Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The sad first month of the Islamic calendar during which the family of the Holy Prophet were faced with a great ordeal and tragedy.
By abuali
(bismillah)
(salam)

In a PET Publication biography of Mukhtar, there is an interesting account referring to Imam Hussain (as)'s brother Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah.

It describes at length the prediction of Imam Ali (as) about the going into ghaib of Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah and the actual incidents leading to his disappearance.

This was the first time I came across these incidents.

I am wondering if these are sourced from reliable ahadith.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that there exists a sect that believe that Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah is the Mahdi whose glad tidings were announced by the Holy Prophet (as).
Hmm...Interesting...

The reliable narrations about the Mahdi mention that he is from the progeny of the Prophet (saww). Muhammad al-Hanafiyya (note: not ibn al-Hanafiyya, since he was Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib) was not a descendant of the Prophet (saww), since he was the son of Imam Ali (as) from a wife other that Lady Fatimah (as).
By abuali
The reason he is ibn al-Hanafiyyah is because his mother was known as Hanafiyyah since she was from the Bani Hanafiyyah tribe.

Your reason, and several others clearly prove that this Muhammad was not the Mahdi (as). However, the similarities of name and belief by the Kaisaniya tribe in him being an Imam as well as the narrations of his going into ghaibat can explain the confusion of those who believe in him being the Mahdi (as).

My interest is however historical. Did he go into ghaibat? Or is he buried in Madina as other sources state?
By abuali
For reference, find attached link [pdf, 2.4MB] the relevant pages from the book.

Although the going into ghaibat or occultation of Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah is described in the last page, I have included a few of the earlier pages for context.

Apologies for the poor quality, its taken using a phone camera.

Can someone provide any reliable historical information if Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah is truly in ghaibat like Prophet Khidr or not?
By abuali
Fatimah Zahra Karim wrote:Hmm...Interesting...

The reliable narrations about the Mahdi mention that he is from the progeny of the Prophet (saww). Muhammad al-Hanafiyya (note: not ibn al-Hanafiyya, since he was Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib) was not a descendant of the Prophet (saww), since he was the son of Imam Ali (as) from a wife other that Lady Fatimah (as).
You are right in that he is most commonly referred to as Muhammad-e-Hanafiya.

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline