Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A dedicated forum to share all the news and happenings around the world. Share breaking news and other controversial news that you may have come across.
By Sayyeda
As Salaamun Alaykum,

I got this email recently...

Apple's "Mecca Project" Provokes Muslim Reaction

On October 10, 2006, an Islamist website posted a message alerting Muslims to what it claims is a new insult to Islam. According to the message, the cube-shaped building which is being constructed in New York City, on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets in midtown Manhattan, is clearly meant to provoke Muslims. The fact that the building resembles the Ka'ba (see picture below), is called "Apple Mecca," is intended to be open 24 hours a day like the Ka'ba, and moreover, contains bars selling alcoholic beverages, constitutes a blatant insult to Islam. The message urges Muslims to spread this alert, in hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project."

I searched on the internet... and this is what I found:

Apparently the folks over at the Tajdeed forum have just caught wind of the fact that Apple has opened a new store in Manhattan in the shape of a futuristic cube, and they are not happy about the fact that the cube resembles the Ka'aba and that the store is nicknamed Apple Mecca.

Is this going to be another cartoon jihad? Nah- the jihadis like their iPods too much!

Here's what they are saying:

Ka'aba Manhattan: It stays open until morning!!

Apple Company, producers of the Macintosh, has open a store selling Apple products in Manhattan. The store is huge, and its design closely resembles that of the Ka'aba in Holy Mecca. Not only that, but it is named Apple Mecca. The store will keep its doors open 24 hours a day and contains all that the users of Apple computers could want. Plus it has places of rest and amusement, and bars and restaurants.

Muslims see in the name and the design and the activities in the building another new insult on their religion.

Any comments??? :shock:
By Sayyeda
According to a report on The Middle East Media Research Institute, Apple's NY Fifth Avenue store has been slammed by "an Islamic website" as a "new insult to Islam".

The reason? Well, it resembles the Muslims' sacred Ka'ba, situated in the Masjid al-Haram mosque in Mecca:

The "Islamic website" claims that since the offending structure is known as the "Apple Mecca", and "contains bars selling alcoholic beverages", it constitutes "a blatant insult to Islam". The site accordingly calls on Muslims to spread the word in the hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project".

Sadly, it's a bit late for that, since the store opened for business back in May. We do have some good news, though. As far as we're aware it's not called the "Apple Mecca", it does not serve alcoholic beverages, and neither Jack Straw nor Salman Rushdie work behind the counter. ®

:?
By qarrar
Apple Store Fifth Avenue

By Sayyeda
Received this email.... would be better if we got some feedback from people residing in NY... :?

Attention Editor/Webmaster

Please forward this to Mr. Husain Jafri, originator of the email "project" Re: Mock Kaaba in NY

I received an email originating from your organisation about the "mock kaaba". If I may kindly suggest, please do not use such flabbergasting statements as it does not represent the Ka'aba. The finished structure is made entirely of glass and while it may "resemble" our sacred Mosque, it is purely coincidental. It is an unnecessary outcry and instigation thus resulting in the current reflection of Islam & Muslims in the eyes of the non believers.

I called Apple to verify. The black wooden surrounding was wood and is sometimes used in construction projects to cover the structure prior to revealing it. I live in New York and I have seen it. This photograph is old. Attached is the finisihed structure. I hope this email is construed as constructive before it gets out of hand. Kindly distribute to your email list.

Please, as a Muslim, verify your information prior to sending out emails. Some innocent Muslims may be victims of such statements and it is the last thing needed in this day and age. Don't put them in a position as such.

Iltemase Dua

Nazir Khaki

By abuali
I wonder if Apple would publicly admit that they copied the idea from 'kaaba' even if they did.

The issue to investigate is if they came up with this project as a replica of the kaaba or not (as mentioned is some newscasts...remaining open 24/7 like the kaaba) and how apple has reacted to muslim concerns worldwide.

I agree with Nazir that information has to be verified though. However I am not prepared to digest the following from his email: -
do not use such flabbergasting statements as it does not represent the Ka'aba. The finished structure is made entirely of glass and while it may "resemble" our sacred Mosque, it is purely coincidental.
Flabbergasting??

Coincidental according to whom? Apple? Yeah right. If someone had made a building in the shape of an apple with a bite gone, Apple would have surely sued them. Think again.

The 6th Imam died in Madinah on 25th Shawwal, 148 […]

Thus is so true honestly, even though it's been ov[…]

Al An'aam (The Cattle)

Short tafsir on Suratul An'aam (The Cattle) Part 1[…]

jannat-ul-baqi-a-brief-history_f.jpg Name of Bo[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline