Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...

Are all books good to be read?

Yes, regardless of content as reading is knowledge
No votes
0%
No, not those which have immoral and sexual content
100%
By abuali
Salaams

With the establishment of Bab-ul-Ilm library (kudos to the people behind it), we have taken one step closer towards a reading culture.

I believe, like all media, books have to be approached with caution. Individuals and wary-parents may take a lot of pain in censoring what TV shows their children watch and which sites they visit, however, many of us do not approach books with the same skepticism

The fact of the matter is many many books out there have content that is detrimental and harmful to our morality and spirituality. And there are many many more that are just outright haram to read (based on their content).

The more I observe the more I realize that what we are used to reading, and what the young men and women in schools (primary, secondary, college, uni) are reading, fall under questionable or haram categories.

What do you think about this?

Have you come across any book or series of books, that young men/women proudly claim to have read, but upon reading you realize that the content is questionable or downright immoral and/or adult?
By abuali
While i was in school, i remember books by the name of 'Sweet Valley High' were quite popular among the students (mostly girls).

Never having read any of them I cannot comment on their content. I have been told the content were very unethical and even immoral.

Can anyone confirm or refute this?
By abuali
Recently a book or books were released that were revolved around a 'teen vampire'.

Cant recall the name of the book/(s) but it seemed to be in the news and a movie was also in the news which was based on the novel.

I was told the content had immoral scenes in it. I was also told the main readers of this book are teenage girls, including from the muslim world.
By abuali
I have been the only one posting on this topic, but looking at how many people have read it, i am inclined to believe this is of interest to several of us.

It would be nice to have opinions of those who have read this or those who have an opinion on this issue.

Bab ul Ilm library, which is a milestone of achievement for our community, has books of at least one author who is reputed to have explicit sexual content. I wonder if this has been allowed by the jamaat and if so on what grounds?

Are the parents whose children members at the library aware that books with explicit sexual content are available to read/borrow?
By Umm.aly
(salam)

A very valid topic brought up. We really dont realise what we are reading and dont really question whether it is good content or not, or whether Islamically we would even be allowed to read such stuff. Unfortunately, i regret the time spent in reading alot of what i look back upon as junk!
Bab ul Ilm library, which is a milestone of achievement for our community, has books of at least one author who is reputed to have explicit sexual content. I wonder if this has been allowed by the jamaat and if so on what grounds?
I had seen a few random books that were clearly romantic in nature at Babul Ilm, however today i was shocked to see some brand new books in the library of the same type that apparently seem to be new releases. And they were clearly displayed as new arrivals right at the entrance.

I enquired with someone in charge regarding how such books were selected since we are a muslim organisation that too under the banner of 'Babul Ilm' (I assume the name was chosen in reverence to Imam Ali (a.s)) and she clearly said we are a general library and not an Islamic library specifically, therefore they were not limiting to only Islamic books but 'all' types of books. And anyways, people read such books outside, plus they restrict the borrowing age to 16 and above (???!!!!)

Does that make it ok for our community library to have such books? i asked her, why promote such books in our community, so what if people read it anyways, why should we encourage this by facilitating them? And again the same answer that this was not an Islamic Library only and perhaps by reading such books they might even one day come over to 'the other side' (therefore clearly what they were reading was wrong!!) And to conclude any further questioning, i was told Dr Alidina was told about the books that were available in the library and he said it was ok. Does he really know how explicit these books are? Why is it then when such scenes come on tv, we are quick to change the channel, but reading about such scenes is ok? I guess the library acknowledges that these books are not appropriate hence the age restriction! Does it say anywhere in shariah that once you reach the age of 16, its ok to read such books?

I was really disturbed at this and am wondering how we can rectify this matter? Or are we getting even more n more blinded by the glitter of the world?
By Reyhana
All books can never be good to read regardless of their contents.The effects/impression the contents of books leave on the mind of reader is overwhelming esp in young minds. I remember during my schooldays how most of the girls used to exchange immoral books without the knowledge of their parents,and hide them in their bags and read them in school. God knows from where they used to buy or borrow them.The effect on girls is more intense as I think maybe because they are more sentimental and get carried of emotionally into the world of fantasy. Parents should be very careful regarding what their kids are reading and encourage good books.

How disturbing are these events! May Almighty save us from these type of errors and blunders.I dont think any aalim/aalima can give permission for these.There must be some kind of mistake.

There is a hadith from one of our Aimmah, which tells us to cultivate good reading habits in our kids and to treasure good books as a time will come when only good books will be of benefit.[something like that].I have read that hadith myself, will try to find the exact words and post them.in the meantime if anyone knows it then please post it.
By abuali
So, the questions are:

1. Is there any policy under which Bab ul Ilm operates that takes in to consideration the sharia before deciding which books to make available to its members?

2. Does an aalim need to approve books which are grey-area?

I think answers to both the above are 'No'. This is what has resulted in the current crisis.

Upon inquiry I was told that when the ex-team of Bab ul Ilm had approached Dr. Alidina about a similar issue, he had clearly informed them of it being forbidden by asking them if they were willing to take the responsibility of those who will read such material.

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline