Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Our communities and daily lives are ridden with many unIslamic temptations and deviations. Yet plenty are practiced openly.
By abuali
Salaams all

welcome to Ask qarrar

I tried the links you have given...but they didnt seem to work.

However judging from the Q&A's you have posted from the site, I can see no indication of any sort implying that music (especially the majority (99%) out there) is lawful. Aga Sistani (may Allah bless him with a long and healthy life) is a very wise man. All his answers are very clever not to misguide and hence he uses the distinction of diversion and play.

Now on the issue of 'diversion and play' i can convincingly argue that 99% of music out there is fit for 'diversion and play' and another person out there can be convinced that 99% of music out there is not fir for diversion and play. In other words, we can not reach a conclusion that everyone agrees on.

Minhaal...the question is not whether the glass has pepsi. The question is, the glass has been used with alcohol...will you then use the same glass to drink pepsi?

Think about it.
By minhaal2000
i really dont understand hasin how u relate

Minhaal...the question is not whether the glass has pepsi. The question is, the glass has been used with alcohol...will you then use the same glass to drink pepsi?
in terms of music plz elaborate

alright may be its the glass with pepsi and all the stuff thats confusing ..

ill simplyfy it for you even more..music whether is OK or not depends on the contents .. what i meant by the illustration before is that music is ok depending on the lyrics...

if the contents are ok that music/song is permiscible and vice versa

there are songs by the same western artists about poverty, music relating to sports would that be haraam..noo my logic says no songs on poverty will not do u harm will it ...i dont know if u agree with me ?
By abuali
I am afraid i disagree

The fatwa clearly talks about music and not about lyrics.

The fact that lyrics are soo bad these days is another topic in itself.

And as for artists who maybe sing about how many girls they had 'fun' with and then seem to get their good heart back and sing one song about poverty...i think listening to them is still haraam. Because they represent all their other songs, not the song about poverty.

Lets not get fooled so easily.

Would you go into a bar just cause they have a room for prayers?

I hope all of you can get the direction of my logic
By minhaal2000
qarrar wrote:
Sayyed Seestani (HA): About the question of music, His Eminence holds that the prohibition of music and lyrics is based on content and thus, any sound and lyric and music which does not promote laxity and immorality and does not misguide human-beings or blemish the visage of Islam, is not forbidden.

apart from that i think what u say sounds plausible but how do you conclude that all music whats so ever is haraam ?

what about yusuf Islam who converted to islam...a major pop singer Cat Stevens ...and he makes songs about islam that we here all the time even...( there are websites with his songs on ASK i think so)

how do u judge him ?
By Muhammad Mahdi
Salaams

I don't know much about music but in the book GRAETER SINS by Ayotullah Daste Ghaib there is a tradition of our Imam's (6th) that any house which has the drum ot tabla (duff) is not visited by malaika.

Since imam considers the instrument's presence abusive what about it's use?
By Guest
w/s

I thank you for visiting Ask Qarrar…[lol]

Yes I can confirm that links related to http://www.sistani.org do not seem to work, I checked with the website itself and it seems the whole website is down at the moment. The bottom link to Al Islam does work.

To widen our understanding of lawful and unlawful music I have given below further questions that were asked to His Eminence Aga e Sistani.

Q166: What is the limit separating lawful from unlawful music? If the criterion is its being labeled 'entertainment or amusement' then this is not clear according to convention because there are differences of opinion on that.

A: The separating limit is its being of suitable quality for the gatherings of amusement and of immorality. (MMS, p. 28, Q53)

Q167: Also, regarding musical tunes, what is the criterion for their prohibition? Is the criterion their actual use in songs by people of immorality or is it enough for them to be suitable for such purposes? Is there any difference in situation if they are used during the commemoration of (Imam) Husayn or Islamic songs, for example, etc.?

A: The rule also is their being suitable for gatherings (of amusement and of immorality) and their prohibition is absolutely not lifted by using them during the commemoration or otherwise, based on precaution. (MMS, p. 28, Q54)

Q168: What is the ruling on so-called music in present customary usage?

A: It is of two kinds. One of them suits the places of amusement and entertainment and thus listening to it is prohibited. The other one is other than this and therefore is not prohibited. (FM, p. 437)

Q169: Some types of music are broadcast before the recitation of the noble Qurían or the adhan, before the religious program begins or during. Is it permissible to listen to it?

A: The great majority of them are of the second type and thus are lawful. (FM, p. 437)

Q170: Musical interludes and music that precedes announcement of the news.

A: The same applies. (same answer as Q169) (FM, p. 438)

Q171: Some types of watches, in addition to specifying the time, have musical pieces for the pleasure of the owner whenever he wishes (to hear them). Is it permissible to buy and sell them (watches), or even to listen to their music?

A: It is permissible. (FM, p. 438)
Q172: Is it permissible to listen to religious songs?

Follow up: You mean religious phrases that are composed with musical tunes that are common amongst the people of amusement and entertainment?

Response: Yes.

A: It is prohibited to listen to them. The same ruling applies to all phrases that are not for pleasure and amusement ó such as supplication or dhikr ó but composed with these musical tunes. (FM, p. 437)

Q173: Classical music is believed to soothe excited nerves, and is also prescribed at times for treatment of some psychological ailments. Is it permissible for me to listen to it?

A: Yes, it is permissible to listen to music which is not suited for the gatherings of amusement and entertainment. (FM, p. 438)

Q174: Music with pictures that is associated with television films, popular serial programs, the aim of which is to raise the degree of excitement of the viewers in accordance with the atmosphere of the film. For example, if the exhibited scene is frightening, then this music helps in prompting fear and its effect on the viewers.

A: The great majority of them are of the lawful type. (FM, p. 438)

Q175: . . . emotional and national poetry that are at times accompanied by music.

A: The same criterion as was previously mentioned (in Q168).

These questions and answers were avalible some time back on the Dartabligh website!
By qarrar
Sorry I forgot to Log in. I take responsibility of the above post!
By Muhammad Mahdi
TRADITIONS ABOUT MUSIC

Imam Jafer Sadiq (as) has said,"I prohibit for you dancing and playing flute, drums and tabla."
(Al Kafi)

The prophet (saw) has said,"... And he (Allah) ordered me to eradicate the playing of flute and other instruments of music, all games of vice, ..."
(Mustadrakul Wasael Chapter 79)

Imam Jafer Sadiq (as) has said," A person who has received blessings from Allah and while having thses blessings he plays flute, it is as if he has been thankless for the blessings."
(Wasaelush Shia)

The sixth Imam (as) has stated,"The playing of violin promotes hypocrisy in the heart like water assits the growth of algae."
(Wasaelush Shia)

The imam also says,"If drums and cymbals are played at one's house for forty days, Allah will impose a satan by the name of 'FAQANDIR'. The satan will infiltrate into every cell of the person's body. With the spread of this evil, the person loses all sense of dignity and self esteem. he will then not care as to what he says or what is said about him. Then, this satan blows into this person. As a result,he becomes utterly shameless. So much that he is not concerned or affected even if his women are dishonoured."
(Wasaelush Shia)

Imam Ali (as) has said," Angels do not even enter a house that has wine, drum, tambourine or a flute.Even the prayers of the inhabitants of this house are unacceptable. They are deprived of barakat."
(Wasaelush Shia)

Imam Ridha (as) says," A person invites divine wrath when in his house instruments like flute, drum and chess are played for forty days. If this man dies within these forty days, his daeth would be of a sinner and a transgressor. His place shall be in hell and what a dreadful place that is."
(Mustanad al Taraqi)

Another tradition states ," And you shall see that music will be so prevalant that no one will dissuade others nor will he find in himself the need to do so. And you shall see that music would be openly played even in the two sanctuaries.( Makkah and Madinah)"
(Mustanad naraqi)
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline