Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A mere piece of clothing has been creating turmoil all around the world. I cant help but wonder, what threat does this simple way of dress pose to those who oppose it...and what does hijab mean to women?
By Tanveer
Hijab is Arabic for protection and cover. Some people put alot of effort into their Hijab, yet it serves no purpose. I am referring to the pointless Hijab that some girls wear.

The first pointless hijab is referred to as the headband hijab. It is a band of fabric approximately 4 inches wide. It covers the back of the head and allows all the hair to be exposed. It doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but atleast it comes in handy in case of an unexpected tennis match!

The second pointless hijab is the dupatta, also known as the Saran wrap hijab.It covers all the hair, but it is totally transparent. Again, it doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but it keeps the hair nice and fresh!

The third type of hijab is known as the Mickey Mouse Hijab. It is when a girl wears a black scarf and tucks it behind her ears so that her ears stick out!

We now move on to my favourites- the yo-yo hijabs:
The first yo-yo hijab is the scarf that keeps falling down and needs to be constantly pulled back up...up, down, up, down, just like a yo-yo.

The second yo-yo hijab is also referred to as the convertible hijab. This type of hijab is predominant at any type of social event i.e an Aqeeqah, Bismillah party, Ameen party, Wedding, etc.

This is when an Imam or Qari comes up to the microphone and starts to recite the Qur'an. At this point, all the convertible hijabs come up...until he says..."SADAQALLAHUL ADHEEM". I'm not sure, but apparently, in some cultures that translates to "OK SISTERS, YOU MAY TAKE OFF YOUR SCARVES."

I'm sure this may seem odd, but what's even funnier is when people do not anticipate the recitation of the Qur'an at a social event, and are forced to be creative and use accessories such as purses to cover one's hair!

I was surprised to see a woman hold her purse over her head as "HIJAB" ......as if the multitudes of men surrounding her are not a good enough reason to wear hijab, but some guy reciting du'a compels her to hold her purse over her head. Her friends were more creative...one friend used her dinner napkin!

I was also laughing when I saw the communal hijab-two or morw girls dropped under one dinner napkin during the recitation of the Qur'an. Her other friend was still more creative...she used her coffee saucer on the back of her head. I wasnt sure if it was hijab or Yamaka. I didn't know if she was a Muslim or a Jew. I felt like going up to her and saying: "SHALOM ALAIKUM, SISTER"

And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girl's nafs (ego) as well. IT should prevent girls from having to spend hours infront of the mirror doing her hair. But unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirrors for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say: "IS YOUR HIJAB NATURALLY CURLY?" I also felt compelled to go up to another girl and say "PARDON ME, BUT IS YOUR HIJAB NATURALLY THAT COLOR OR DID YOU DIE IT?" Well, the point is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling its pupose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self!!!

EXTRACTED FROM: AL-ASR MAGAZINE

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline