Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Doctor M. Shabbir is currently answering medical questions

Moderators: Syed Kazim, Muhammad

By Insaan
(bismillah)

Salamun alaykum doctor saheb

My question to you is concerning Diabetes. I understand that this disease is of 2 types, Type 1(insulin dependent) and Type 2 (non Insulin dependent). My cousin's son is suffering from Type 1 Diabetes and was recommended by the doctors to begin insulin shots. Pls can u advise us a good injection technique and any other thing that we need to be aware of.

Thanks
Wassalaam
By Mohamed
(salam)

People with this type of diabetes mellitus make little or no insulin in their body, and need regular insulin injections to manage the problem. Most such patients have to learn to inject themselves with insulin, which is a simple procedure. Following are the steps involved in preparing and giving an insulin shot:

-Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.

-Mix the insulin in the ampoule gently by rotating the bottle between your palms or by inverting it slowly from end to end.Take off the cap and clean the top with sterilised cotton/gauze swab soaked in spirit. Remove the cover from the needle and pull the plunger back till the marking corresponding to your insulin dose. The syringe should be filled with air and NOT the insulin at this time.

-Push the needle into the insulin bottle and release the air inside without taking in any of the insulin. Invert the insulin ampoule and insert the tip of the needle into the insulin. Now pull the plunger back till the marking of your dose to suck in the required amount of insulin. Take care to avoid sucking in any air bubbles. If you can see air bubbles inside the syringe, discard the dose and repeat the procedure. If any extra amount of insulin is sucked in, carefully discard the extra amount outside the bottle. Do NOT inject the insulin back into the bottle.

-Choose the site for the shot carefully. The sites can be discussed with the doctor beforehand. Clean the skin at the site of injection with an alcohol swab. Pinch up an area of the skin and insert the needle at a right angle fully into the skin. Release the plunger and push it all the way down to inject the insulin into your body. Release the pinched skin.Pull the needle out and pat the area with the swab. Do not rub the site of injection.

-Dispose off the needle after use.

Though the procedure seems fairly easy and becomes a routine after some practice, it should always be practised first in front of the doctor. Pls be very careful regarding how much dose of insulin you use. This should be strictly as advised by your doctor. Both under or over dosing can be dangerous.

You can have a look at this video and get a practical demonstration of what i hav just mentioned.

Hope this information was useful
By Muhammad Mahdi
Very good answer Dr

I would just like to mention that for a real life situation as this, its always better to consult a doctor so that you can receive first hand information and training.

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline