Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The sad first month of the Islamic calendar during which the family of the Holy Prophet were faced with a great ordeal and tragedy.
1. It's absolute injustice and needs to stop asap
42%
2. There is nothing wrong with consuming delicious foods on Ashura
8%
3. Khichdo is not a delicious food so no problem
50%
By abuali
(bismillah)
(salam)

In Dar es Salaam there is a custom of khichdo being served together with daal and roti after te azadaari of Imam Hussain (as) comes to a halt with Ziyarat, roughly at the time of Asr. Ice cream is also distributed to children and some adults.

The question I beg to ask to all of us who partake in this culture: is it befitting as azadaari of the mazloom Imam that we consume delicious foods such as khichdo and ice cream on the very day that our Imam was butchered mercilessly?
The roti and dry daal are usually of small quantities so I guess they would be easier to handle since they would finish before all the rush begins.

And I don't see a meatless khichdo coming. [up]
What is going on...Food is food and these kind of discussions do not bring any light on the events of Ashura....We need to remember that the main purpose of Ashura is that it should not stop there which means it needs to bring a change in us and make us follow the path of Imam....
Once upon a time, long long ago, people brought food from home on ashura day...some brought daal, some meat curry, some brought other things, and to make it easy to distribute, the volunteers mixed stuff up and thus, khichdo was born...

Don't think there's anything wrong with the khichdo, but icecream, yeah...that's too much...
Food is important in the sense that there are foods we eat when we mourn, such as daal...simple, inexpensive, and not a treat; then there are foods we eat in times of celebration, chocolate, ice-cream, cake, etc. It should feel wrong to have the celebratory kinds of food on a day when we're supposed to be mourning. Would any of us consider having Blackforest cake with lots of yummy cream or our favourite ice cream on a day when a close family member/friend passed away?
Pilipili and masalo dont give you acidity, and ice cream doesn't relieve it, so there is no argument there, bro :P

As for the heat and energy, there's cold water (a luxury the Imam did not have, but no one protests), and give out a few dates...they have a higher energy content than ice cream.
By Muntazir
In the name of 'Allah - the Lover of those who love the Loved One.

The problem with this community is that it focuses a lot in food and eating.

Every corner you take one finds chicken and chips, mishkaki and nundu. Everyone wants to eat chicken and chips almost every day and make their stomach a graveyard. What happens? Heart becomes hard like a rock. Oh wait... worse than a rock! [see Surah al-Baqarah, at the end]

Now when you stop a group of people who habituate in such surroundings, you're literally sacrificing yourself as a meal to the wild animals, whereas even animals have their balanced diet! [Find article on animal diet on google]

Yawm al-'Ashoora is a day in which if you would want to prepare food then it should be for those who are deprived of it. But unfortunately, you would find some so called Shi'as of today not bothered acting upon the teachings of our Prophet and the holy Imams and the pure ladies ['a.s]. One would find many miskeen wal fuqaraa outside the masaajid or on the streets waiting to be fed or helped while we leave with our bellies popping out like the darbaar of Yazid [la'natullaahi 'alayh]. This has been happening since long time now!

If I present the traditions by which a true Shi'a is characterized, one would start doubting if one is even a real Muslim, let alone Muslim. [Refer Usool al-Kafi, Al-Khisaal, Misbaah ash-Shari'ah, ...]

When people would visit the Imams ['a.s] and say, we are shi'as, the Imams ['a.s] would send them away without meeting them. Why? Are we approved as Shi'as to our Imam al-Mahdi ['a.j]? We are just likers of the Ahl al-Bayt ['a.s], not lovers, and insha'Allah we should try to become the lovers and then the Shi'as. Hadha Haqiqatuna! [Source: Refer to Al-Ghaybah by al-Qunawi. A book MUST to be read by all Shi'as!]

I apologize sharing this with the reader and I hope to be forgiven if I said anything wrong. May 'Allah accept our a'maals and pray that we realize who Imam 'Ali ['a.s] and the rest of the progeny ['a.s] were and what they wanted and sacrificed for us so that we know the reality and be closer to 'Allah and only wish and long for Him.

Please remember us in your prayers.
Hasin, the food has to be such that it can attract people to come to mosque as well.

Foods like Biryani are known to be luxurious but khichdo on the other hand is not so.
It is a delicious food (though not considered to be luxurious), which when combined with all the other benefits mentioned above makes an ideal nyaz item.

As for ice cream, IMO it should be avoided. That is luxurious and so not be consumed on a day like Ashura. Cold water and juice are more than enuf.

ANd while we are on the subject, whats up with the milk sherbert on Ashura night?
Salaam Alikum.

If we focus on the more important aspects of Ashura, there will be no need to discuss the menu for that day. Let us go beyond FOOD and focus on life reforms based on the revolution of Kerbala. I am surprised to see an active discussion on Khichdo... whereas the forum on "What i learnt from majaalis" is less active!

It is unfortunate to see our youths debating KHICHDO whereas thousands of people in this country are hungry, some sick and yet others unable to afford even the simple basics of life!

What makes us SHIA? Crying, Maatam, Nyaz and Khichdo? - or putting our feet on the ground and walk in the stride of holy ones?

How about we make this year's Ahura a different experience. Let us form a group of youths who will on the day of Ashura arrange for some cooked food that will be distributed in the love of Hussain to a community of poor people.... Sure some may be doing this already... no harm in joinging hands in a good cause...

If this is appealing let us get our act together... I suggest khichdo ;) for the menu!
By Mazhar
Salaam Brother Muntazir,

I can understand your frustration at the discussion of the menu on Ashura day,it, at first glance, does seem pointless.However, if the poster of the topic had thought that the consumption of khichdo, which is seen by some to be luxurious, undermines that persons azaadari, then, perhaphs his starting the thread is justifed?

What we need to consider is if the consumption of the particular items mentioned in the thread-khichdo and ice cream being the questioned ones- are luxurious. If they are deemed as such, then perhaphs we are not doing the azaadari justice.

I suppose the ice cream is a means of rehydrating people, now i know one may ask, why not water? But the fact of the matter is that people dont drink enough water, at least not as much as they should be drinking, and even if a person does drink enough, the event of kerbala is such that one may forget or may even feel the need to not drink water.

It is very important that we get the message of Kerbala, in that as Br Muntazir has said-it is putting our feet on the ground and walking in the stride of the Holy ones.

Ilt dua

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline