Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A special forum created for the purpose of the Editorial Team of BIZ Magazine ( a production of Ask) to discuss, organize and work on the BIZ Magazine project. To apply for joining the team please contact Hasin
This forum is dedicated to discussions related to the 'Careers Corner' section of each issue. This section shall be the responsibility of Farhaan.

Farhaan: Please put forward your ideas and topics for next two issues and anything else that you want to share in relation to the 'Careers Corner'
By Mazhar
A Career! For any youth today, this term is certainly not alien. We constantly keeping on coming across this term almost everywhere we go. From homes to schools to communities. It is one of the most emphasized issues in the life of a youth. What exactly is a career though?

A Career as defined by the oxford dictionary, is “an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person’s life, usually with opportunities for progress “. Just from the definition we can see that it covers a significant period of our lifetimes. Infact, for some of us, or maybe even most of us, our careers tend to precede us even. In the form of those dreams and hopes that our parents and our families have even before we are born. “ My son will be a pilot “, “ My daugther will be a doctor “. Our careers are selected even before we are existent. This I think is clearly enough to put emphasis on the importance of efficient career selection. I tend to define career simply as something that is going to be with us for a very long time in our lives. Maybe even more than most of our friends.

In today’s expanding world of opportunities, the choices for a good career are endless. Yet this is what makes the process of career selection even more long and tidious. And to make things worse, advices on careers start flying in unexpectedly aiding our confusion even more. So for this first time I decided to brush up and remind us on some very important DOs and DONTs associated with career selection. I know we may have encountered them a lot of times, but believe it helps to be reminded.

DOs
First and foremost according to me is to identify your strengths and weaknesses, your interests and capabilities. A career must be a perfect mixture of interest and abilities. You wouldn’t want to be doing something that you are very good at but have completely no interest in. At the same time you wouldn’t want to be doing something that just interests you but being unable to do it efficiently.
Decide what you want from your life and your career before you jump into the ocean of careers searching for your oyster.
Make a potential list of careers.
Thoroughly research your fields of interest and try to narrow your list down very slowly.
If you are having trouble with some of your decisions, check out your school’s career counselling centre ( if it has one). Or try to talk to a career advisor. They are the experts and a humungous source of information and experience.
Another very good source of information are people who are already pursuing the careers in your list. Talk to people who are already in those fields, either working or studying.They will give you information not only about the studies but also about the prospects in the real world after pursuing that career.
Finally and probably the most important I think. DO TAKE YOUR TIME. There may come a time when you feel like you have to take decisions about your career as soon as possible mainly due to all the pressures around. But remember Haste makes Waste and its your life that your dealing with just now.

DONTs

Select a career only because of MONEY. I completely agree that money is a huge factor in today’s world. But you wouldn’t want to end up just filling your pockets but wrecking your life. You’ll be spending a heck of a long time in work and you wouldn’t want that to be unfulfilling.
Become a doctor, engineer, lawyer or accountant just because your parents and your family want you to become one. Yes our families and parents understand us a lot better but often they are often not aware of the many opportunities around. The right way is to sit and talk over your choices and come to a right consensus with all their blessings. Also don’t just carry the trait on. Sometimes it may be easy to just follow a path set for you, but if your heart is not in it, your not doing your relatives or yourself any favour. In the end they will be happy if you are.
Don’t narrow yourself down. There are career paths out there that you may never be aware of. There is a world out there for you to explore.
And lastly, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are many people around you more than willing to help you out in getting a better career and a better life. Feel free.

And as the last point states, feel free to ASK and we can be one of your mediums. This section is specially dedicated towards guiding people, primarily youths, on to the right path of success and satisfaction with their careers and lives. We request you to help us in helping you.

Please send us any questions or queries that you may have regarding careers or any other career study related issues for which you may need advice. Also send us the names of any careers that you may want to be profiled on here together with information about universities. Don’t hesitate. I will also be placing some useful sites regarding careers so watch out for next time.

E-mail questions to : -

Farhan Yusuf
By keenfarhan
hey people... please do post your views about the article and give me suggestions for topics for next time..

P.S. - Mazhar... whose or which email should be put at the end of this article where people can send their views and queries... should or can i just give mine or you people are gonna make a special one for that?

Also if i have not used up all my space for this time just let me know so that maybe i can start the career byte thing from this issue... as in putting the useful websites.

And please the section should not be called careers corner... i had suggested career guide but you can think of something else... reason for that was that every section in the magazine seems to be a corner bana... give the different sections different names please if you can...

Thanx
By Muhammad Mahdi
A Career! For any youth today, this term is certainly not alien. We constantly come across this term everywhere we go. It is one of the most emphasized issues in the life of a youth. What exactly is a career though?

A Career as defined by the oxford dictionary is “an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person’s life, usually with opportunities for progress.” From the definition we can see that it covers a significant period of our lifetimes. In fact, for some of us, or maybe even most of us, our careers tend to precede us in the form of those dreams and hopes that our parents and our families have even before we are born. “ My son will be a pilot,” or “ My daughter will be a doctor.” This is clearly enough to put emphasis on the importance of efficient career selection. I tend to define career simply as something that is going to be with us for a very long time in our lives, maybe even more than most of our friends.

In today’s expanding world of opportunities, the choices for a good career are endless. Yet this is what makes the process of career selection even more long and tedious. And to make things worse, advices on careers start flying in unexpectedly confusing us more. So for this first time I decided to brush up and remind us on some very important DOs and DONTs associated with career selection. I know we may have encountered them a lot of times, but it helps to be reminded.

DOs

Identify your strengths and weaknesses, your interests and capabilities.
A career must be a perfect mixture of interest and abilities. You wouldn’t want to be doing something that you are very good at but have completely no interest in. At the same time you wouldn’t want to be doing something that just interests you but being unable to do it efficiently.
Decide what you want from your life and your career before you jump into the ocean of careers searching for your oyster.

Make a potential list of careers.

Thoroughly research your fields of interest and try to narrow your list down very slowly.
If you are having trouble with some of your decisions, check out your school’s career counseling centre (if it has one) or try to talk to a career advisor. They are the experts and a humongous source of information and experience.
Another very good source of information is people who are already pursuing the careers on your list. Talk to people who are already in those fields, either working or studying. They will give you information not only about the studies but also about the prospects in the real world after pursuing that career.

Most importantly, TAKE YOUR TIME. There may come a time when you feel like you have to take decisions about your career as soon as possible mainly due to all the pressures around. But remember Haste makes Waste and it is your life that your dealing with just now.

DONTs

Select a career only because of MONEY
. I agree that money is a factor in today’s world. But you wouldn’t want to end up just filling your pockets but wrecking your life. You’ll be spending a long time at work and you would not want that to be unfulfilling.

Become a doctor, engineer, lawyer or accountant just because your parents and your family want you to become one. Our families and parents understand us but often they are often not aware of the many opportunities around. The right way is to sit and talk over your choices and come to a consensus with all their blessings. Also don’t just carry the trait on. Sometimes it may be easy to just follow a path set for you, but if your heart is not in it, you are not doing your relatives or yourself any favour.

Narrow yourself down
. There are career paths out there that you may never be aware of. There is a world out there for you to explore.

And lastly, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are many people around you who are more than willing to help you out in getting a better career and a better life. Feel free.

And as the last point states, feel free to ASK and we can be one of your media. This section is especially dedicated towards guiding people, primarily youths, on to the right path of success and satisfaction with their careers and lives. We request you to help us in helping you.

Please send us any questions or queries that you may have regarding careers or any other career study related issues for which you may need advice. Also send us the names of any careers that you may want to be profiled on here together with information about universities. Don’t hesitate. I will also be placing some useful sites regarding careers so watch out for next time.

E-mail questions to : -
???@???.??

(editing done)
By keenfarhan
For the email to send queries plz ask hasin as he said he will make one through ask or biz and redirect it to my email... then u can put it there.

The section name is now Careers Guide as we decided in the meeting last time.

Also plz find out from Amirali if i have any extra space so that maybe i can put the website part from this issue itself. Thanks
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline