Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...

Do u like to read?

Reading is like oxygen to me!
71%
So-so..
29%
Not my cup of tea!
No votes
0%
By imz
salaam alaykum.

i definetly agree with you. As far as i think, not everyone in this world reads book to such an extent that there may not be other sources to enhance or increase one's intellect, knowledge. It is upon oneself to realise what the best way to get it is. for instance, one may find it easier and more productive to watch telivision shows e.g. research channels, etc. or audio/video media such as online lectures, seminars, or books even - or maybe all of the above mentioned avenues.
By Umm.aly
Salaams,

Its been very long since this corner has been active. Dont think we have stopped reading, but we've just stopped writing about what we have read!

Finished reading an Islamic fiction book yesterday called 'Surviving Zahra' by Fatema Aly Jaffer. Anyone read it?

Its a story that unfolds during a wedding, so lots of cultural and traditional exposure, some of it Islamic and some just traditional as our weddings usually are.

It addresses an issue that is not much thought about, and rather treated as taboo in our society, yet in these times today, it actually could happen. So this story is how the girl deals with this misfortune.

If anyone has read this book, would love to hear your comments about it.
By abuali
imz wrote:salaam alaykum.

i definetly agree with you. As far as i think, not everyone in this world reads book to such an extent that there may not be other sources to enhance or increase one's intellect, knowledge. It is upon oneself to realise what the best way to get it is. for instance, one may find it easier and more productive to watch telivision shows e.g. research channels, etc. or audio/video media such as online lectures, seminars, or books even - or maybe all of the above mentioned avenues.
I dont think tv shows can come close to what can be gained from books. Yes, audio-visual aid helps in learning but can never do what books can.

One of the reasons I believe this is true is that the benefits derived from TV are far outnumbered by the harms it cause in society. I mean, you will agree that TV is mostly used for Entertainment. How many of us can say that we spend a majority of our TV time watching purely educational material?

By the way educational material on TV also has very questionable content. And because it has audio-visual content, the ideas of the producers (even if they are corrupt) be forced down our throats using semi-hypnotic methods.
By Reyhana
BLACK THURSDAY
The present book was written by Dr.Muhammad Tejani as-samawi, the famed author of THEN I WAS GUIDED. Those who have read other books of this author will know that he has a special style of writing, which is well arranged and lucid at the same time.
The subject of this book, as usual is a point of controversy between the two largest sects of Islam. It concerns an incident at the end of the life of the Holy Prophet, when He asked for writing materials to dictate a will, but the people present around him said that he was talking nonsense. According to Shia people, it was a very serious matter, whereas the majority of Muslims try to justify such things, as per their habit.
In this book, you will know who that person was who had the audacity to cast such aspersion on the Messenger of Allah. It is really a matter of great astonishment that millions among the Muslims nation consider him to be a leader of Islam, eligible to be followed by others!
I leave it for the readers to find out themselves who this person is and decide it if they consider him worthy of any LEADERSHIP.
The book black Thursday is a story of a grievous incident that occurred hundreds of years ago. However, the Islamic Ummah (nation) feels the pain of this incident even today and it will continue to do so forever.
You are requested to recollect that horrible incident when the last Prophet Muhammed was in the final days of his Worldy life.The prophet appointed Ussamah ibn Zaid as the commander of his army and ordered Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and other Companions to join the army, but the three delayed the departure of army saying that the Prophet was not keeping well. The mother of faithful, Ayesha, was giving them reports from time to time.
She kept her Father informed of every event, because she wanted him to lead the congregational prayer in Medina so that the foundation caliphate may be laid.
The prophet was in severe pain and when he saw people making a commotion, he inquired about the matter. He was told that Abu bakr was leading the congregation.
When He heard this, he forgot all his pains and taking support of Imam Ali(as) and Abbas, went to the mosque and moved Abu Bakr and led the prayer himself.
By leading the prayer himself, the Prophet completely destroyed the foundation of Abu Bakr’s Caliphate. The Chief of the Prophets expressed his anger over delay in the departure of Usamah’s army.
A grievous incident occurred during those days in Medina. It was Thursday. The Prophet was in severe pain and the people who had stopped the departure of Usamah’s army were present in His house and they visited him during His sickness. Umar was in the forefront of this Group.
The Prophet asked for a pen and paper, so that He could write something whereby the community may be saved from misguidance after Him. He said: I leave behind among you two HEAVY things-the Book of ALLAH and MY AHLUL BAYT. If you hold unto them, you would not get deviated after Me. The will not separate from each another till they meet Me at the cistern of Kauthar.
Umar disobeyed the Prophet’s order, saying that the book of Allah(Qur’an) was enough for them. He also said that Muhammed was talking “RUBBISH”. The prophet got angry at this and ordered them to leave the place. The Prophet’s order was disobeyed in his life itself. What have been done to his sayings after He passed away?
Umar’s statement cannot be proved as good intention or personal exertion (ijtihaad) in any manner.
The description of this incident and justification Ahl al-Sunnah scholars are very weak. To prove their weakness, Iwould like to put forward excerpts from Allamah Sayyid Abdul Hussain Sharafuddin’s books, AN-NAAS WAL IJTIHAAD AND AND AL-MURAJAAT…….........

SOME INTERESTING TOPICS OF THE BOOK:
 PART ONE: THE MATTER OF WILL…
*Proofs of Ali’s Caliphate……………………………………………………………….&
*What did the Prophet want to write…………………………………………...&
*Fabrication of traditions during Muawiyah’s reign………………………&
*Ali’s service to Islam……..,etc

 PART TWO: A PROBE INTO SAQIFAH
*Analysis of the incidents at saqifah………………………………………………………...………..
*Another face of the saqifah regime………………………………………………………...……….
*Shura(consultation)……………………………………………………………………………………….…
*Ali’s protest in shura meeting……………………………………………………………….………….
*Yet onother(third) face to saqifah…………………………………………………..….…………...
*Favors granted to Bani Umayyads…………………………………………………………….……..
*Wealth of some famous persons………………………………………………………………..…...
*Governmental policies of Uthman…………………………………………………………………...
*Uthman’s behavior with companions…………………………………………………………….…
*An important question that must be answerd Uthman’s Murder…………………….
*Conspiracies of Bani Umayyah after Uthman’s murder………e.t.c

 PART THREE: CALIPHATE OF AMIRUL MOMINEEN………………

 PART FOUR: THE ALLEGIANCE BREAKERS(NAKITHEEN)…………e.t.c

 PART FIVE: THE UNJUST GROUP( QASITEEN)…………e.t.c

 PART SIX: ARBITRATION-APOSTLES-IMAM”S MARTYRDOM

 PART SEVEN: GLIMPSES OF THE IMAM’S LIFE
*Ali in the verses of the Qur’an…………e.t.c

 PART EIGHT: GLIMPSES OF MUAWIYAH”S CHARACTER
#other examples of muawiyah’s deceit………e.t.c
Last edited by Reyhana on 25 Sep 2011, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
By Reyhana
According to my point of view,Good books are the main source of gaining knowledge and enlightening ones mind. The benefits gained by reading good books is unparalleled.

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline