Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The sad first month of the Islamic calendar during which the family of the Holy Prophet were faced with a great ordeal and tragedy.
(bismillah)
(salam)

Adhamallahu ujoorana wa ujoorakum

we present our condolences to Imam al Asr (atfs) and muslimeen on this sad occassion of the 40th of the martyrdom of Imam Hussain (as).

I came across the following on wikipedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arba'een ... ected=true
Arba'een (Arabic: اربعين‎, means "forty"), or Chelom, is the one of the largest pilgrimage gatherings on earth in which over 10 million people go to the city of Karbala in Iraq.
subhanallah.

I have heard from majalis that Imam Sajjad (as), bibi Zaynab (as) and the other members of the holy family were held captive for 1 year and upon release arrived at Karbala one year after the event on the 20 Safar.

Recently I heard a zakir say that it's possible they were in Karbala during the first chehlum. This would mean that their trip from Karbala to Kufa to Sham and back to Karbala including the imprisonment would have happened in 40 days.

Has anyone ever thought about or researched this?
Well, it seems highly unlikely to me that the slow camel trips and the numerous attempts at embarrassing the holy personalities (and their eloquent speeches at these functions) all took a mere forty days. To add to this, they were imprisoned in shaam for a long time that the 4th Imam called shaam the greatest musibat.
The first time I heard about the idea that Imam Ali Zayn Al Abideen (as) and the caravan were back in Karbala by the 40th of Ashura was while watching a discussion on Ahlulbayt TV during Safar. This was mentioned by Br. Ammar Nakshwani in response to a question and he said according to his research on the 11th Muharram the caravan left for and reached Kufa and stayed there for 3 days before leaving for Shaam. It took them 7-10 (cant remember exact days he said) days to reach Shaam and were imprisioned there for 10 days before being released and allowed to return. He said he has proof from riwayat for his conclusions, but did not elaborate further.
Syed Ammar again mentioned this historical aspect of the 40 day journey in his lecture on the biography of Imam Hussain (as) in Dar es Salaam (listen to his lecture on the same here)

I would love to have a look at the narrations from which the above can be deduced. Does anyone know of any hadeeth or sources for the same?

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline