Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The sad first month of the Islamic calendar during which the family of the Holy Prophet were faced with a great ordeal and tragedy.
By changing-muslim
S/a

Wow! Heavy points out there, so all the pros n cons of zanjeer weighed. Yet still no one came forward in supporting it? Hm..Im kinda surprised.
Well okay, here's a first...I support Zanjeer Fully, atleast the kind of Zanjeer I did, i.e taking normal blade and chains zanjeers and NOT surgical blades or knifes. Anyways, this is a couple of responses of mine to your quieries:
1. Why should we do it?
Well, it is a form of Azadari. To me, it is the most extreme form and most physical form of azadari. Okay, having said that, brings me to my next qn:
2. Why be so physical and agressive and look like extremities (or barbarians) to other religions, when we can just do all the azadri by crying?
Well, its not all that simple! Everyone expresses grief differently. Some people cry and they feel contended to the fact that they have expressed their greif in terms of crying, and so dont resort neccesarily to other forms of Azadari like Severe Matam or Zanjeer.
However, others are unable to express greif in terms of crying (I mean..they just cant get tears out of their eyes!), they feel the pain, but they cant come upto the point of tears. Well to them, they feel that Maybe, if they beat their chests harder then others or do ZANJEER, to THEM it is azadari, they feel contented, a similar contentment that if felt by those who cry.
3. How do we know that Zanjeer/ Extreme Matam is just done for 'Azadari' and not show off?
Well, like i mentioned above, Azadari is on an individual basis. If this is the case, the matter of show-off is also on an individual basis. Eg: One person might go with the intent on doing Azadari interms of Zanjeer, on the other hand another (esp. Young kids) do it to show off, (well most do at least!). At the end of the day, it is done to the person themselves.
4. If so, then should we discourage kids from doing it?
NO! Our imams encourage teaching young kids Islamic rituals even when they are non - baligh or unable to understand. So why not train them with Zanjeer too at this young age, and inshallah, as they grow older, they will realise why they do Zanjeer. However, they should not be forced into doing it! Infact, it is showoff that got me into Zanjeer!! lol
5. If those who are doing as Azadari are not intending to show off, how sure are they that they might not later change their niyyat?
Well, we can never be sure, and that is why we are Humans. In other words, pride or Riyah ( I think!) is very un-noticeable in humans. I have heard my Malim in madressa having narrated to us a Ahadith of the Holy Prophet: ' Riyah (Pride) is like a black ant, crawling on the black stone, in the middle of the night'. So we conclude, it is highly unnoticeable. And so, intensions might change. However, we should pray to Allah, to help stay away from Riyah and keep to the right path.

I hope I have answered a few doubts. Well, I apologize for all the spelling mistakes and typing errors. Please feel free to correct my views!
Wasalaam.
By Tayyaba
Salaam Changin Muslim..

thank you very much for ur view..well i totally agree with you...!! Imam Hussein is with all of us..and insh our Azadari will reach the non muslims ears (ameen) . thanks once again...
By changing-muslim
S/a

Tayyaba,
Alhamdullilah, Thanks alot for your response. I was worried no one would read this, since i kind of posted it late and now that arusha is behind us for this year, this topic will grow cold. Please pass on the message to anyone who has doubts about zanjeer. And if you come up with any futhur enquiries about the topic, I will try my level best to answer it.

W/s
By changing-muslim
Opps! that's Ashura and NOT arusha!

Seems am making too many typing errors lately!

Sorry once again..
By Sayyeda
Salaam Alaikum,

Well thank you very much 'Changing-Muslim' for your post. It sure cleared a few doubts!

Hehe! While reading ur second post, I was wondering why u mentioning Arusha out of the blue! LOL!!!
By Tanveer
Just a little something regarding Zanjeer that I came across a children's book....

"When our Youths do the maatam of Zanjeer and blood flows from their chests, it is a message to the enemies of Islam that we are the followers of Imam Hussein (a.s) and that we would not hesitate to give our blood for Islam as did Imam Hussein (a.s) for the purpose of saving Islam.
By abuali
Allahu Akbar

Alhamdulilah, this forum in itself is a sign of what Ask is all about.

The forum started with doubts and questions, and by the grace of Allah has ended with conviction that Zanjeer is definitely valid.

I was waiting for the forum to reach this stage before i post the following compilation of Fatwas by various marja's in relation to zanjeer.

This compilation has been done by Sayyid Murtaza Rizvi.

Click here to view the compilation document with all the fatwas/rules of various Mujtahids with regards to Zanjeer

Inshallah by now all doubts have been cleared, and the misinterpretations of the fatwas have been clarified.

May Allah accept all our azadari in whichever form it may be in.

My deepest gratitude to all the members who took the time to research and post information for this purpose. Allah(SWT) repays in manifold.
By Muhammad
In the name of Allah the most beneficient the most merciful
although its almost 1 year since this forum was introduced i stil would like to put my own opinion on zanjeer...
come across ANY WAJIB act...be it namaaz,roza,hajj etc etc...IF there is harm to the body there is a way out..if prayers cant be establishd the normal way it should be done sittin...stil if not possible it should be done sleepin...even if thats not possible it should be done with "ishara"....
my point is that if there are alternates for WAJIB acts if it harms the body then wot about "recommended" act(if it is one..)...
i dont say it harms each and every1 bt well thats my opinion...(bt is does!cummon!)
n dont get me rong that i discourage azadari..no...
kind regards
Mohamed
By qarrar
Verdicts of Marajay on AZADARI for Imam Hussain (p)

Here are some of hundreds of Fatawa, or verdicts, by eminent marajay of Shiite World regarding Azadari of Chief of Martyrs:

Grand Ayatullah ash-Sheikh Muhammad Hussain an-Naa’ini

(The teacher of the Marajay of the holy city of Najaf)

“There is no doubt as to the permissibility of the beating of the chest and the face with the hands to the point of redness or blackness (of the chest or the face). This is also extended to the lashing of the shoulders and the back with chains to the extent mentioned (above), and even if this led to bleeding. As for causing the bleeding of the head by sword beating, this is also allowed provided it does not lead to endangering harm, such as unstoppable bleeding or harm to the scull, etc. as it is known amongst the experts in doing this (hitting on the head).”

The above Fatwa by Grand Ayatullah ash-Sheikh Muhammad Hussain an-Naa’ini was endorsed and signed by the following eminent Marajay:

Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Mohsen al-Hakim,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad Kaadhem al-Shari’at Madari,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Abd-el-A’la as-Sabzewary,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Abul-Qassim al-Kho’i,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad Ridha al-Gulpaygani,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Ali al-Hussaini as-Seestani,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad Saadiq ar-Rouhani,
Ayatullah al-Udhma al-Mirza Jawaad al-Tabrizi,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Sheikh Hussain al-Waheed al-Khurasani
And many other Maraje’ and eminent scholars…

Ayatollah al-Udhma al-Seyyid al-Kho’i
(The former leader of the Hawzah of the holy city of Najaf)

Question: Is there any problem with causing the bleeding of the head – TATBIR – as it is practiced, to express one’s grief about the martyrdom of our Imam Hussain peace be upon him, assuming there is going to be no permanent harm?

Answer: There is no problem with that, given the assumption made in the question, and Allah knows best.

Question: You stated that there is no problem in causing the bleeding of the head – known as TATBIR – if it does not lead to harm. It is said that it is not more than a permissible act, then can TATBIR be MUSTAHAB – desirable – if the intention was the upholding and honouring the Sha’a’er – signs of Allah – and sympathy with the Ahl-ul-Bayt, peace be upon them?

Answer: Most probably Allah Almighty would give thawab – reward (the individual) – for sympathising with the Ahl-ul-Bayt if the intention is sincere.

Grand Ayatullah as-Seyyid ash-Shirazi

Question: Some individuals say that I do not see shedding my tears as enough to express my grief for Imam Hussain (AS), his household and his followers on the day of Ashura. So is hitting myself with sword and injuring myself is allowed?

Answer: The Hussaini Sha’a’er, including TATBIR, are some of the RAAJIH issues. TATBIR is a MUSTAHAB deed, unless it leads to death, loss of limb, or loss of faculties. (RAAJIH means MUSTAHAB that could become WAJIB depending on the circumstances – translator.).

Question: What is your opinion regarding hitting the head with sword – TATBIR – on the day of Ashura whether or not it harms the individual.

Answer: The most common and widely known opinion of the Fuqaha (scholars) is that the desirability (of TATBIR) is in it not being extremely harmful.

Question: What is your opinion regarding the reports that Lady Zaynab peace be upon her, when she saw the head of her brother Imam Hussain peace be upon him, being paraded in public hit her forehead on the bar of the carriage she was travelling in, causing bleeding to flow from beneath her veil, which was visible to onlookers who witnessed the event?

Answer: Yes that is proven.

{Some of the famous references, which confirm the above report, are as follows:
Bihaar al-Anwaar; volume 45, page 114,
Jalaa’ al-‘Oyun; volume 2, page 238,
Zaynab al-Kubra; page 112,
Asraar ash-Shahadah; page 474,

Al-Muntakhab; volume 2, page 478,
Nusrat-ul-Madhlum; page 18

Needless to say that ‘Allamah al-Majlisi – compiler of Bihaar al-Anwaar – and Sheikh al-Shari’ah al-Isfahani have confirmed the authenticity of the report.}

Ayatullah ash-Sheikh Abdul Kareem al-Ha’ery

(The Founder of the current Hawzah in the holy city of Qum)

“The hitting of swords on the heads (causing bleeding) is alright (allowed) provided there is no harm to the person doing this. Furthermore no one has the right to prohibit this (hitting the head with sword). In fact all kinds of TA’ZIAH – mourning – for SEYYED ASH-SHUHADA’ Imam Hussain may our souls be sacrificed for him, are MUSTAHAB – desirable deeds.”

The above Fatwa by Ayatullah ash-Sheikh Abdul Kareem al-Ha’ery was endorsed and signed by the following eminent Marajay:
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Sheikh Muhammad al-Araki,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad Ridha al-Gulpaygani,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Shahab-el-Deen al-Mar’ashi al-Najafi,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Hassan al-Tabataba’e al-Qummi,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad al-Waheedi,
Ayatullah al-Udhma al-Mirza Jawaad al-Tabrizi,
Ayatullah al-Udhma as-Seyyid Muhammad Saadiq al-Rouhani,
Ayatullah al-Udhma Muhammad Mahdi al-Lankaroudi
And many other Marajay and eminent scholars …

Grand Ayatullah Abul Hassan Asfahani

Grand Ayatullah Abul Hassan Asfahani is that greatly respected and honoured figure who was once asked by some muqasereen type people to give Fatwa (verdict) saying that mourners have crossed the limits in performing Azadari-e-Madhloom (perhaps they mean hitting back and shoulders with rzaers and head with swords).

On this the Ayatullah said: Az Madar-e-Hussain mee tarsem (I fear Hussain’s mother). This matter is between Hussain and his mourners.

(This event and these words have been heard by Ulama-e-Karam and it is the talk of town).

Grand Ayatullah as-Seyyid as-Seestani

(The current leader of the Hawzah of the holy city of Najaf)

Question: What is the ruling regarding the lashing with chains, chest beating, and walking on fire on the occasion of mourning the martyrdom of Imam Hussain peace be upon him?

Answer: If (these are) not associated with extreme harm or loss of limb, there is no objection.

Question: What is the ruling regarding wearing black, and chest beating when commemorating the martyrdom of Imam Hussain peace be upon him, as well as other infallible Imams peace be upon them?

Answer: This is permissible, and in fact this is regarded as one of the best means of seeking nearness to Allah, since it is upholding and honouring the Sha’a’er of Allah Almighty. [This is a reference to the Qur’anic Ayah 22:32. – translator.]

For more verdicts visit: http://www.tnfj.org.pk

[KSIJ Dar] Announcements 📢 pinned a photo

[KSIJDar]

https://cdn4.cdn-telegram.org/file/OT0C8nj-97f5o1[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline