Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
the latest inventions, innovations, advances and scientific breakthroughs, in the ever expanding world of 21st century science
By Zaheer
~~WHAT IS PHYSICS ~~

---Physics is a subject so bore .

It always makes me snore .

I can never reach its core .

Because This Subject is so bore .

---This subject is worth hating .

Be it magnetism , mechanics , electroplating.

Oh !!! Newton why were you born ?

Por it is due to you that my life is torn .

---Faraday , Thomsan , Rutherford , Einstein

You all ought to pay a fine .

You have created problems in our lives .

Why couldn't you concentrate only on your wives ?

---I wish i had been born in your time

And could finish you for this crime

I hate heat due to your joule .

Why did you have to play ghoul ?
By kulsham
you are posting useless forwards during chehlum?

banned for 10 days!
By Zaheer
banned what do u mean! i guess the moderators can ban me and the admin.
By kulsham
^^ i am an invisible mod :p

great! you ruined all the fun *SIGH!*
By qarrar
Zaheer wrote:~~WHAT IS PHYSICS ~~
Physics is the scientific study of matter and energy and how they interact with each other. This was the definition given to us in secondary school and I remember it till today. Fascinating subject, much better than the other two branches of science…
By Zaheer
thank you qarrar. Nice definition.
By kulsham
Physics is the study of ermmmm.... ummm....ehhh...*scratches head*
aaaaaahhhhh!
eeermmm.....
ahh...

*SNORES*
By Muhammad Mahdi
Physics is the study of matter in relation to energy. Thats what my Physics teacher defined Physics as. However, I prefer Zaheer's definition. :lol:
By kulsham
thanks to google!

The word physics is derived from Greek word fusis, meaning nature or natural things. As such, physics is defined as that branch of science, which studies natural phenomena in terms of basic laws and physical quantities. The study is generally structured to satisfy queries, arising from the observed events occurring around our world. In this sense, Physics answers questions about universe and the way elements of universe interact to compose natural phenomena.

The underlying principles in physics are simple and general, but defining (basic) in nature. Elements and quantities used to describe natural phenomena are also general and basic. The whole of universe, matter of fact, can be considered to be comprising of two basic quantities : (i) matter and (ii) energy. For this reason, some physicists rightly define physics as the study of matter and energy.

Domain of physics
Domain of physics extends from infinitesimal to infinite and is largely undefined. At one end of scale, there are quarks composing nucleons (neutrons and protons) and on the other end, there is galaxy, comprising of sun like stars as its constituents and an universe that we do not know much about.

In physics, domains are also defined in terms of various important attributes like speed, temperature and other physical quantities. In the domain defined by speed, we study both stationary objects and objects moving at very high speed, may be three – fourth of the speed of light. Thanks to the extraordinary efforts of scientist in the last two centuries that we, now, know of some of the important bounds of nature. For example, upper limit of speed is the speed of light. Similarly, lower limit of temperature is 0 K. These are some of the highlights of the development in the basic understanding of nature and its extent.

The uncertainty about domain of physics stems from the fact that new experiments and discoveries continuously break the bounds (limits) set before. For some time, the charge on electron was considered as the smallest lump of charge, but today after the discovery of quarks, we know that quarks carries lesser amount of charge than that carried by electrons. Thus, extent of physics is actually changing as we learn more and more about nature.

Generality
Theories of physics are extremely general, being the underlying governing principles of natural events extending to the whole universe. This aspect contrasts physics from other streams of science, which are often specific and sometimes localized. Generality of physics and its theories render physical laws to form the basic scientific framework upon which other braches of science are developed. Take the example of charged molecules called ion - a subject of investigation in Chemistry. The oppositely charged ions are, however, glued together under the influence of electrostatic force irrespective of the nature and type of ions and atoms/molecules involved. The magnitude of this electrostatic force is secular in that its magnitude is determined by inverse square law – whatever be the context and location.

Simplification and unification
Simplification and unification have emerged as the basic trait of physics. There are only few laws to define wide variety of natural phenomena – a fact that underlines the simplification of governing laws in physics. On the other hand, unification of physical quantities / concepts is also prevalent. Take the example of matter and energy. They are now considered equivalent. Special theory of relativity establishes equivalence of these two quantities as E=mc2. Further, dual nature of matter highlights wave (energy) nature of particle (mass), which reinforces the concept of mass-energy equivalence. Similarly, treatment of magnetism in terms of electrical charge is an example of unification of physical concepts.

Simplification can also be seen in the laws governing gravitation and electrostatics. Gravitational and electrical forces are conservative forces, determined by inverse square laws. The similarity of the forms of mathematical expressions is no coincidence, but a sure indication of the underlying nature of the universe, which emphasizes simplification :

FG=Gm1m2
4πr2
.......... Gravitation Force

FE=q1q2
4πɛ0r2
.......... Electrostatic Force

Simplification and unification of physical quantities, concepts and laws are remarkable, suggesting more such cases – which are yet to be discovered. Consider the physical quantities : “mass” and “charge”. There is yet no relationship connecting these two fundamental quantities of physics. Similarly, two major categories of forces known as nuclear and weak forces are not yet fully understood. Scientists are working to examine these unknown territories.

Scientific validation and experimental verification
The fundamental laws of physics are set against either too big or too small quantities, presenting a peculiar problem in establishing direct validation of basic theories in physics. Even today, there is not a single experimental set up which could directly verify Einstein’s theory of relativity. For example, mass of an electron moving at two – third of the speed of light can not be measured directly. As we do not see atoms and its constituents, theories based on them are also not directly verifiable. We can not even verify Newton’s first law of motion, which states that an object in the absence of net external force shall keep moving! We have seen all objects come to rest in the earth's frame of reference, when left unaided. This peculiarity, however, does not mean that these laws have not been validated as required for scientific studies.

It should be amply clear that scientific method for validation also includes inferences based on indirect measurements. In that sense, Einstein’s special theory of relativity has been tested and verified by results obtained from the experiments involving motions of charged particles at great speed. Surprising is the exactness and accuracy of the results obtained. In the same context, accuracy of predications involving solar systems, satellites etc. have validated laws of gravitation.

Recasting and revalidating laws in the light of new revelations
Studies and experiments continue to bring new details and dimensions to our understanding of natural phenomena. New revelations recast old facts, hypotheses and theories. The relativity theory propounded by Albert Einstein, for example, revealed that Newton’s laws of motions are basically a subset of more general theory. Similarly, Newton’s hypothesis regarding velocity of sound was recast by Laplace, arguing that propagation of sound is adiabatic and not isothermal process as considered by Newton. His assertion was based on the experimental result and was correct. There are many such occasions when an incomplete or erroneous understanding of natural event is recast or validated when new facts are analyzed.

There is a long way to go
Our knowledge about nature is improving progressively with every passing day. Yet our so called understanding at any point of time is subject to new revelation and meaning. Most of the time, we come to realize that our understanding is mostly limited to our surrounding and the context of application. It may sound bizarre but it is a fact that we have yet not fully understood even the basic concepts like distance, mass and time. Theory of relativity attached new meaning to these terms. It may not be totally brazen to think that even relativistic improvisations be ultimately incomplete and inaccurate. Who knows ?

-- Now don't post a thread stating WHAT IS CHEMISTRY!
By Zaheer
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! ALL THAT INFO MAN I'M NOT A PHYSICIST OR A PHYSICIAN
By Tayyaba
physics = every action has its equal and opposite reaction ( Isaac Newton) 3rd law of motion!!
By qarrar
All science is either physics or stamp collecting. Ernest Rutherford

Very strange people physicist – in my experience the ones who aren’t dead are in some way very ill. Douglas Adams

Physics is not difficult, it is just weird. Vincent Icke

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
i've noticed one thing so far...Physics is one of the most interstin subjects, with the condition tht u understand it. so if u guys all think "physics is a bore" tht goes 2 show tht ur jus 2 slow 2 understand it. u have a classical psychological problem of not wanting to say ur 2 DUMB 2 understand it.
By keenfarhan
Once u do a-levels u pretty well understand what a pain physics is lol... although other ppl do like it ( 0.0something% )... i think physics is more something ur born with lol... most of us wreck our heads to the maximum but never got it...

Personally i prefer chemistry and biology.

Ofcourse reading physics can be very interesting.. .but when u come to the formulas and solving the questions... God have mercy! Even teachers need to go and think about it... imagine the students.

I would define physics as " finding 10,000 ways of solving a problem that dont work in the end".
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline