Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By negative_brain
Salaam Alaykum,

I had a small issue which I was facing while having dialogues with my fellow muslim brothers from Ahlul Sunnah.

The question which I was asked was, "Why do Shias prefer to go to Karbala over Mecca for Hajj?"

I had explained to him that Wajib Hajj does not have any comparison. Wajib Hajj has to be a priority over all.
But it is recommended to go for ZIyarah over mustahab hajj.

I had a hadith from Imam Jaffer Sadiq (AS), but it would be useless to provide him with that since he will not believe in it.

How shall I counter this from a logical perspective, explaining to him the concept of the hadith saying that Ziyarah of Imam Hussain (AS) is more recommended than mustahab Hajj.

Was,salaam.
By Muhammad Mahdi
When we perform hajj, we remember the sacrifice of Ibrahim. While it was a great sacrifice, it pales in comparison to Imam Husayn's sacrifice, which saved Islam (for sunnis and shias).

Since the sacrifice of Kerbala was greater, being there is better :biggrin:
By qamar
If the brother agrees that Imam Hussain (as)'s sacrifice in Karbala ensured that the efforts of all the 124,000 prophets including prophet Muhammad (pbuh) do not go to waste, then you shouldn't have trouble in explaining him the logic behind the importance of ziyara'
By negative_brain
Salaams,

Thank you brothers for the response.
I shall have a discussion and he shall understand the logic behind this inshallah

Was'salaam
By Reyhana
Below are My two cents but before that I would like to ensure the reader that no Shia regards Haj as something trivial and shia books are full of hadith from Holy Prophet and his ahlul bayt regarding the importance of going for haj .
Citing just one example: Imam ‘Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him) has said, “By Allah, by Allah, keep the House of your Lord in mind. Do not disregard it as long as you remain (alive) because surely if it is ignored, then He shall not look towards you (with His Mercy).”Biharul Anwar, Volume 96, Page 16

(Kindly refer to the haj forum for more) http://www.ask.or.tz/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3155&start=0

All muslims go to Madina before or after Haj to pay their respects to the Holy Prophet and to thank him for guiding them to the true faith, as they all know that without his s.a.w.w unending toils and efforts , they would have been lost in utter darkness of faithlessness , hence in light of this just think what would have happened if Imam Hussein hadnt stood up to defend this same faith from total annihilation, wouldnt all the efforts of all the 124,000 prophets including Prophet Ibrahim a.s and Holy Prophet s.a.w.w. been wasted???

Imam Hussein sacrificed his all for the sake of Islam, He saved the efforts of all the Prophets from becoming naught,he saved tawheed and nabuwwat he saved the Kaba and the Haj,he saved the salaat the fasts and the zakaat,he saved humanity/compassion/justice/morality and all that Islam stands for.

Now considering that Almighty Allah loves the doers of good deeds as HE says in his Holy book (wallahu yuhibbul muhsineen). HE rewards even an atom of deed done seeking his pleasure manifoldly , imagine the status of the person who sacrificed everything he had for the sake of saving Allah’s religion, seeking only Allah’s pleasure , totally submitting /surrendering himself to Allah’s will, can one even imagine how much beloved this person will be in Allah’s eyes?

If /hajar ul aswad/maqame Ibrahim /hijr Ismail/safa/marwah/masharul haram/e.t.c e.t.c are the signs of Allah and demand utmost respect and reverence what should be the status of the one who saved all these signs from destruction???

Isnt this Holy Person’s ziyarat/visitation one of the greatest obligation on a true believer???

No doubt one who does ziyarat of Imam Hussein with full awareness of his position ,following In his footsteps gets reward of many accepted haj and umrahs alongside other manifold rewards.
Visitation/ziyarat of Imam Hussein yields in the believer the love of God and Godliness and helps him in his struggle against ungodliness.
It instills in him the fear of none but Allah and strengthens his desire of surrendering himself completely to Allah’s will. Isnt this what Allah wants from all muslims???

No doubt as to why The Messenger of Allah said: "Husain is from me and I am from Husain."

Sunni references of the above hadith:
(1) Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v4, p172
(2) Fadha'il al-Sahaba, by Ahmad Hanbal, v2, p772, Tradition #1361
(3) al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, p 177
(4) Amali, by Abu Nu'aym al-Isbahani, p 64
(5) al-Kuna wal Asmaa, by al-Dulabi, v1, p88
(6) al-Tabarani, v3, p21
(7) Adab by al-Bukhari, also al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah, as quoted in:
(8) al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar Haythami, Ch. 11, section 3, p291
(9) Mishkat al-Masabih, by Khatib al-Tabrizi, English Version, Tdadition #6160

Note: Most of us take this hadith at its face value without pondering on the actual meaning that The Holy Prophet is trying to convey to the muslim ummah .
Now , the first part of the hadith is pretty clear as Imam Hussein was the beloved grandson of the Holy Prophet , hence ‘’Hussein is from me…’’ BUT what about the end of the hadith which says ‘’I am from Hussein’’? I will clarify my point by an example : Suppose there is a child called Jafer and his grandfather called Ali, now Jafer is from Ali but how can Ali be from Jafer?? A child is from the parents or grandparents but how can the parents or grandparents be from the child ???
So now why did the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w say ‘’…I am from Hussein’’? What was He s.a.w.w trying to tell us??? No doubt the messenger of Allah was telling the Muslim Ummah that if it wasn’t for Hussein a.s all my efforts would have been in vain, Imam Hussein’s great sacrifice preserved the religion of Islam from facing total annihilation, hence the clause ‘’…I am from Hussein’’.
Isnt the presence of this mutawatir hadith in ahle sunnat books one of the biggest proof in itself which confirms the validity of our argument???
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline