Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A dedicated forum to share all the news and happenings around the world. Share breaking news and other controversial news that you may have come across.
Salaam Alaykum

Several densely populated areas in Dar es Salaam were flooded after 3 days of heavy rainfall that started on Thursday evening (11 Apr 2014). The areas most severely affected are those where the low-income earners reside. They have no choice but to live (and die) with the flood and the loss it brings.

"Bridges have been washed away or developed cracks because of heavy rainfall that started on Friday," Dar es Salaam Special Zone Regional Police Commander Commissioner Suleiman Kova told Sabahi on Monday (April 14th). "Water is flowing on top of the bridges and most areas are flooded."
Ali Bandali, a volunteer with the Khoja Shia Ithnaasheri Jamaat (KSIJ) Task Force, carries a child to safety from flooding in the Chamazi area near Dar es Salaam on April 12, 2014. [Daniel Hayduk / AFP]
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (69.15 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
I have spoken to some people who are unfortunate enough to be living in the areas affected. One of them told me:

'My house which luckily is on a hill has become an island with water surrounding it on all four sides. The water is black and smells foul. It flows with a force that is so strong that I have seen cows being carried away. I have also witnessed four bodies floating away. They were dead and bloated'
Sabahi Online reported

Asha Salum, 44, a resident of Jangwani area in Dar es Salaam, said when the rain started Friday morning at 9 am, she thought it would be an ordinary rainfall.

"But after two hours, the water started piling up and slowly trickled into our house," she said. "By 11 am the sitting room was full of water."

"I heard noise from my neighbours who had started moving their belongings outside, where it was even worse because it was continuing to rain. Then came a wave of water from the side of Muhimbili, which almost submerged our houses," Salum told Sabahi.

Mariam Ndelego, a 47-year-old stay-at-home mother whose house is located in Mkwajuni area, said she tried to gather her cooking pots, glasses and bed sheets, but when the wave of water came, it washed away everything in front of her.

"I could not even try to run for them because the water was moving them at a very fast speed you cannot imagine," Ndelego told Sabahi. "What I did was to collect my two kids and run away from my house very fast. That is what saved our lives, but my neighbour, Abdallah, who remained inside was entangled and died."

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline