Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Doctor M. Shabbir is currently answering medical questions

Moderators: Syed Kazim, Muhammad

By Sibtain
It is said that during the day, one should drink water standing and at night, one should drink water sitting.
I wanted to know whether this is related to health..
By Muntazir
Sup Bro?
M nat a Doc but jus guessin.. Wel as i think, whenever drinking water, its biologically adviced to b sitted rather thn standin.. Its coz, while wer standing, were nat relaxed, knw wht m sayin? Its like whn wer standin, may be our heart beats too fast or may be its jus too high at some point so its better to be sitted, relaxed n drink water..
Donno if wht m sayin makes n e sense.. But again, jus guessin coz its like, i go to gym every mornin n work out, n whenever i work out, my heart beat rate is jus too fast and whn i wanna drink water, the Trainer says, Dude, u cant jus drink water whn ur heart beats too fast, relax n drink in peace or ur gonna hurt ur self.. So i get the point, chill, relax n drink the water.. N its too obvious tht if u wanna relax thn its only by sittin rite? But i have as wel noticed tht, whn ur heart beats too fast, n u drink water jus at the same time, u might jus chok dude..
Dono.. Wht u gota say?
Peace..
By Sadik 110
Salaam Alaikum.

It is indeed advised to sit while drinking water at night and rise or stand while drinking water during the day time. I also was taught in my 'Akhlaq' class at madressa that we're supposed to be seated while drinking water at night.

The stress on it suggests that it should have some effects, which i'm certainly not aware of. I will highly appreciate if some doctor or any other person who knows would volunteer and clearify the effects. :)

As far as i understand the physiology of drinking water, I dont think that 'day' or 'night' have got anything to do with it.

Sitting or standing does not change the heart rate in youths. However, the heart rate of older people may alter based on whether they sit or stand. As Br. Muntazir said in the post above, we need to relax while taking in water, otherwise we may choke. Similarly, drinking water immediately after workout may cause choking, too.

Ma'salam.
By Muhammad
Indeed this is a million dollar question...
Well as of now I do not have a scientific basis to it... But coincidentally I was talking to my colleague and the same issue was raised - to find medical benefits of Good morals taught by our Aimmah (AS).
So Inshallah with time (maybe lets say a month or two) we might just be able to give proven medical benefits for such etiquette.
By Muhammad
In His name, The Most High,
I haven't yet dived into finding the benefit of drinking water in the morning while standing and at night while sitting but this is worthwhile :

"You should drink water in 3 seperate breaths.This method of drinking is very beneficial for quenching the thirst. this method will change the temperature of the stomach Gradually. N.B>Sudden change of temperature inside the stomach is not desirable. When water is drunk in one sip, the gases in the stomach will ascend causing flatulence and stomachache.Drinking of water in three sips is doubly beneficial for those who live in hot regions; the method will help cool their internal system."

So now we know why it is mustahab to drink water in 3 sips :D
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline