Bookworm's Corner!!

A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...

Moderator: Umm.aly

Do u like to read?

Reading is like oxygen to me!
71%
So-so..
29%
Not my cup of tea!
No votes

Total votes: 24
Umm.aly
Ask Mod

Postby Umm.aly » 12 Oct 2006, 22:27

Salaams..
Came across this real nice book in Tabligh Bookstore (Dar es Salaam)
The title is One Hundred fifty lessons for life written by Ayatullah N. Makarem Shirazi
Its based on sayings of the Aimmah and simple lessons we derive from their lessons.. its a light read and very simple nothing heavy. Ideal for a bedtime read!
Price of the book currently is Tshs 1,000/-.
maz
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby maz » 13 Nov 2006, 21:26

Salaams
Nice to see im not the only harry potter fan......Some of the really good books ive come across include The Godfather By Mario Puzo(this is a must read)
Others are A matter of honor ....one of the first novels i read think it was by jeffrey archer(his books are pretty good the likes of kane n abel)
The Hobbit is also a very very good book its the prequel to lord of the rings
All for now
Umm.aly
Ask Mod

Postby Umm.aly » 13 Nov 2006, 22:00

Yup i found a matter of honour pretty gud! my fav jeffery archer book todate is The elevnth commandment which i just finished reading for the 4th time! :)
Hav u read the Prodigal Daughter the sequel to Kane and abel? i bought it coz i cudnt wait to borrow from sumone but i wasnt all tht impressed by it as i was in Kane and abel..
maz
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby maz » 13 Nov 2006, 22:23

Wow Four times!!! Cant blame u i read potter five 7 times(maybe more)
Yeah ive read the prodigal daughter...got shouted at as well was only 13 wen i read it :) n i honestly dont remember it very well though it wasnt as.......fast paced?as kane n abel
Do u know wer i can get cheap books or if there is a library here as buying does get expensive...id appreciate it
Umm.aly
Ask Mod

Postby Umm.aly » 15 Nov 2006, 02:33

Yeah ive read the prodigal daughter...got shouted at as well was only 13 wen i read it n i honestly dont remember it very well though it wasnt as.......fast paced?as kane n abel

Yeah its not as thrilling as Kane and Abel was..

Do u know wer i can get cheap books or if there is a library here as buying does get expensive...id appreciate it

Well for cheap books i think Samora Avenue/Independence street would have them but i doubt if you will get a gud choice.. most of them are all second hand ones..
i belive sometimes 'a novel idea' at slipway holds a megasale where you cn get sum gud books at a cheaper price then wat they wud normally sell..

As for library i think british council would have a gud collection m not sure tho.. however they gv u a tour of their library before you decide to register there as a member..

Dar es Salaam Printers have quite a good collection of books, but unfortunately they r quite expensive too..
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 15 Nov 2006, 19:40

you may want to try Tanzania Library Services along Bibi Titi Mohammed Road...i read quite a few good books from there including one of the 'Shannara' books by Terry Brooks

Its extremely cheap to become a member
Muhammad Mahdi
Ask Addict
Ask Addict

Postby Muhammad Mahdi » 16 Nov 2006, 21:07

You can buy books from TBST (Code canada), but not much choice
The educated man has the right to manipulate the ignorant, if the ignorance of the of the ignorant is due to his own ignorance.
kulsham
Ask Mod

Postby kulsham » 17 Nov 2006, 03:14

i like reading online blogs.
Syed Kazim
Ask Mod

Postby Syed Kazim » 17 Nov 2006, 17:17

has anyone read "When Darkness Comes"? or "If you could see what i hear"?
Syed Kazim
Ask Mod

Postby Syed Kazim » 17 Nov 2006, 17:18

kulsham wrote:i like reading online blogs.
do u blog?
maz
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby maz » 29 Nov 2006, 21:29

Salams
Thanks all for ur replies wil try goin to these places
One more book which i liked was EMPEROR-the gates of Rome there are four parts in this series(read only 1) but definitely worth a read..its a fictional book on the life of julius caesar
ramzan
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby ramzan » 29 Apr 2007, 15:40

to tell you the truth i hate reading books which have 500 pages,i believe thr just a waste of time(its not the same like watching a movie).but once i was going thru a lib and i came across a book 150 pages 'night without end', an action adventure story. this book changed my idea on books i used to believe books are crap(and i still cant read the 500 ones i wonder how ppl can?)
if one says he's readin a book to increase his knowledge or depth then i say thers a better way. one can also increase his knowledge by watching a movie, discovery, natgeo, hangin out etc.
books are not the only source of intellect
ramz-6
Muhammad Mahdi
Ask Addict
Ask Addict

Postby Muhammad Mahdi » 29 Apr 2007, 20:04

Watching movies and stuff makes you lazy
The educated man has the right to manipulate the ignorant, if the ignorance of the of the ignorant is due to his own ignorance.
knowledgeseeker
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby knowledgeseeker » 11 May 2007, 21:01

Salaams all...
Just like FAB, I had decline H.P a number of times b4 getting hooked to it.. its real kewl...
About John Grisham - He's amazing.. I love his Book the Street Lawyer - amazing.. my favourite.. I also like Jeffery Archer.. hes amazing too..

About Daughters of Another Path, I would say its amazing too.. read it quite a while ago tooo...

I would recommend ''The Elexir of Love''. this is a biography of Shaikh Rajab Ali Kahyyat. An illetrate man who reached the heights of piety.. That book is amazing.. I would highly reccomend it to everybody!!
...kidnapping of Israeli soldiers are our natural right and the only logical way ... to highlight internationally the suffering of thousands of Lebanese, Palestinian and Arab prisoners in Israeli jails - Hizbullah Leader Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah
Syed Kazim
Ask Mod

Postby Syed Kazim » 15 May 2007, 20:25

Return to “Book Reviews”