Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
(bismillah)
(salam)

In different parts of the world, birthdays are celebrated in different ways.

In Dar es Salaam more often then not birthdays are celebrated close to the western style of cutting a cake. This can be accompanies by a party for friend and family or just family with gifts for the birthday 'boy' or 'girl'. Oh and of-course lots of food.

I have been wondering how our Imam's (as) celebrated their birthdays. Any ideas?

It would also be interesting to know different ways in which you may have seen friends and family celebrate their birthdays.
Here is a very interesting account of a birthday celebration

Completing 24 orbits around the Sun

Here is an excerpt from the above account:
Last Sunday 18th of April, I celebrated completing my 24th orbit around the Sun. It’s pretty amazing to think that I have traveled so much across the Space.

Rather than celebrating it in a very contemporary way, I thought of doing something I always wanted to do, but never got around it.
For us muslims, I think that we should celebrate our birthdays in an Islamic way.First of all we should pray salaat of shukr for thanking Almighty Allah for having reached there and we should try according to our means to help the needy ones with food/clothes e.t.c. and make them happy, so as to please Allah s.w.t .If the family wants to join in, then why not start with Hadith-e-kissa followed by recitation of Doa-e-hujjat for safety of Imam-e-Zamana e.t.c
Kids from tender age, should be taught to count their blessings, by helping the deserving ones and I think like EID days ,Birthdays also should serve this purpose.Encourage them to spend their gift money for charity purposes and give to the needy with their own hands,watch the happiness and satisfaction on their innocent faces as they learn one of the most Important lesson in life i.e. SELF SACRIFICE.
Alas, nowadays muslim parents go to extremes to celebrate their kids birthdays and waste lots of money on useless recreation.Thats one of the reason why our kids grow up tending completely towards materialistic pleasures of the deceiving world.
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:I wonder, why celebrate birthdays at all? :confused:

I feel the best celebration in the world is the one that focus on Shukranlillah. So birthdays can be celebraed fo this purpose to remind us forgetful mortals of the innumerable bounties showered on us by our Merciful Lord
They are permissble within the bounds of sharia. If cakes start costing so much that they are considered asraf then...

But question is what has cake got to do with birthdays for instance?

I am not against cakes, I have them myself. I was just thinking of the connection
Different religions and cultures have their own ways of making celebrations .. On each occasion, people dress up differently, eat various foods, use different decorations etc ... for example, during christmas christians decorate using christmas trees and feast on turkey .... during eid, muslim men wear khanzu and families exchange sweets and most khojas eat rich food such as biriyani ..... Similarly, I see no harm if one of the ways by which we celebrate birthdays is eating rich food such as cakes ...and as long as there is no israaf done and the shariah is not violated in any way ...

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline