Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Any and all media that doesn't fall in any other category above, should be posted here.
By m_sanchez
holla
I need some help guys. I am coming on excurion to tanzania and I would really like to use my GPS navigation system on my mobile phone. It is called nav4all and it is a pretty light programme to use. I was wondering if the local mobile network is capable of supporting this service, because i'm not very familiar with this type of technolgy. Has anyone heard of nav4all before or anyone used it...? any feedback i would appreciate, thanks :)
By Sayyeda
Hey,

Nah never heard of nav4all... what is it? :shock:

I don't know what it is used for, but if its something to do with the internet... then we do have a facility whereby you can access the internet through your phone! (in TZ)

Once again, this is only based on the assumption that nav4all is used to access the net, but would definately like to know what it is!
By Muhammad Mahdi
the internet is tanzania is through GPRS.
By abuali
Salaam (Peace be upon you) M. Sanchez and welcome to Ask.

For the benefit of those who may confuse GPS with GPRS, GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is used for navigation purposes. You may have recently heard of its use in modern cars to show you the location of streets and houses in cities.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any maps that have been designed for Tanzania for the use of a GPS system. Thats why i feel your phone GPS wont help you much while in TZ.

However, unless you are traversing through extremely remote locations, you may not require the GPS on your phone.

I have used GPS only when climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro...and that too to measure altitude and get the direction of the Holy Kaaba for the daily prayers.

Let us know should you have any need for further information.

To confirm (maybe the mobile service providers do provide the service), I have provided below websites/emails of the major mobile service providers below

Vodacom info@vodacom.co.tz
Buzz/Tigo not sure but check mybuzz.co.tz or tigo.co.tz
Celtel helpdesk@tz.celtel.com
Zantel try checking zantel.co.tz

In addition, if you visit the official site of nav4all, you will notice that they dont have Tanzania in the list of countries that they cover.
By m_sanchez
so most probably i'm not gonna be able to use it? i only would need a mobile operator and access to the sattelite, right?
By m_sanchez
yeah a friend of mine told me the other day that in order to access the internet, the netowrk should support such services... so i guess it does depend on the provider after all :roll:
By minhaal2000
I say ..we don't have and need these services, you'll see why when u arrive... Two months and ur still worried about GPS..??

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline