Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By Esm'ail
Asalamalaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.
I was wondering when ur performing ur namaz and one of ur parents calls u(ur Mom lets say). Am I suppose to cut off my Namaz and listen to what my Mom wants me to do or should I finish my Namaz first?
By Esm'ail
Please make me understand more, what are u trying to say?
Cuz I might say sunnat is both.
By Muhammad Mahdi
Well, if the prayer is a sunnat one, one can cut it off (under normal circumstances) though it is makruh. So if one's parents calls one, one is allowed to cut it off as per my understanding.

On the other hand, wajib prayers can not be broken under normal circumstances. Hence, one can not cut it off!
Last edited by Muhammad Mahdi on 22 May 2007, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
By qarrar
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:Well, if the prayer is a sunnat one, one can cut it off (under normal circumstances) though it is not makruh. So if one's parents calls one, one is allowed to cut it off as per my understanding.
Reference for this statement please.
By Muhammad Mahdi
I wrote:though it is not makruh
Sorry! :oops:
Should have been is makruh.
Qarrar wrote:Reference for this statement please.
Still want reference?
By qarrar
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:Still want reference?
Yes please, because I am not entirely convinced you can do that (i.e. break a sunnat namaaz).
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
It's just a matter that needs to be thought out. It is wajib to answer your parents. The wajib always prevails over the sunnat. If the namaaz you are praying is sunnat, then you ought to break it and answer your parents. I think the exception to this would be if you are absolutely sure that your parents won't mind the delay if you tell them later that you were praying.

According to rule number 789 of tawdhiul masail of Agha Sistani, the sunna prayers can be prayed on horseback or while walking. And if prayed under these conditions, it is not necessary that the person praying should be facing qibla...so I guess if you can start walking to your parent while finishing the prayer, you should finish it.

NOTE: all this is only for mustahab prayers. The obligatory prayers cannot be discontinued except under certain conditions.
By Esm'ail
What are those certain conditions? If you know any? :)
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
wa alaykum salaam
refer to rule number 1168, tawdhiul masail
...in order to protect property, or escape from physical or financial harm.
By Esm'ail
Thanx. :)
But are those the only certain conditions?
If they are more please let me know. :D
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
wa alyakum salaam

The fatwa adds that it is permissible to break the namaaz for any wordly or religious matter that is very important to the person who is praying.

A hadith states that breaking a wajib prayer is like killing the Propet (saw). Conclusion: The prayer must not be broken for trivial reasons.
By Esm'ail
Do u mean killing the Prophet(SAW) or killing any Prophet?
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
According to what I know, killing The Prophet Muhammad (saw). BUt killing a prophet is still a prophet, so it doesn't really make a difference which prophet it is.
By Esm'ail
That means all Prophets are equal in status right? :D

Short tafsir on Suratul Buruj - part 2

The Destruction of Baqee. This cemetery contains t[…]

NAHJAL BALAGHA

The Lowliness Of The World In Allah’s Eyes […]

Eid Mubarak!

اللَّهُ اكْبَرُ ٱللَّهُ اكْبَرُ allahu akbar allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline