SRSS and beard keeping by students

Everything else that comes under the 'social' banner
abuali
Ask Admin

SRSS and beard keeping by students

Postby abuali » 15 Jan 2006, 14:55

Salaams All

Recently it has come to my attention that Shaaban Robert Secondary Schools imposes a rule which doesnt allow any student to sport a beard.

A question to all those studying in Shaaban Robert, Is this true? If so, how strict is this rule?
qarrar
Ask Pro
Ask Pro

Re: SRSS and beard keeping by students

Postby qarrar » 16 Jan 2006, 15:21

hasin wrote:Recently it has come to my attention that Shaaban Robert Secondary Schools imposes a rule which doesnt allow any student to sport a beard. A question to all those studying in Shaaban Robert, Is this true? If so, how strict is this rule?

According to me this isn’t something new. It has been a rule for a while now. Ilboru in Arusha have the same rule, but I don’t think its enforced very strictly because I had a friends studying there and he had kept a beard, though he did mention that sometimes the assembly would become time for assault by the teachers due to the same reason. :)
How does he, whose guardian is Allah, get perished? And how can he, who is being pursued by Allah, get salvation? (Imam Mohammad Taqi (as))
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 16 Jan 2006, 21:36

Really? I have never heard of it before. After my form four nationals, I was chosen to go to Ilboru but never digged any deeper about it.

In the case of SRSS I have heard that it is enforced strictly. However, I have also found out that the Bohora community wrote a letter to the school requesting them to allow Bohora students to sport a beard, and they were allowed.

If this is so, we should do the same.

Any SRSS students to comment?
Yas
Ask Senior
Ask Senior

Postby Yas » 22 Jan 2006, 02:47

That's pathetic. I know of a secondary school where headscarves are banned (it's a christian missionary school so yeah) but we had a long protest with them including getting a letter signed by some pretty major government official, but they never budged. I reckon if there's such a rule, we gotta oust it. :|
δ ע ∂ ∫ .>>
Muhammad
Ask Mod

Postby Muhammad » 05 Nov 2006, 15:13

In His name the Most high
yes indeed keeping a beard is not allowed in SRSS but for the Sikhs(and maybe bohoras).
1 of the reasons i dint join the school for my A levels was the same.
If i am not mistaken Br.Hassanain Rajabali had gone to talk to the head last ramadhan when he came to dar.still no development.
Oh more good news..The deputy head is a "SHIA" and does not allow students to PRAY in her office..and mehndi NOT allowed..although these r mustahab acts (praying on time and mehndi) this shows how "SHIA" leaders actually make a DEVELOPMENT in todays era.
Where is our 12th IMAM (ATFS)?
"The ink of a scholar is holier than the blood of a martyr"
Muhammad Mahdi
Ask Addict
Ask Addict

Postby Muhammad Mahdi » 05 Nov 2006, 15:42

mendhi is not allowed for unmarried girls. Not hijab
(thais is what i think)
The educated man has the right to manipulate the ignorant, if the ignorance of the of the ignorant is due to his own ignorance.
Muhammad
Ask Mod

Postby Muhammad » 05 Nov 2006, 15:44

wow...if thats a rule isnt it violated to its maximum!!??
Muhammad Mahdi
Ask Addict
Ask Addict

Postby Muhammad Mahdi » 05 Nov 2006, 16:29

(V)$ wrote:wow...if thats a rule isnt it violated to its maximum!!??

meaning that many girls apply mendhi?
The educated man has the right to manipulate the ignorant, if the ignorance of the of the ignorant is due to his own ignorance.
Muhammad
Ask Mod

Postby Muhammad » 05 Nov 2006, 21:51

to my knowledge YES
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 05 Nov 2006, 21:58

I believe if we can approach Jamaat to write an official letter to SRSS requesting them to allow our students to sport beards impressing upon them thats its a necessary act of faith, SRSS will have to allow as they cannot officially stop someone from practicing their faith.

As for the prayers in the deputys office, maybe she can help setup use of another room for prayers...we tried to do so in mzizima when we were there and we were given permission.

Mehndi...someone should start that topic in the relevant forum and lets discuss its permissibility...
Muhammad
Ask Mod

Postby Muhammad » 08 Nov 2006, 21:14

if the letter hasnt been tried, it should be followed upon. let me talk to my mates and will update.
we pray our daily zohorain prayers at mzizima in the gardens.but i wouldnt bet on the shaban students about getting a room for prayers!!!
knowledgeseeker
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby knowledgeseeker » 03 Mar 2007, 16:19

(V)$ wrote:In His name the Most high
yes indeed keeping a beard is not allowed in SRSS but for the Sikhs(and maybe bohoras).
1 of the reasons i dint join the school for my A levels was the same.
If i am not mistaken Br.Hassanain Rajabali had gone to talk to the head last ramadhan when he came to dar.still no development.
Oh more good news..The deputy head is a "SHIA" and does not allow students to PRAY in her office..and mehndi NOT allowed..although these r mustahab acts (praying on time and mehndi) this shows how "SHIA" leaders actually make a DEVELOPMENT in todays era.
Where is our 12th IMAM (ATFS)?

In His name the Most high the MOst Merciful.
Salaam Alaykum.
Agree that SRSS does not allow boys to keep their beard. Earlier on, there was no Islamic Dress in SRSS also. But My parents wrote a letter and fought for Islamic Dress and It was intrduced that year. I was in Form 1. I remember my Mum made many efforts and visits to the ''shia'' you are talking about.
As for the beard, I think the parents are not trying hard enough to insist and write a letter. If they do I think it will be possible and Mind you, I was there for 4 years so i know the situation.
As for praying, In Dar, school finishes at 2. So you can go home and pray!!!
And yes, the jamaat should be able to help.
...kidnapping of Israeli soldiers are our natural right and the only logical way ... to highlight internationally the suffering of thousands of Lebanese, Palestinian and Arab prisoners in Israeli jails - Hizbullah Leader Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah
knowledgeseeker
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby knowledgeseeker » 03 Mar 2007, 16:19

Muhammad Mahdi wrote:mendhi is not allowed for unmarried girls. Not hijab
(thais is what i think)

Yeah u r right. It is attractive. And even I m guilty of it :$
...kidnapping of Israeli soldiers are our natural right and the only logical way ... to highlight internationally the suffering of thousands of Lebanese, Palestinian and Arab prisoners in Israeli jails - Hizbullah Leader Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah
SyedBaqir
Ask Member
Ask Member

Re: SRSS and beard keeping by students

Postby SyedBaqir » 02 Mar 2008, 16:13

To the best of my knowledge, I did my A-levels there, and I never got a problem with it.

Yes, the wahhabi style beards are definitly not allowed.

The school administration has made it clear that it wants an official letter from the jamaat requesting its member students be allowed to keep their beards; something which a few students did approach the Hon Secretary for , but unfortunately, did not receive a positive response.

The fact that I and other shia students could keep a beard is a clear evidence of the efforts by the shia deputy to preserve our rights despite lack of commitments from the students themselves.

Moreover, Shia students are never bothered for absence letters for Ashura Day; and a letter addressed to the shia deputy in advance has always resulted in a positive response as far as absence on 21st ramadhan is concerned.

To say that Shia's are being unfairly discriminated against is totally untrue. The school has always given chances to responsible shias when they deserved it. eg for the past five years, leading members of the students council were shias, editors of the school magazines were shias for the past four consecutive years.

In relation to their population, the few positions that shias do have is a very big achievement.

It is obvious that the if you do not ask the school for some concessions in a proper manner , the school will not come on its own and give it to you.
Imam Ali (as) said: "Do not talk about knowledge with the foolish so that they deny you, nor with the ignorant so that they find you oppressive, but talk about it with those of its people whom you meet who will accept it and understand it.".

Return to “General Social Issues”