Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Dialogues, discussion and debates between other faiths and sects.
Here i quote Sayed Mohammad Mahdi Al Husseini Al Modarresi
As for personal hygene, Imam Al Sadeq is reported to have said:

.. الْحَنِيفِيَّةَ وَ هِيَ عَشَرَةُ أَشْيَاءَ خَمْسَةٌ مِنْهَا فِي الرَّأْسِ وَ خَمْسَةٌ مِنْهَا فِي الْبَدَنِ فَأَمَّا الَّتِي فِي الرَّأْسِ فَأَخْذُ الشَّارِبِ وَ إِعْفَاءُ اللِّحَى وَ طَمُّ الشَّعْرِ وَ السِّوَاكُ وَ الْخِلَالُ وَ أَمَّا الَّتِي فِي الْبَدَنِ فَحَلْقُ الشَّعْرِ مِنَ الْبَدَنِ وَ الْخِتَانُ وَ تَقْلِيمُ الْأَظْفَارِ وَ الْغُسْلُ مِنَ الْجَنَابَةِ وَ الطَّهُورُ بِالْمَاءِ فَهَذِهِ الْحَنِيفِيَّةُ الظَّاهِرَةُ الَّتِي جَاءَ بِهَا إِبْرَاهِيمُ ع فَلَمْ تُنْسَخْ وَ لَا تُنْسَخُ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ. - وسائل‏الشيعة 2/117

Allah revealed the Hanifiah (i.e. True Religion) to Abraham which included 10 [hygienic] practices; 5 of them in the head, and five in the [rest of the] body. Those which are [associated with] the head are: Trimming (or shaving) the mustache, growing the beard, inundation of the hair, brushing the teeth, and using a toothpick. As for those practices which deal with the body, they are: shaving bodily hair, circumcision, clipping the nails, bathing after sexual intercourse (or any form of penetration or ejaculation), and ablution with water. For, indeed, these are parts of the manifest true religion which was revealed by Abraham and were not abrogated and will never be nullified until the day of resurrection.
But i was very close to the Wahhabis in Tanzania but i still think that Wahhabis in Tanzania are not yet the orignal Wahhabis who are in the middle east. I say that Wahhabis in Tanzania are a bit better than those who are in the middle-east. Because i met Wahhabis in Tanzania who are differentiated among themselves. There are those Somali Wahhabis who are Somali refugees in Tanzania and other pro-Somali Wahhabis who used to support the "UIC (Union of Islamic Courts in Somal)" headed by Sheikh Ahmed. They used to forbid killing and massacre. One Somali friend of mine in Tanzania who is a Wahhabi used to condemn al-Qaeeda and Taleban. He said that their intention was "good" but the way they use their Jihad is "not good". Now such are moderate Wahhabis who are even in majority in Eriteria and Somalia and Sheikh Tahir Oweys of al-Shabbab fighters in Somalia is one of them. They condemn the killings of Shia in Iraq and other parts of the world. But one friend told me in Syria ,"WAHHABIS ARE WAHHABIS. they are all the same"
Here in India, there are many Muslims who shave off their mustaches and I though they may be wahhabai. I asked one about Al-Qaeda and his viewpoint about them and he was very critical about them. Majority of the practicing good sunnis here keep long beards and remove their mustaches.
Interesting tradition,
Jababah al-Walibiyah states in al-Kafi:

“I once saw the Commander of the faithful, Ali (as) strolling in the courtyard with a two pronged staff and he was striking the fishmongers with it, who were selling fish which were unlawful to eat. And at the same time he was saying to them: O’ Fishmongers, you are similar to those who were from amongst the Banu Israil who were transformed (into apes), and similar to those who used to shave their beards and lengthen their moustaches from amongst the soldiers of Banu Marwan (who transgressed in the land).
Another tradition,
al-Saduq sites a narration of the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) in which he states:
“Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow and do not emulate the Jews”
Oddly enough, today's jews keep the full beard and the mustache. According to my understanding of this hadith we should not follow them and do otherwise.
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:Another tradition,
al-Saduq sites a narration of the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) in which he states:
“Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow and do not emulate the Jews”
Oddly enough, today's jews keep the full beard and the mustache. According to my understanding of this hadith we should not follow them and do otherwise.
If you think about it, the jews that do keep a beard are the orthodox jews that are against zionism.

The common zionist of today looks like a western-atheist. Clean shaven enough to be a model is a gillete ad

hasin wrote: I think your argument would carry more value if you could provide shia ulema or alim sources which we can all trust and believe in. If your claim that the shaving of the mustache is usually identified with wahabis is true, I think before you and I, our ulemas would have pointed it out and forewarned us about it.
Hm. .and why should the `ulema do that? A trait being identified with a particular Muslim sect, doesn't mean it is 'haraam' or reprehensible unless stated explicitly in fiqh.

To me, a Shi'a looks Shi'a by his appearance and behaviour, as does a Wahhabi or even a Sunni.

Thanks for posting the response by Sayyed Moderrrisi though.
Normally if a physical appearance (grooming, wearing of certain clothes etc) becomes so intrinsically associated with a people who, it is clear, are deviant and propagating evil, then it becomes part of fiqh to ensure that we do not appear to be 'with them'. The most important element is belief and akhlaq, but appearance counts as well, if its clearly identified with a deviant people.

Notice the tradition quoted by Al-Saduq from the Holy Prophet (as) about not emulating the jews. This was becasue the jews at the time had become deviant by denying (even though they knew it was haq) the clear proof of the Prophet (as). Hence associating with them, even by copying an appearance that had become clearly identified with them, was not allowed.
But i am very naive about some Sunni and Wahhabi Moslems in Tanzania who label Osama bin Laden as "Sheikh" just because he has beard on his face, or "Sheikh Saddam Hossein" or "Sheikh Fahd al-Su'ud". Maybe there are some other models for these illitrate Moslems: Sheikh Evidgor Liberman, Sheikh Benanki, Sheikh Fidel Castro, e.t.c. whoever has a beard, he is a "Sheikh" as if beard is "religion". Beard was an Arab tradition. Even people like Yazeed and Abujahl had beard on their face and that did not save them from Allah (swt)'s wrath

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline