Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Do you need help with something? Is your computer acting weird? Or is that recipe just not working out? This is the place to ask for advice and help from the 'professional' membership of Ask!

Moderator: Syed Kazim

By Sayyeda
Whoa! How come I always overlooked this section?!

Anyway, I suppose dancing for a husband is allowed! However, if a wife can dance without the music, then its permissible to do so!

and for heavens sake why wud he want u to DANCE of all things.....!!!???? :roll:
Well, Guys are that way! Very odd I must say! Unlike, us girls! :)
By minhaal2000
what ever makes u happy!
But talking of odd thats an odd question there to begin with ausio?
By Sayyeda
Lol! :)

Naah, I dont think so! :P
By zafar
Wife is allowed to dance for a husband only and not even to other females and same goes with husband allowed to dance for wife and not to other male or female.
Only without music or halaal music is allowed.
By Muntazir
Bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Rahim

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Hmm! Married couples act really funny at times, no wonder they never want to live with their parents. Anyway, let me help with a few fatwas here:

Rules for Men:

It is not allowed for men to dance, except if one wants to dance for his wife.
Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Tabrizi & Ayatullah Lankarani

According to Ihtiyat-e Wajib, a man must not dance even if it is for his wife.
Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Araki, Ayatullah Gulpaygani & Ayatullah Behjat

It is not allowed for a man to dance for any reason, even for his wife.
Ayatullah Araki & Ayatullah Gulpaygani

In the prohibition of dancing for men, there is no difference in the types or ways it is performed.
Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Araki & Ayatullah Gulpaygani

Rules for Women:

It is not allowed for women to dance, except if one wants to dance for her husband. Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Gulpaygani & Ayatullah Tabrizi

According to Ihtiyat-e Wajib, a woman must not dance even if it is for her husband. Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Araki, Ayatullah Gulpaygani & Ayatullah Behjat

It is not allowed for a woman to dance for any reason, even for her husband.
Ayatullah Behjat

In the prohibition of dancing for women, there is no difference in the types or ways it is performed.
Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Araki & Ayatullah Gulpaygani

Rules for both Men and Women:

It is not a problem to dance for those of the same sex as long as nothing Haraam is involved.
Ayatullah Lankarani & Ayatullah Tabrizi

It is a problem to dance for those of the same sex on any circumstances.
Imam Khomeini, Ayatullah Araki, Ayatullah Gulpaygani & Ayatullah Behjat

The actual act of dancing is not Haraam, unless it is associated with a Haraam act. Ayatullah Tabrizi & Ayatullah Lankarani

This dancing comes from the same root as vain and futile amusements.
Ayatullah Gulpaygani

I hope this helps.

Muntazir Al Mahdi
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Brother Zafar,
I did not understand this Halaal Music that you're talking about. Can you please explain what this Halaal Music is and how does it allow us to dance by listening to it? I mean, the only Halaal Music I know is on Prophet Muhammad, Allah, War, etc. etc. then how can someone dance by listening to such music? (Nasheeds) Wouldn't this be Haraam? Please provide us with some resources if you have used one.

Thank you.
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

These are a few rules from Ayatullah Sayyed Ali Seestani

Q178: Is it permissible for a wife to dance for her husband in order to provide him happiness and to excite him?

A: This is permissible for her. (FM, p. 436)

Q179: . . . her dancing in front of others?

A: It is not permissible for her to dance in front of any other but her husband amongst the men [rather, it is not permissible for her to dance in front of women as well]. (FM, p. 436)

Q180: . . . a man dancing in front of men or women other than his wife?

A: Likewise, it is not permissible. (FM, p. 437)
By bongo
some music is permissible,

Ayatullah Sistani
535. Music is an art that has spread far and wide during these days. Some varieties of this art are permissible while others are forbidden; therefore, it is permissible to listen to the first while it is forbidden to listen to the latter.
I did not understand this Halaal Music that you're talking about.
By Muhammad Mahdi
bongo can you please explain this statement? What types of music are halaal?
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Zafar, you have misunderstood my question. Let me clarify

You said,
"Wife is allowed to dance for a husband only and not even to other females and same goes with husband allowed to dance for wife and not to other male or female.
"Only without music or halaal music is allowed."
I asked you,
I did not understand this Halaal Music that you're talking about. Can you please explain what this Halaal Music is and how does it allow us to dance by listening to it? I mean, the only Halaal Music I know is on Prophet Muhammad, Allah, War, etc. etc. then how can someone dance by listening to such music? (Nasheeds) Wouldn't this be Haraam? Please provide us with some resources if you have used one.

Thank you.
I wasn't asking if we're allowed to listen to Halaal Music, no. I was asking about the Halaal Music on which Muslims are allowed to Dance. I mean, is there really some type of Halaal Music on which we Muslims are allowed to Dance to?

I don't understand, how can a Muslim dance by listening to Halaal Music which contain names of our beloved Prophet Muhammad and Allah (s.w.a)? Please explain and give reference?

Thank you.
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Sorry, I forgot to include this strong point.

I mean, when a wife dances for her husband, or the husband for the wife, it is logic that they will be sexually aroused by the movements. Do you think it is then appropriate dancing to Halaal Music which contains names of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (p.a.b.b.u.h.a.h.f) and Allah (s.w.a)?

Thank you.
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Muhammad Mahdi, I hope this helps

536. Music that is permissible is the music that does not entail entertainment in gatherings held for that purpose. Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

537. The expression “the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings” does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. The expression actually means that the person listening to the music or the song’s tune —especially if he is an expert in these matters— can distinguish that this tune is used in the entertainment and amusement gatherings or that it is similar to the tunes used therein.

548. Question: Is it permissible to listen to religious songs in praise of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) that are accompanied with music?

Answer: Songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm absolutely. However, singing praise [of the Prophet or the Ahlul Bayt] that is sung with a good tune but is not in ghinã’ form is without problem.

As for the music, it would be allowed, if it is not suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings.

Thank you
By zafar
Zafar, you have misunderstood my question

Alaikum Salam Bro Muntazir,

Are you refering to Bongo?
By zafar
Very nice thoughtful questions Muntazir,

Correct me if I am wrong.

I think there is confusion with music.
Do you think it is then appropriate dancing to Halaal Music which contains names of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (p.a.b.b.u.h.a.h.f) and Allah (s.w.a)?

I think Music refers to sound of musical instruments and not human words which can be reffered as poetry

Therefore when you combine music poetry and tune you get songs eg bollywood songs

Thereby a music can be by itself just sound of instruments and no words.

And as I have said music is classified as haraam and halaal.

Halaal music can be War music, Some church music, animal music like birds etc.

Poonam can use those to dance for her husband.
By Muntazir

As Salaamu 'aleykum

It does make sense, but it’s difficult to understand if you’re not being more specific because “Music” is being interpreted differently these days.

Let me give you an example:
Music – “singing with the playing of instruments”. – google.com

Definitions of music on the Web:

Musical activity (singing or whistling etc)

Music is the ninth album by singer Madonna, released in 2000

Music might be diegetic (a song on the radio of a car a character is driving) or nondiegetic (scary music when a villain appears on screen).

And we have topics on Music where we talk about the actual “Singing Music”. You know what I’m trying to say. I’m sure most of us who read:
thought you were talking about some type of “Singing Music” and not just the tune or the melody. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

To be more specific, you meant Musical tunes.

Now it makes perfect sense.

Just to be sure of this, can you please provide us with a ruling from Ayatullah Sistani, allowing of dancing with the Musical tunes?

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline