Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By Muntazir
Masjid is a place where people meet and do Ibadah together. They pray to the Almighty Allah and ask for forgiveness, they remind each other of the tragedy of Kerbala, do Gham and Maatam, read the Holy Scriptures of Qur’an, but these days there’s something new that has come into action which we have all seen in this Holy month of Ramadhan. Let us discuss these issues together. Was-salaam.
By Muntazir
It is so common these days where our mothers and sisters purchase expensive clothes (suits) costing from $50 to about $150 and wear them to the Masjid. When they enter the main gate, the Chador automatically falls off and the Fashion Parade begins. If, by any reason, one does not follow this “New Rule”, simply, the person is known to have a low status and ignored. It is a shame to hear this, especially how women behave inside the Holy Masjid where Allah the Almighty expects good Akhlaq from all of His creatures. Let us see what everyone has to say about this and discuss this problem at the end.
By imz
well i do not think that "fashion parade" concept applies to everybody except although a small majority of people. and besides, from our point of view, it is hard to verify that as we do not actually go into the ladies [unless we disguise ourselves - no i havnt done that]. back to the point, im not against you muntazir per say but my main point is, as long as you can afford something, clothes in this case there is no harm to buy and wear em, as long as the intention stays purely for the occasion and NOT showing off or the fashion parade concept.

I myself used to think of the ladies fashion parade but ladies here can elaborate more on it, besides, it is i believe a drawback in our community if this does exist and we should try and change the perspective of our young generation and possibly the old as well. As if we do change our younger generation's perspective, eventually this habit would be eradicated.

And it is true, generally speaking that we tend to do stuff to elevate our status infront of other people be it in the mosque or anywhere else. what we should understand is, in God's view we are all the same, be it in a posh outfit or a poor one. we should learn to stay together, help eachother, build more bridges with specially the "low" stated people so to speak and you know, thats what islam is all about in this matter. About our appearance, i guess we should try more and more to dress up to look more decent and to make sure, whatever our appearance be, it should not make us "high" or "elevated" then the others. we should apply ourselves to be able to merge with anybody specially the poor. we have lots of examples from our blessed infallibles by which we could follow, one of them is the Lady of the Worlds, Lady Fatema [as] whos character is so perfect that should we follow her views, ways, sayings and way of life, it is merely hard to track back from the path of Allah [swt]. Inshalah May Allah help and guide us in his righteous path.

Again, it would be more effective, if our sisters here in this forum give us a concise inside story and please, do point out if i have incorrectly said anything.

peace to all.

ma'salaam.
By Muhammad Mahdi
imzy wrote:as long as you can afford something, clothes in this case there is no harm to buy and wear em,
true but there are some people who use up tp 250$ per gown per khushali. Calculate the amount of money being spent. Cant that same money be used for a better cause.

Imam Ali, who could afford the best of clothes, had 2 pairs of clothes, which he washed and wore. Shouldnt we take an example from the Imam.

I think I understand what u say. True one is allowed to spend. But the thing is people spend too much. And whats more, they dress up in the expensive clothes to show others. Isnt this a kind of minor shirk?
By imz
thanks brother muhammed, i get your point, but again the most we can do is speak out, increase awareness and im definetly with you as far as a better cause is concerned. there are people across the globe who cannot even afford to get food let alone provide shelters for their family. but back to the point, the quote you took out from my post, it is an abstract expression by which you are free to get what you want but another concept comes into mind of increasing awareness, sharing and caring. because whatever we get it is Allah [swt]'s blessing. I thought you would understand but thanks though for pointing it out, now I dont mean people who can afford, can buy a hundred dollar thing to wear, we all can sacrifice a lil bit and wear a modest dress and inshallah spend the rest on charity.

As i said previously, we have our blessed infallibles whom we can follow as they had spent their lives, granted we cannot do everything that they have achieved and done but atleast we could try and be good muslims.

shirk? i dont think so, unless you can elaborate more on this point. but generally, i do agree with you too. it would be beneficial if we had more sisters' view in this topic inshallah.

p.e.a.c.e
As Salaamun Aleykum

I know it doesn’t apply to all the ladies, but as according to my research, it applies to a “majority”. I mean, their first priority must be for attending the Masjid, at least most of them, but dressing up to the richest and showing off must be their second and there’s no doubt in it. It’s “Logic!” If one puts on to expensive clothes costing $100, $150, he/ she will want others to know about it, which would let the person be proud enough to talk about it (cost, material, place of purchase, etc) and which would as well lead to show off-ness. However, our sisters know better so let us wait for them to contribute a little on this topic.

If I agree to how our mothers and sisters spend almost $100 - $200 on a single suit, then I’m simply insane! I will completely be going against what Islam has taught me. Fashion changes every once, twice a week in India. Majority of the shops buy these clothes from India every once a month. Now imagine if this becomes a habit!? Secondly, the suit will be worn once, twice, thrice and thrown in the cupboard. What a waste! Let us think about the people who can’t afford a single meal to survive. Do we then practice this habit?

Good points from both of you. Al hamdulillah. We need some contribution from the sisters as well.

Muntazir Al Mahdi
By Sayyeda
Salaam alaikum,

Interesting topic going on...

I do not know about the khoja community elsewhere but particularly referring to Dar es Salaam, I agree with Muntazir.

I must emphasize that this does NOT apply to all the ladies in DAR but to majority of them.

To be honest, some of our mothers and sisters do not repeat wearing the same clothes in khushali's. They say "I've worn this clothe once, I need another one for the khushali coming up". Its not bad to get another suit, but the prices are sky high and as Munatzir has said... you wear it once/twice, its dumped in the cupboard then!

About the chader falling off at the main gate. Well if you have a decent clothing on, and you've covered your head... then I donot see any problem. But unfortunately that's not the case.

As I said earlier, this does not apply to all the ladies in Dar... but to most of them.

We need to think about this... esp on the purchase of expensive clothes which are worn maximum 3-4 times.
As Salaamun Aleykum

Thank you very much for your contribution sister Sayyeda. We need more sisters involved in this topic so that we can understand this situation better and come to a conclusion.

Just a little something that I would like to explain on what I had posted earlier

It’s about the “Chador falling off at the main gate”. - I meant to say that when women wear these "Sky High" expensive clothes, just as they enter the gate the value of the Chador drops below the sea level and the Parade begins. This is one of the most common acts that take place in the western society. It so happens at a teenage when one attends school or college.

They say "I've worn this clothe once, I need another one for the Khush Ya Ali coming up". - Sister, I totally agree with you on this.

Was-salaam
By abuali
I would be lying if I claimed to know what goes on among the ladies circle although I have heard similar reports.

I am afraid I cannot judge if it involves a majority or a minority (I hope its the latter).

This reminds me of the time when a Christian delegation from Najran was sent to meet and asses the man called 'Muhammad' (SAWW) which eventually led to the revelation of the ayat 3:61 and the famous Mubahela victory for Islam.

When they initialy approached the Prophet, they came adornign expensive, silky clothes with jewellery and refinement. The Prophet ignored them. Upon realising they were being ignored, they asked people what they should do and were adviced to take advice from a man named 'Ali' (AS) [reminds us of the prophetic tradition (paraphrased): If anyone understands Allah, its Ali and me. If anyone understands me its Allah and Ali. If anyone understands Ali, its Allah and me]. Imam Ali adviced them to approach the Prophet wearing simple and humble clothing and they would be welcomed. Upon doing so the Prophet welcomed them.
By Muntazir
As Salaamun Aleykum

Thank you brother Hasin, for a beautiful Hadith. We learn how those people realized and asked for advice. How lucky to be guided by such a person. How lucky to be welcomed by the Holy Prophet. We need to spread these messages to all the people around us so as to make them realize of the little mistakes.

Was-salaam
By Tayyaba
Salaam

first of all i would like to say that this does not only apply to the women in our community but also the gents...
as to what i think that if Allah has provided you with wealth then there isnt anything wrong in buying xpensive clothes BUT do not be xtravagant and it lies upon your intention...well yes we should raise awareness and learn from the ahlul bait..:)
By kulsham
Salaams.. i think fashion parade is going within men more than women.. i have seen many men doing this fashion parade by buying the most expensive and goodlooking CARS and MOBILE Phones. a 100 $ dress problem can be solved but a 50,000 US $ car? thats a real show off...
By Umm.aly
Just for the sake of argument: if women dont wear pretty clothes in the ladies mosque and "show off" where do they do it? (in moderation ofcorse)
By abuali
Muhaddisa wrote:Just for the sake of argument: if women dont wear pretty clothes in the ladies mosque and "show off" where do they do it? (in moderation ofcorse)
Just for the sake of argument: for their spouses, in their homes :)
Last edited by abuali on 26 Oct 2006, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

[KSIJ Dar] Announcements 📢 pinned a photo

[KSIJDar]

https://cdn4.cdn-telegram.org/file/n96vMaxJDq1U8S[…]

[KSIJ Dar] Announcements 📢 pinned a photo

Ask4help Counseling Helpline