Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Our communities and daily lives are ridden with many unIslamic temptations and deviations. Yet plenty are practiced openly.
By abuali
Dear Mommy,

I am in Heaven now, my heart has been broken. I so wanted to be your little girl. I don't quite understand what has happened. I was so excited when I began realizing my existance. I was in a dark, yet comfortable place. I saw I had fingers and toes. I was pretty far along in my developing, yet not near ready to leave my surroundings. I spent most of my time thinking or sleeping. Even from my earliest days, I felt a special bonding between you and me. Sometimes I heard you crying and I cried with you. Sometimes you would yell or scream, then cry. I heard Daddy yelling back. I was sad, and hoped you would be better soon. I wondered why you cried so much. One day you cried almost all of the day. I hurt for you. I couldn't imagine why you were so unhappy. That same day, the most horrible thing happened. A very mean monster came into that warm, comfortable place I was in. I was so scared, I began screaming, but you never once tried to help me. Maybe you never heard me. The monster got closer and closer as I was screaming and screaming, "Mommy, Mommy, help me please; Mommy, help me." Complete terror is all I felt. I screamed and screamed until I thought I couldn't anymore. Then the monster started ripping my arms off. It hurt so bad; the pain I can never explain. It didn't stop. Oh, how I begged it to stop. I screamed in horror as it ripped my leg off. Though I was in such complete pain, I was dying. I knew I would never see your face or hear you say how much you love me. I wanted to make all your tears go away. I had so many plans to make you happy. Now I couldn't; all my dreams were shattered. Though I was in utter pain and horror, I felt the pain of my heart breaking, above all. I wanted more than anything to be your daughter. No use now, for I was dying a painful death. I could only imagine the terrible things that they had done to you. I wanted to tell you that I love you before I was gone, but I didn't know the words you could understand. And soon, I no longer had the breath to say them; I was dead.I felt myself rising. I was being carried by a huge angel into a big beautiful place. I was still crying, but the physical pain was gone. The angel took me to God and set me on His lap. He said He loved me, and He was my Creator. Then I was happy. I asked Him what the thing was that killed me. He answered, "Abortion. I am sorry, my child; for I know how it feels." I don't know what abortion is; I guess that's the name of the monster. I'm writing to say that I love you and to tell you how much I wanted to be your little girl. I tried very hard to live. I wanted to live. I had the will, but I couldn't; the monster was too powerful. It sucked my arms and legs off and finally got all of me. It was impossible to live. I just wanted you to know I tried to stay with you. I didn't want to die. Also, Mommy, please watch out for that abortion monster. Mommy, I love you and I would hate for you to go through the kind of pain I did. Please be careful.

Love,
Your Baby Girl
(extracted from an email forward)
Last edited by abuali on 01 Dec 2004, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
By saleha
wat ppl dont understand is tht they're taking life of an innocent...before being given a life...they ought to think what if it would have been them in tht innocent's plc..n how can a mother do that to her own flesh n blood..i think they got to give this a thought before doing such a cruel act..
By Sayyeda
Hasin, that was so touching!

Yes Saleha, as you mentioned how can a mother do that to her own flesh... but i think there are many reasons to abortion. However the most common reason that is being practiced today is a wrong one (just because the couple doesn't want a child).

But we also have cases when the girl gets pregnant before marriage!

Firstly, both the girl and the guy have committed a sin by having a physical relation before marriage. And both of them will be answerable on the Day of Judgement. But if the girl becomes pregnant before marriage, it is a shame for her and her family. What if the guy doesn't marry her?! What if he turns his back on her?! What will she do?! What about her reputation?!

We have some exceptions when Abortion is lawful and that is when being pregnant can cause harm to the mother.

However, going back to the case about what the girl will do if she gets pregnant before marriage, I think it is okay if she goes for Abortion. What else can she do?!?!

Please feel free to contradict me if you think I'm wrong!
Last edited by Sayyeda on 01 Dec 2004, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
By eternal-jihad
However, going back to my case about what the girl will do if she gets pregnant before marriage, I think it is okay if she goes for Abortion. What else can she do?!?!
How can you say that ? A child can't pay for the mothers' sins !!!

What about her reputation?!
Do you think that ego based "reputation" is worth killing ones own child ??? I don't think so...

Adultery is a sin and killing your own child is a sin...and I don't think that on the day of judgement one would be able to justify the murder of an unborn baby by saying "it was for my reputation"...

wa salaam
By Guest
Both of you have good points from your side of view and they are quite acceptable. But this really needs a thought! What should the mother do? Why should the child pay for the mother's sin?

It is very true that the child should not be the one to pay for the mother's sins because We humans donot have the right to take anyone's life. But what about the mother? Her world just stops there because the people would abandon her from her own society, her career would be at stake...
By abuali
Thank you Sayyeda. This same poem was published in Advertising Africa Issue #4 earlier this year.

Abortion has been a hot topic of debate over recent years. There are two main groups who debate over the issue. The pro-abortionists and the anti-abortionists.

My point in this post is going to revolve around the position of Islam as far as abortion is concerned. Please pay special attention to the conclusion.

Let us look at what Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran:

"Kill not your children for fear of want: We shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you. Verily the killing of them is a great sin. (The Noble Quran, 17:31 )"

"Say: "Come, I will rehearse what God hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which God hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom. (The Noble Quran, 6:151 )"

"O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing whatever with God, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication), that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood, and that they will not disobey thee in any just matter,- then do thou receive their fealty, and pray to God for the forgiveness (of their sins): for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (The Noble Quran, 60:12 )"

Before these Noble Verses were revealed, the pagan Arabs (before Islam) used to literally bury their daughters at the age of 4 or less alive in the desert, because
(1) Daughters' birth brought shame to the family, and the mother had "defied" the husband's demand to bear him a son; or
(2) The family was so poor, the parents would fear that someday they would have to sell their children as slaves to others.

While abortion clinics did not exist 1500 years ago, but people as it is apparent today, were able to cause a woman to miscarry her child by either striking her in the tummy, causing her to have lots of fear, or mess with the vagina until the child is pulled out.

While the Noble Verses above are talking about all children in general, and Noble Verse 17:31 says that it is a great sin, we have to further investigate what the word "children" here includes. Does it include only the newly born children, or does it also include the foetus?

To answer this, let us take a look at embryology in the Noble Quran:

"He created you (all) from a single person: then created, of like nature, his mate; and he sent down for you eight head of cattle in pairs: He makes you, in the wombs of your mothers, in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness. such is God, your Lord and Cherisher: to Him belongs (all) dominion. There is no god but He: then how are ye turned away (from your true Centre)? (The Noble Quran, 39:6 )"

"Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay); (The Noble Quran, 23:12 )"

"Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed; (The Noble Quran, 23:13 )"

"Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be God, the best to create! (The Noble Quran, 23:14 )"

"Was he not a drop of sperm emitted (in lowly form)? (The Noble Quran, 75:37 )"

"Then did he become a leech-like clot; then did (God) make and fashion (him) in due proportion. (The Noble Quran, 75:38 )"

"And of him He made two sexes, male and female. (The Noble Quran, 75:39 )"

"Him Who created thee. Fashioned thee in due proportion, and gave thee a just bias; (The Noble Quran, 82:7 )"

"In whatever Form He wills, does He put thee together. (The Noble Quran, 82:8 )"

"O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (our power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much), and (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs). (The Noble Quran, 22:5 )"

"Verily We created Man from a drop of mingled sperm, in order to try him: So We gave him (the gifts), of Hearing and Sight. (The Noble Quran, 76:2 )"

Notice in all of the above Noble Verses, Allah Almighty talks about how He Himself takes control of our creation from the time of intercourse till the time of birth. Notice how He takes full control and responsibility over everything! If a child is born deformed, then it is becasue He, the Almighty, Willed it while the child was still a foetus. If the child is born as a male or female, then it is because Allah Almighty Willed it. Therefore, since Allah Almighty clearly considered it as a "great sin" for killing our "children" in Noble Verse 17:31 and He clearly took the full ownership and responsibility of our creation from A to Z, then for those who fear Allah Almighty and believe that His Punishment and Wrath are real, then they shouldn't resort to committing the sinful crime of abortion.

Allah Almighty "breathes" from His Spirit into the foetus:

Let us look at what Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran:

"But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give! (The Noble Quran, 32:9 )"

When a foetus is created/formed right after the intercourse, and begins to get fashioned by showing signs of a beginning of a human body, Allah Almighty breathes from His Spirit into it. This means that our spirits/souls/selves (call it as you wish) are not initially created from the time we're born (come out of our mothers), but rather from the time we were initially formed in our mothers' wombs (in short time after the intercourse). This clearly means that the foetus has the same human value in the Sight of Allah Almighty as any born child, because His Spirit was already breathed into the foetus.

Has Allah Almighty not valued the foetus as a human, He would not have breathed His Spirit into it. He could've simply breathed It right after the child is born, or as he/she is coming right out of their mothers.

Warning from doing abortion to all women in the Noble Quran:

"O Prophet! When believing women come to thee to take the oath of fealty to thee, that they will not associate in worship any other thing whatever with God, that they will not steal, that they will not commit adultery (or fornication), that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood, and that they will not disobey thee in any just matter,- then do thou receive their fealty, and pray to God for the forgiveness (of their sins): for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (The Noble Quran, 60:12 )"

It was part of the Arab men's' customs to bury their daughters at the age of 4. The women used to not take part of this evil act. It is hard to imagine that a mother would willfully bury her daughter alive in the desert at the age of 4. Therefore, Noble Verse 60:12 seems to clearly and directly prohibit the women who embrace Islam from doing abortion (willfully causing miscarriage to themselves). This perfectly fits Allah Almighty's Command, "that they will not kill their children".

Also, notice that this Command came right after the prohibition of committing adultery and fornication. The word "zina" in Arabic means both fornication and adultery. There are no two separate words for zina as there is in English (fornication and adultery). Zina includes both. Notice how Allah Almighty perfectly warned women who get pregnant accidentally to not commit the sin of abortion.

Conclusion:

Abortion is a crime and murder. As we saw above, a foetus is a human, because it has Allah Almighty's Spirit in it. Allah Almighty had promised a Great punishment for murderers, including those who commit murders against unborn children. This is Islam, and these are the Laws of Allah Almighty.

For Muslim fathers: The fear of paying child support or not having the chance to see your unborn child because your X might move out of State are not valid reasons to commit the murder.

For Muslim mothers: Your body is not yours! It is Allah Almighty's! You were created here on earth for a purpose and to be ultimately tried, as every human being created by Allah Almighty will be tried:

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: and We test you by evil and by good by way of trial. to Us must ye return. (The Noble Quran, 21:35 )"

"O ye who believe! God doth but make a trial of you in a little matter of game well within reach of game well within reach of your hands and your lances, that He may test who feareth him unseen: any who transgress thereafter, will have a grievous penalty. (The Noble Quran, 5:94 )"

"Your riches and your children may be but a trial: but in the Presence of God, is the highest, Reward. (The Noble Quran, 64:15 )"

Believing in this "pro-choice" nonsense about "your body is yours" will only lead you to the Ultimate Destruction of Hell.

For both Muslim fathers and mothers: The minute you know the wife is pregnant, you both should do your honest best to protect your unborn human child. Killing him/her is a crime, and you must resort from it. If you're not married, then you must resist the cultural scandal that you both will face by having a child without marriage, and at least save your souls from the torture of Hell.

May Allah Almighty bless all of those who thrive on staying in His Right Path, and may He continue to Guide us all to Islam. Ameen.
By abuali
Further more, there are several circumstances where a woman chooses abortion:-

1. When it endangers the life of the mother.
2. When the pregnancy is outside marriage.
3. When the pregnany is unwanted (even when it is under marriage).
4. Pregnancy out of rape.

In the first case, abortion is allowed.

In the rest of the cases (inclusing pregnany out of rape) abortion is totally forbidden.

Please have a look at some related questions and answers below regarding the issue of Abortion, that are online at Aalim Network.

----------------------------------
QUESTION:

If an innocent girl is raped against her wish, and becomes pregnant, does
Islam allow abortion for her to safeguard the honour and the future of that
girl?

ANSWER:

Abortion of a pregnancy resulting from rape is also forbidden. The question
of safeguarding her honour and her future will remain regardless of the
abortion. I believe that no damage to her honour or future is done, because
she has been innocent and has been raped against her wishes.

Asgherali M M Jaffer

------------------------------
QUESTION:

My wife is pregnant. We just found out last week that our unborn child
has major heart deformities.

The child will not survive without three consecutive operations. The
first of which is to be carried out during the first few hours of life.

These operations have a survival rate of about 50% through the first
24 months of life. They are fairly new, so it is unknown how much
longer those childern can live to be. It is unclear either what the
quality of life for such a child would be even if he survived.

I know abortion is Haram in Islam for a healty pregnancy. Are there any
exception in cases of such lethal deformaties?

ANSWER:

Abortion in such case is not permissible. The survival and the quality of
life of the child may turn out to be much better than the doctors predict.
The only situation in which abortion has been allowed is when the pregnancy
endangers the mother's life.

Asgharali M.M. Jaffer
---------------------------------------------------------------------
By Sakina Sapphire
Very touching!
I'm going 2 agree with eternal. Reputation and career are very materialistic and unimportant issues when compared with your own child and I can't fathom how mothers can permit this hideous deed to be carried out. I mean wouldnt your conscience kill you?

I guess most of us, in our ignorance, assume that a foetus is numb...lifeless. This may be true is scientific terms, I cannot say, but hasin's post is very effective in pointing out the spiritual being of a budding infant at that stage.
By Sayyeda
Ahsant Hasin, your article answered my confused queries!

May Allah grant us His Mercy and help us stay on the right path. Amen!
By Reflection of Perfection
It was good.
There was only one bad part
You should have changed the jesus part as it was like doing shirk
Thanks
By immy
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficient, the Merciful

As-salaam Wa Alaykum,

Very interesting and enlightening post Br. Hasin. Thank you!

You state in your post:
"But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give! (The Noble Quran, 32:9 )"

When a foetus is created/formed right after the intercourse, and begins to get fashioned by showing signs of a beginning of a human body, Allah Almighty breathes from His Spirit into it. This means that our spirits/souls/selves (call it as you wish) are not initially created from the time we're born (come out of our mothers), but rather from the time we were initially formed in our mothers' wombs (in short time after the intercourse). This clearly means that the foetus has the same human value in the Sight of Allah Almighty as any born child, because His Spirit was already breathed into the foetus.
Is it halaal to abort a zygote or embryo, ie. before the beginnings/signs of a human body start to become shown?

Secondly, I would also like to make an observation regarding shame and damaging ones reputation:

The Holy Quran: 033.037
YUSUFALI: Behold! Thou didst say to one who had received the grace of Allah and thy favour: "Retain thou (in wedlock) thy wife, and fear Allah." But thou didst hide in thy heart that which Allah was about to make manifest: thou didst fear the people, but it is more fitting that thou shouldst fear Allah. Then when Zaid had dissolved (his marriage) with her, with the necessary (formality), We joined her in marriage to thee: in order that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the Believers in (the matter of) marriage with the wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have dissolved with the necessary (formality) (their marriage) with them. And Allah's command must be fulfilled.
PICKTHAL: And when thou saidst unto him on whom Allah hath conferred favour and thou hast conferred favour: Keep thy wife to thyself, and fear Allah. And thou didst hide in thy mind that which Allah was to bring to light, and thou didst fear mankind whereas Allah hath a better right that thou shouldst fear Him. So when Zeyd had performed that necessary formality (of divorce) from her, We gave her unto thee in marriage, so that (henceforth) there may be no sin for believers in respect of wives of their adopted sons, when the latter have performed the necessary formality (of release) from them. The commandment of Allah must be fulfilled.
SHAKIR: And when you said to him to whom Allah had shown favor and to whom you had shown a favor: Keep your wife to yourself and be careful of (your duty to) Allah; and you concealed in your soul what Allah would bring to light, and you feared men, and Allah had a greater right that you should fear Him. But when Zaid had accomplished his want of her, We gave her to you as a wife, so that there should be no difficulty for the believers in respect of the wives of their adopted sons, when they have accomplished their want of them; and Allah's command shall be performed.
Background:
The Prophet (s) emancipated a slave he received as a wedding gift from his first wife. His name was Zaid. Later on Zaid married the Prophet's (s) cousin, Zainab. They were divorced and Allah commanded the Prophet (s) to marry her to show the Arab people that the relationship of an adopted son to the adopter father is not the same as a comparable biological relationship. Moreover, it was to show that it was permissable to marry the widowed/divorced wife of the adopted son.

From what little I know, it seems that the Prophet (s) feared "what people may think". Being the Messenger of Allah, some scholars have stated that the Prophet (s) feared that his task of delivering Islam to the Arab people would be compromised due to their beliefs at the time, ie. a man cannot marry the divorced/widowed wife of his adopted "son".

However; Allah (swt) clearly states that fear should be first and foremost reserved for Him.

Also, please click on the link below and refer to the 'J' section to see the description of criterion in the determination of an Adil (just) person by the office of Ayatollah Sistani:
http://www.sistani.org/html/eng/main/in ... eng&part=4

From this, one can extrapolate the following:

1) Allah's (swt) ordinance is relatively ultimate, ie. in committing oneself to an action one should first and foremost consider the ordinance of Allah (swt). Fear and awe should be principally reserved for Allah (swt).

2) Maintaining a good nature and positive reputation is very important.

3) If one has committed a haraam act, one can only expect that they should feel shame, especially if this is gravely haraam. I hope for such a person they're shame and repentance towards Allah outweighs the shame they feel on the part of their peers.

4) In a situation in which one is doing the right thing one should take refuge in Allah and seek strength within him. We should not allow our fear of the opinions of others encroach upon or duties to Allah. I guess this is especially important for brothers and sisters living in the west.

SIDENOTE: It is not my intention to "rock" anybody's faith in regards to the concept of infallibility. For those brothers and sisters not familiar with the concept of infallibility in Islam please refer to this very enlightening precis on the subject: http://www.dartabligh.org/q_a/i.html#25

May Allah Grace us with His Guidance and Mercy.

Khoda Hafiz,

Immy
By abuali
immy wrote:Is it halaal to abort a zygote or embryo, ie. before the beginnings/signs of a human body start to become shown?
(wasalam)
From my little knowledge only prevention of pregnancy is allowed. But once the fertilized egg attaches to the womb, it becomes haraam to abort it.

I will look up the fiqh and post it inshallah

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline