Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Relationships are a complex and sensitive emotional, social, and religious area. This forum is open for you to post your problems. You can post in this forum as a Guest, without logging in, if you dont want others to know who you are. Or you can pm 'hasin' the administrator, with the problem. If need be, a relevant scholar will be contacted (without him being given any names) so that we can get correct guidance.
STATUS OF PARENTS IN

THE HOLY QUR’AN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And We have enjoined on man goodness (Ihsan) to his parents, and if they contend with you that you should associate (others) with Me, of which you have no knowledge, do not obey them, to Me is your return, so I will inform you of what you did." Al-Qur'an 29:8

What sort of a relationship should we maintain with our parents? In what matters are we not allowed to obey them? Generally what opinion has mankind held concerning their parents and ancestors when the message of Allah was delivered to them? What should be our relationship with our parents in case they are unbelievers? The answers to such and many other questions are provided in the Qur'an as guidance for all Mankind.The Qur'an provides us a clear criteria for establishing a relationship with our parents whether they be believers or unbelievers.The following are some Ayat (verses) dealing with this subject:

CODE OF CONDUCT WITH PARENTS
As believers,we are instructed about the sort of behavior that we are to maintain with our parents, especially when they have reached old age:
"And your Sustainer has decreed that you will serve none but Him, and that you be good (Ihsan) towards PARENTS. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life,say not to them (even) `fie' nor rebuke them but address them with terms of honor." (17:23)

"And out of kindness lower to them the wing of humility and say:`O My Sustainer,Bestow on them your mercy even as they cherished me in childhood." (17:24)

In the above verse we are restrained from even saying `fie' <oof> to our parents as people who are harsh on their parents and rebuke them are described as `those in loss' <khasireen>:

"And (there is one) who says to his PARENTS `Fie' on you! Do you hold out the promise to me that I shall be raised up,even though generations have passed before me?' And they two seek Allah's aid (and say) `Woe to you! Believe! For the promise of Allah is true.' But he says:`This is nothing but tales of the ancients!' (46:17)

"Such are they against whom is proved the sentence among the previous generations of Jinn (hidden persons) and mankind, that have passed away; for they are those in loss." (46:18)

As believers we are also commanded to spend on our parents from our resources as they cherished us in childhood:

"They ask you what they should spend.Say:`Whatever you spend that is good, is for PARENTS and kindred and orphans and those in want and for wayfarers. And whatever you do that is good,-Allah has its knowledge." (2:215)

Its is obligatory for us to provide for our parents when they are in need and not to desert them in an old home. Furthermore we cannot impose any hardships on them. Jesus the son of Mary (PBUH) is an example for us in this regard:

(Jesus said) "And He has made me kind to my mother and not overbearing or miserable." (19:32)
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline