors of Artislamic.com in 2003 Ramadan.)

AD ZONE

KHUTBA OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (SAAW) IN ARAFAH:

Here, it was!

On this plain,

at the valley of Uranah in Arafah.

Many, many centuries ago,

the Noble Man,

the Seal of the Prophets,

Muhammad Rasullullah,

delivered his last khutbah

during his final pilgrimage.

"Oh, People!