Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By abuali
(bismillah)
(salam)

Most of us, especially women , pray at home very often, if not always.

With the culture that surrounds us in Dar es Salaam, we tend to have photographs up in almost every room of our house. Be it photos of the family, relatives, friend-groups, sceneries or holy places.

Is prayer is such a room valid? If it is, is prayer in a room empty of photos better than prayer in a room with photos?
From what I know, prayers in such a room should be valid. That said, pictures may be a distraction so it might be better to pray in a bare room.

However, if one can keep attention on prayers, pictures shudnt be a problem, shud they?
In the name of al-Haqq.

Salaamun 'aleykum ikhwaan.

One needs to know the rulings on pictures first. That even pictures in the house.

Pictures in the house keep the angels away, according to the ahadeeth. A hadith by an Imam ['a.s] narrated by the holy Prophet [s.'a.w.w] that Jibra'eel once came to me and said: "We do not enter a house in which there are pictures and dogs."

If you study, pictures have been given the same ruling as keeping a dog(s) in the house! ... time to think...!

Kindly refer to Heliyat al-Muttaqeen by Allamah Majlisi or its summary, Tahdhibul Islam by P.E.T Publications.

Praying in a room in which there are pictures, photos, paintings,... is makrooh [not recommended].

Kindly see the fatawas of Ayatullah Sistani, Sayyid Sa'eed al-Hakim,... on Drawings and Paintings.
In the name of He Who Says: "Kun faya Kun".

'aleykum as-Salaam my brother.

Give me your email address and I'll send you some books.

I hope you benefit from the following in Swahili:

[quote]MAKATAZO YA KUCHORA PICHA NA KUWEKA VINYAGO NA MASANAMU:

Imeelezwa na wanavyuoni maarufu kuwa, Imekatazwa kabisa kutengeneza na kuweka sanamu ambazo hutoa kivuli (kama ilivyo kwa bin-adam anacho kivuli). Pia imekatazwa kuchora picha juu ya kuta au kwenye vitambaa iwe ya watu, Wanyama na hata ya miti. Na kama kuna picha hizo, basi zitiwe kasoro fulani ili mradi picha hizo zisiwe kamili. Kwa mfano kama picha hiyo ni ya mtu, basi anyofolewe macho au iondolewe sehemu fulani ya mwili.

Imeelezwa zaidi kuwa kama mtu atatengeneza sanamu ya mtu, basi siku ya kiama ataambiwa aipe uhai sanamu hiyo, na akishindwa basi atapewa adhabu kali.

Imam Jaa’far Sadiq (a.s) ameeleza kuwa, ni rukhsa kutumia shuka za kutandikia vitanda na zulia zenye picha, kwa kuwa vitu hivyo huwa vinakanyagwa kanyagwa na kukaliwa.

Pia imekatazwa kupakaza dhahabu kwa njia moja au nyingine katika nyumba.

Kufuatana na mafundisho ya Imam Musa Kazim (a.s), Imekatazwa kwa mtu kusali ndani ya nyumba (chumba) ambamo kuna picha, na kama hakuna sehemu nyingine ya kusalia, basi na zigeuzwe hizo picha ili zisionekane ndipo afanye ibada yake.

Imeelezwa na Mtume (s.a) kuwa, Malaika Jibrail (a.s.) alimuambia kuwa, sisi kundi la malaika hatuingii katika nyumba ambamo anafugwa mbwa au kuna sanamu au watu wanatumia vyombo (vya chakula) kukojolea.[/quote]

A translation of Tahdhib ul-Islam [P.E.T Publications] and summary of Heliyat ul-Muttaqeen by 'Allamah Majlisi - Translated by my father, Jaffer Hussein Jaffer in Swahili.
In the name of 'Allah.

Salaamun 'aleykum.

The book [Tahdhib ul-Islam] is sold at the Tabligh bookshop opp. the masjid. Once you have the book, go to page 179, "PROHIBITION OF PAINTING, DRAWING PICTURES AND MAKING SUCH MODELS OF LIVING CREATURES WHICH CAN CAST SHADOW".

I don't know if Heliyatul Muttaqeen is translated into English as yet, but I'll check and update you. However, I have the soft copies in Farsi and 'Arabic if you're interested.

These ahadith can be found in many places also. Try to aswell check on Sistani's website.

Thanks.
i have read some of what you have posted. These raise a lot of questions:

1. These days our homes are filled with photos, pictures and drawings.

2. What about artists and photographers?

3. What about taking photos of our families, functions and events?
In the name of 'Allah.

Salaamun 'aleykum warahmatullah.

It's a very sensitive issue brother Hasin.

1. We should try and avoid hanging family photos because they can be exposed to visitors.

2. Paintings in Islam is restricted. You should take a look at Ayatullah Sistani's rulings on paintings to get an idea of how to work on them. Just briefly, paintings of human beings and things that contain life is not permissible. Let me know if you can't find the rulings.

3. Taking family photos have no such problem but it should be restricted to ONLY the Mahram. Marriage photo albums is a very serious issue which can be discussed later.
(wasalam)
Muntazir wrote:1. We should try and avoid hanging family photos because they can be exposed to visitors.
This is definitely a problem as we see family photos in living rooms at the mercy of any visitor who is invited to the living room.
Muntazir wrote:2. Paintings in Islam is restricted. You should take a look at Ayatullah Sistani's rulings on paintings to get an idea of how to work on them. Just briefly, paintings of human beings and things that contain life is not permissible. Let me know if you can't find the rulings.
I have not seen the exact rulings. Wonder if you can point me towards these rulings. I have been trying to start practicing shading which involves working on shading human facial features and so on. If this is not permissible I can try learning shading using inanimate figures.

This then brings to question those of us who are into human art. Like for example recently on the amazing art show that comes on IBNTV they were showing how to sketch and paint. The figures being drawn were a fish and a clown. Would this fall under the same ruling? How about drawings that school kids have to draw in their art classes?
Muntazir wrote: 3. Taking family photos have no such problem but it should be restricted to ONLY the Mahram. Marriage photo albums is a very serious issue which can be discussed later.
Again a major blind-sight since many of us end up doing it without thinking twice. Closely related to what we see our beloved youths doing on facebook and other online places.
In the name of 'Allah.

Salaamun 'aleykum.

I had come across a hadith that said, if one wishes to draw a human or things that have life, should do it in such a way that one part of it is either missing or undone. This would be okay for the artist.

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=na ... 2&hl=paint

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=na ... hl=drawing
From the links,
Based on obligatory precaution, it is necessary to refrain from drawing a sculptured picture of a living being.
AND
Question: Is it permissible to draw or produce a scene which shows the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.), one of the past prophets or the infallible Imams (a.s.), or other luminaries and show it in cinema, on television or theatre?
Answer: If due deference and respect is observed, and the scene does not contain anything that would detract from their holy pictures in the minds [of the viewers], there is no problem.

Isnt this contradictory?

And does that mean drawing animals and plants is also haram? They are living beings.
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline