Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
There has been lots of finger-pointing on the forum in the past, with people being called wahhabi and what not...So for future reference...and everyone's knowledge...what exactly IS a wahhabi? Who is an ideal muslim? How does a wahhabi deviate from this standard? And please, could we make this a discussion of ideas, not of people. ie no more finger pointing and name-calling.

So here we go...my opinion of what constitutes a wahhabi...The Prophet clearly emphasized the role of the ahlul bayt in the preservation of true Islam. A wahhabi would be one who, like Umar, says "Hasbuna kitabullah (the book of Allah is enough for us)" and disregards the ahlul bayt. For this reason, a wahhabi does not revere the ahlul bayt, considers them normal people and classifies anyone according them the right amount of respect as mushrik.
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
Huh? Nothing?! Does that mean that all the people calling other people wahhabi don't even know what they are talking about? Come on, people...
By abuali
perhaps a search into history may be appropriate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism
Wahhabism (Arabic: Al-Wahhābīyya الوهابية) or Wahabism is a name sometimes applied to the conservative 18th century reformist call of Sunni Islam attributed to Muhammad ibn Abd-al-Wahhab, an Islamic scholar from what is today known as Saudi Arabia, who became known for advocating a return to the practices of the first three generations of Islamic history. Wahhabism formed the creed upon which the kingdom of Saudi Arabia was founded [1] and is the dominant form of Islam found in Saudi Arabia, and Qatar,[2] as well as some pockets of Somalia, Algeria and Mauritania.[citation needed] It is now often referred to as a "sect"[2] or "branch"[3] of Islam, though its supporters reject such designations.

The primary doctrine of Wahhabism is Tawhid, or the uniqueness and unity of God. [4] Ibn Abdul Wahhab was influenced by the writings of scholars such as Ibn Taymiyya and rejected medieval interpretations of Islam, relying on Quran and hadith. [4] He preached against a "perceived moral decline and political weakness" in the Arabian peninsula and condemned idolatry, the popular cult of saints, and shrine and tomb visitation.[4]

The term "Wahhabi" (Wahhābīya) was first used by opponents of ibn Abdul Wahhab and is considered derogatory and rarely used by the people it is used to describe, who prefer to be called "unitarians" (Muwahiddun). [5][6]

The terms "Wahhabism" and "Salafism" are often used interchangeably, but Wahhabism has also been called "a particular orientation within Salafism," [7] an orientation some consider ultra-conservative.

to read more (taken from) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism
By abuali
another excerpt from the same page...

One of their most famous and controversial attacks was of Karbala in 1217/1802. There, according to a Wahhabi chronicler `Uthman b. `Abdullah b. Bishr, Wahhabis "scaled the walls, entered the city ... and killed the majority of its people in the markets and in their homes." They "destroyed the dome placed over the grave of al-Husayn" and took as booty "whatever they found inside the dome and its surroundings. .... the grille surrounding the tomb which was encrusted with emeralds, rubies, and other jewels. .... different types of property, weapons, clothing, carpets, gold, silver, precious copies of the Qur'an.
By Reyhana
For those in search of the truth should read ''WAHHABIS FITNAH EXPOSED'', by S.SAEED AKHTAR RIZVI [may Allah reward him and rest his soul in peace.]
By abuali
Rehana wrote:Click on the link below for more information about wahabis[nasibis] and their beliefs;
http://www.answering-ansar.org/wahabis/en/index.php
The book "The Devil's Deception of the Salafi-Deobandi Partnership" which is available on the link above is also available on pdf here.

Here is a glimpse of the background of the above book mentioned in the preface:
The motivation behind the writing of this book came about from my personal experience. From my humble Christian background Allah (swt) guided me to his deen (religion). The brothers who converted me were themselves Salafi and hence I was indoctrinated to their aqeedah (ideology). The earliest thing that I was told was that I should be weary of the enemies of Islam disguised as Muslims such as Shi'as who portrayed Islam on the outside but were infact kaffir, on account of the "facts" such as:

1. They believe that the Qur'an has verses missing from it.

2. They curse the Sahaba and wives of the Prophet(s).

3. They believe that the revelation should have gone to Ali, but Gabriel (as) accidentally conveyed it to Prophet Muhammad (s). As such they curse Gabriel when they complete their prayers.

4. They beat themselves in Muharram and fornicate in the precincts of their mosques on the 10th night - any male product from this illegal union is named Hussain, and any girl is named Zaynab.
a conversation between the revert and a salafi is also quoted here-under:
I informed one of the brothers that I had a friend who was Shi'a and inquired whether he knew anything about the Shi'a faith. No sooner did I say the name "Shi'a" that the brother's face changed colour, he said:

"Brother don't talk to them they are kaffir (infidels), they believe that the Qur'an has verses missing".

I told him that the Shi'a I had spoken to denied this and countered me by presenting a tahreef tradition from Sahih al Bukhari - with Umar stating that a Surah on stoning is missing. The brother was shocked and after about a minute's silence he said:

"brother they did black magic with your eyes you didn't see it!"

This really made me laugh and I walked off. I proceeded to do my shopping and was just passing the stall again when the brother called me over and introduced me to a revert who he acclaimed as an "expert on Shi'aism". The 'expert' said:

"So you wanna know about the Shi'a kaffir, all you need to know is that they believe in 12 Gods".

Even I from my general conversations with the Shi'a brother knew that this was a blatant lie. I then decided to test him by quizzing the fact that Shi'as believe 'Ali to be the Prophet (s)'s legitimate successor and I cited the Sahih tradition 'Ali is to me as Harun is to Musa except there shall be no Prophet after me'.

The 'expert' then countered this by asking:

"And what did he (s) say about Umar[r]?"

I knew exactly what he was asking and said:

"If there had to be a Prophet after me it would be Umar".

The expert patted me on the back and said:

"Exactly brother". I then asked him "That being the case why did Umar not become the first Khalifa? Is this not an insult to Hadhrath Umar?"

The expert looked bemused, smiled and said:

"Brother you've just used your Aql (reason) and that's haraam".
Find below the contents of this book
  • 1. DEVILS DECEPTION OF THE NAWASIB
    2. INTRODUCTION
    3. DEFINING A NASIBI
    4. THE AHL'UL SUNNAH WA' AL JAMAAH FATWA ON THE NASIBI CULT .
    5. THE NASIBI DOCTRINE OF TAWHEED
    6. PART ONE - NASIBI FATWAS GIVING ALLAH (SWT) A PHYSICAL BODY
    7. PART TWO - THE CHARACTER ASSASSINATION OF ALLAH (SWT) BY
    NAWASIB
    8. THE NASIBIS SLANDER OF THE QURAN
    9. THE NASIBI ATTACK ON THE PROPHET [SAWW]
    10. NASIBI DISRESPECT OF AHLULBAYT [AS]
    11. THE NASIBI ATTACK ON THE WIVES OF THE PROPHET [S]
    12. THE NASIBI ASSAULT ON THE SAHABA
    13. NAWASIB EXTOLLING THEIR SCHOLARS WHILST DISGRACING PROPHETS
    [ AS]
    14. NAWASIB PROUDLY PORTRAY THEIR CALIPHS AND SCHOLARS TO BE
    HOMOSEXUAL AND CHILD MOLESTERS
    15. NASIBI BELIEF TO ABANDON ACTUAL ISLAMIC PRACTICES IN OPPOSITION
    TO THE SHIAS
    16. THE NASIBIS BELIEF IN IMAN
By abuali
Here is an interesting point from the above book about the twisted logic of the nawasib (i.e. wahabis)
Consider this logic of the Nawasib:

* Cursing the Sahaba is kufr and hence makes you a kaffir, Mu'awiya cursed Imam Ali (as) and is a pious believer should be called radhinathallanho.

* Abu Sufyan who fought the Prophet (s) is a Momin; Abu Talib the Protector of the Prophet was a kaffir!

* Those who mourn for Imam Husayn (as) are kaffir, the killers of Imam Husayn (as) are Muslim!

* It is haraam to marry a Shi'a due to the fact they have beliefs that diametrically oppose Sunni Islam, but it is permissible to marry Christians and Jews (because they are Ahl'ul Kitab!).
By abuali
and so it is said about their beliefs:
Their hypocrisy is as clear as day when one recounts Imam Ali (as)'s virtues in front of them - their faces will immediately exhibit symptoms of discomfort. There reactions are the same as the hypocrites who sat in the presence of Rasulullah (s), Allah (swt) says in Surah Nisa verse 61:

When it is said to them: "Come to what Allah hath revealed and to the Apostle": thou seest the Hypocrites avert their faces from thee in disgust.

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline