Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A special forum created for the purpose of the Editorial Team of BIZ Magazine ( a production of Ask) to discuss, organize and work on the BIZ Magazine project. To apply for joining the team please contact Hasin
By abuali
photography basics
what camera is the one to get
by sameer kermalli

being an amateur myself in the field of photography, i may not be the right person to write this, but i have been coaxed and cajoled into it. i can only part with what i have learned from websites and encounters with professionals.

most of us are owners of cameras, most of the time point and shoots. the digital camera market is vast and sometimes even confusing. budget constraints limit confusions, basic knowledge eases choices.

the first few questions one should ask themselves are
1- how much am i willing to spend
2 - how often do i take pictures
3 - what kinds of pictures do i take
4 - will i take pictures to sell
5 - is this a hobby or am i targeting it to be a profession
6 - what are my favorite brands? sony, canon, nikon

always have a budget, this can have a lower and upper limit to allow for negligible changes when purchasing a camera. if you get something you want at lower than your minimum budget, you can always buy something like a case, extra battery or if its and SLR then an additional lens.

most of the times we buy cameras because they are cheap. basic important characteristics of a point and shoot are megapixels. cameras these days range anything from 7.1 to 12.4 megapixels. this is the size of the photo you will get. simply it means that the total number of dots on your picture will be 7,100,000. all in all it means great pictures, and the number will be dependent on how big a memory card you have. so it would be wise to invest in a large one of about 4gb. the second option is the focal length or zoom factor usually given in mm. the lower number is the wide [fitting in everyone in the frame] and the larger is the tele [bringing something closer]. these will give answers to the following 2 questions.

all the point and shoots have standard inbuilt features like candlelight, night-shot, portrait, landscape, macro and video format. these options should be the highlights for your next two questions. if you are a nature enthusiast always look into the macro option and what is the minimum focusing distance, this may prove handy when taking flower pictures. if your answer to the second part of question 5 is yes, then you are already reading lots of material about SLR and DSLR cameras and their respective lenses. this would automatically put you in another category.

being in a place where they have a wide choice would mean narrowing it down using the last question and you should have narrowed yourself to 2 choices. if all fails or you are a pinpoint shopper, fill in singular options on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp and this will probably give you the best answer in the end. my personal advice would be to get a camera with specific charger than rely on AA batteries, this is only because the camera specific batteries have a greater charge life than AAs. The rechargeable AAs can be good but the mAh value is important. no one should fool you to say that you can get AAs everywhere, yes you can but the ones you get in the streets never have enough juice in them to last a single shot sometimes.

The most popular point and shoots are the Canon Powershot series and the Nikon Coolpix series, but sometimes we have experiences that can make us brand conscience. There are brands in the market that a so randomly heard that one can question its integrity, such instances require further web research. Try and read what the people say about a certain product before going with it if you are skeptical about it. Never hurry to get something but do not delay excessively either.

points to remember
read you camera manual before, read you camera manual with your camera in hand next and use you camera manual as your first photography guide book
keep your camera clean
make sure you have charged batteries, you charger or extra batteries.
keep away from moisture
make sure you have a lens cleaning cloth if you own an SLR (like) camera
transfer your photos to your computer frequently, you do not want a full memory card at an event
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline