Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.

Do you use perfume?

Yes, both indoors and outdoors (I am a man)
100%
Yes, both indoors and outdoors (I am a woman)
No votes
0%
Only indoors (I am a man)
No votes
0%
Only indoors (I am a woman)
No votes
0%
Only outdoors (I am a man)
No votes
0%
Only outdoors (I am a woman)
No votes
0%
Only before salaah/prayers
No votes
0%
I don't use it
No votes
0%
By abuali
(bismillah)
(salam)

Islam being a way of life pays attention to everything in life however small or insignificant it may seem.

Perfumes are one small aspect that we use (and sometimes abuse) in the course of our daily lives.

Many questions have been raised such as on:

1. Perfumes containing alcohol
2. If allowed to be used by women when outside of their homes or in company of na mahram

and so on.

I thought it will be a good discussion and we will get to learn from it.

Does anyone know of the Holy Prophet (saww) recommendation on use of perfumes?
By Muntazir
In the name of 'Allah.

'aleykum as-Salaam warahmatullah.

I pray you're well, insha'Allah.

A very good question dear brother.

Now days it's all about the branded perfumes and how good we smell. I'm sure you did not intend to ask about the 'itr or attar as we say, which is much purer than the perfumes mixed with alcohol.

As far as I know, Ayatullah Sayyid Sa'eed al-Hakim at-Tabatabai refuses the use of perfume with alcohol in them. According to one of his fatwa - refer to his Taudhi ul-Masaa-il - one cannot pray with such perfumes on him/ her.

The following traditions can be handy:

1. Nabi 'Isa ['a] said: "Every woman that perfumes herself and leaves her house intending for her perfume to be sensed by others is an adulteress..." - Tanbih al-Khawaatir, v.1, p.28

This is common now days by many women. If you've walked in Dubai malls then you know exactly what this hadith means.

2. The Prophet [s] said: "He who perfumes himself for 'Allah, most High, will be raised on the Day of Resurrection, smelling more fragrant than sweet musk, whereas he who perfumes himself for other than 'Allah [for an unlawful purpose] will be raised on the Day of Resurrection smelling more putrid than a corpse." - al-Musanaf li 'Abdul Razzaq, v. 4, p. 319, no. 7933

To get the haqiqi feeling of this hadith is to smell musk for as long as possible and then later smell a corpse... if not human than atleast an animal.

3. The Prophet [s] said: "Perfumes suitable for women are those that have a visible colour and a subtle fragrance and perfumes suitable for men have a distinct fragrance and a transparent colour." - Ibid, p. 512, no. 17

4. The Prophet [s] said: "Any woman who perfumes herself and goes out among people intending for them to smell her fragrance is an adulteress." - Sunan al-Nasaa-i, v. 8, p. 153

I hope this helps, insha'Allah.
salaam alikum,
Does Ayatullah sistani have the same opinion regarding alcohol in perfumes? I am interested beacuse i understand that alcohol that is not consumed as a beverage is considered paak. kindly enlightenh me on this issue. In this case, diabetics would have to make themselves paak everytime they use alcohol swabs for injecting insulin.
As far as I know, Agha Seestani is of the opinion that alcohol is haraam to drink but not najis, so that once it evaporates, there is no problem with what's left behind.
By qamar
had not seen this discussion before.
Muntazir Manji wrote:salaam alikum,
Does Ayatullah sistani have the same opinion regarding alcohol in perfumes? I am interested beacuse i understand that alcohol that is not consumed as a beverage is considered paak. kindly enlightenh me on this issue. In this case, diabetics would have to make themselves paak everytime they use alcohol swabs for injecting insulin.
i found something online

Question :
What is the fatwa regarding the use of perfumes on which it is "alcoholic"? Are these kinds of perfumes Najis and is it permissible to use them?
Answer :
Such perfumes are clean and it is permissible to use them.

the above was on http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=616687&id=1123
By qamar
and also on the same page

Question :
Is Ethanol of the family of alcohol that causes drunkenness? What about using this and other families of alcohol that are synthesized from petroleum and are used in perfume, medicine etc? Are they najis and cannot be used during prayer?
Answer :
According to Grand Ayatullah Sistani alcohol is taher (ritually clean) but it is not permissible to drink it. Using perfume and medicines mixed with alcohol is permissible.
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline