Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...
ABOUT THE AUTHOR OF THIS BOOK:
ABUL-HASAN MUHAMMAD IBN AHMAD IBN ALI IBN HASAN AL-QUMI
KNOWN AS
IBN SHADHAN
Abu’l-Hassan Muhammed ibn Ahmad ibn Ali ibn al-Hassa ibn Shadhan al-Qummi(resident of Qum) al-Imami is one of the master scholars and jurisprudents of the Imamiyah sect. He was the mentor of grand scholars like Abu’l-Fath al-Karajaki and al-Najashi, a master biographer. He is the nephew of Shaykh Abul Qasim Ja’far ibn Muhammed ibn Qawlawayh al-Qummi. According to some biographers, Ibn Shadhan might have been an Arab personality of Al-Kufah who was exiled to Persia, Qum in specific, because of his having embraced Shi’ism and held fast to the loyalty to the Ahl al-Bayt(as).
His father, also called Abu’l-Abbas Ibn Shadhan, was one of the jurisprudents of the Imamiyah Sect. He wrote books like “al-Amali” and “Zad al-Musafir”.
Ibn Shadhan was one of the great scholars who safeguarded the heritage and knowledge of the Ahl-al bayt(as) by writing and publishing several works that sheared this treasure.
As for this book whose title in its original language is “mi’atu manqabatin min manqibi amirul mu’minina aliy ibni abi talibin wal-a’immati min wildih (one hundred virtues of the Commander of the believers, Ali ibn Abi Talib, and the Imam from his descendents)”, This book specifically has had a great impact on the muslim world because the author has carefully selected the sources of the narratives from Sunnites books, thereby eliminating any doubt of bias.
This book specifically has had a great impact on the muslim world because the author has carefully selected the sources of the narratives from Sunnites books, thereby eliminating any doubt of bias.

Those who study the history of Islam can conclude that whenever corrupt, bribal writers tried to insert doubt into peoples’ hearts through their spiteful writings, it was always our scholars who undertook the mission of fighting against such vicious works through writing, publishing, and distributing precious, authentic writing works, such as this book, which is avoid of any personal opinion.

Both sunni and shi’ite scholars have depended upon ibn Shadhan as a trustworthy, reliable narrator whose and theses are theses are dependable

THE BOOK:

Let us read the following text that is addressed by the compiler of this book to the addressee:
“ O shaykh! May Allah prolong your life! I have collected for you that which you requested and desired from the merits of Amirul Mu’minin…as reported from ways of narration approved and adopted by Sunni Scholars. They are 100 in number. Hence, you may adhere to and learn them so that you will be guided to the right path.”
In point of fact, the merits and virtues of Imam Ali (AS) are too abundant to be comprehended by any writer, therefore, a writer whom compiles such merits has in fact only reffered to a brilliant flash among these lights of truth, justice, and true guidance that exist in the personality of this Imam, since his merits are uncounted and no pen can ever enumerate them and no tongue can ever have a handle on them.

The compiler of this book has referred to the series of authority to the holy Prophet(saww) who”does not speak out of desire; its naught but revelation that is revealed.” In the 99th virtue, the compiler reports the Holy Prophet(saww) as saying:
“Even if all trees are pens and all seas are ink, and all the Jinn are counters, and all human beings are writers, they shall not be able to count the excellent virtues of Ali ibn Abi Talib.”

In the 100th virtue, he cites the following saying as reported from the holy prophet (saww):
“Almighty Allah has granted my brother, Ali ibn Abi Talib, excellent virtues that are too numerous to count. If one mentions one of these virtues having faithin it, Almighty Allah will forgive all of his past and future sins. And if one writes one of his virtues, the angels will seek forgiveness for him as long as that written text continues to exist. And if one listens to one of his virtues, Almighty Allah will forgive all the sins that he committed using his ears. And if one reads a book about his virtues, Almighty Allah wil,l forgive all of his sins that he committed using his eyes. To look at Ali ibn Abi Talib is a kind of worship. Almighty Allah does not accept the beliefs of one who does not declare loyality to Ali’s Divinely commissioned Leadership and does not renounce his enemies.”

Speaking of Imam Ali’s innumerable virtues , Abdullah ibn Abbas was one asked,”Glory be to Allah! How numerous the virtues and merits of Ali are! I believe that they may be even 3000!”
Answering him, Abdullah ibn Abbas said,”You should have said 30000 at least so that you may be closer to the truth!(manaqib al-Khwarzmi,pp.3)

In this respect, Muhammed ibn Mansur has reported that he heard Ahmad ibn Hanbal -the found of the Hanbaliyah Jurisprudential School, died in AH 214-saying, “None of the Holy Prophet’s companions has ever attained the number of Ali ibn Abi Talib’s virtues.(Ibid)

Like Ahmad ibn Hanbal, scholars and traditionists-such as Isma’il ibn Ishaq and Ahmad ibn Shu’ayb al-Nassa’i-have unanimously agreed that Imam Ali enjoyed virtues and merits that no one else has enjoyed.(al-Isi’ab by ibn Abd al-Barr, 2:466; al-Sawa’iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, pp.118, Nur al-Absar, by al-Shabalnaji, pp.73)

Even those known for their hostility to Imam Ali (as) could not hide confessing to his excellence and priority to all other companions of the Holy prophet. For instance, al-Jahiz says,”whenever precedence to islam, asceticism, and altruism are mentioned, none can be preceded to Ali.” (al-Tha’alibi, in Thimar al-Qulub, pp.67, has mentioned this confession of al-Jahiz).

The best description of Imam Ali’s merits and priority has been depicted by Muhammad ibn Idris al-Shafi’i-the founder of the shafi’iyyah jurisprudental school- who is reported to have answered those who asked him about the rank of Imam Ali, “What can I say about the merits of a man whose enemies tried to hide his virtues out of their malice, rage, and of their fear for themselves. Nevertheless, his merits and virtues have manifested themselves between these 2 in such a way that they are outspreading everywhere.”(Al-Khiyabani, in Waqa’i al-Ayyam 3:474, has reported this saying from al-Anwar al-Bahiyyah. It is also mentioned in al-Daylami’s Irshad al-Qulub, pp.210.)
This statement stands for clear evidence for the circumstances that encompassed the Imam(as) and the vicious attempts of the rulers to hide and even misrepresent his merits and virtues. This fact is too obvious to require proofs. Nonetheless, let us quote the following paragraph from ibn Abi l-Hadid’s Sharh Nahj al-Balagha: 1:16:
“…I was the caller to prayer of so-and-so’s family. Every morning, I used to “curse”Ali one thousand times! In the beginning of each Adhaan. On Fridays, I would repeat it four thousand times…

The rulling authorities threatened everybody who would praise Imam Ali with sentencing to Death. Moreover, they banned the reporting of any tradition showing the excellence of Imam Ali(as). Exceeding all limits, they also prevented the people from naming their newborns with the name of the Imam(as). All such procedures could never belittle him, rather, they raised his standing and increased his excellences. Hence, he was just like musk; whenever its suppressed, its scent spreads more; and just like the sun whose light cannot be hidden by a hand; and just like sunlight; when its hidden from one eye, many other eyes can see it.”

In the face of such testimonies, astonishement cannot attack us, because we have full faith in Imam Ali’s unmatced personality, since none can comprehends him as exactly as he is in reality. Al-Barsi, in Mashariq Anwar al-yaqin, pp.112, has quoted the Holy Prophet(Saww) as saying:
“O Ali: none can realize your reality save Almighty Allah and Me; and none can realizen my reality save Allah and you; and none can comprehend Allah save you and me.”

In conclusion, the fllowing book comprising ibn Shadhan’s compilation of Imam Ali’s virtues and merits is only a little drop in an ocean.
Last edited by Reyhana on 27 Sep 2011, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline