Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A mere piece of clothing has been creating turmoil all around the world. I cant help but wonder, what threat does this simple way of dress pose to those who oppose it...and what does hijab mean to women?
By Sajida
WOMEN'S ISSUES: INNER MODESTY

Dr. Aisha Hamdan

In Islamic discourse a great deal of emphasis is placed on the issue of hijab for women with much debate about the extent and nature of that covering. This is obviously an important issue for Muslim women, but an equally significant topic is that of Modesty. The Prophet, sallallaahu alayhe wa sallam passed by an Ansari man who was counseling his brother on modesty (He was advising him not to be too much shy or modest). The Prophet said: "Leave him (and do not advise him like this); for modesty is part of faith." (Bukhari and Muslim). The Prophet, sallallaahu alayhe wa sallam, also said, "Modesty results in good alone and nothing else." (Bukhari and Muslim).

Modesty is a term that is used often but one that is not clearly understood. One way to conceptualize it would be to think in terms of moving from an outer layer to the inner workings of a system. The covering, or hijab is the surface layer of modesty that everyone sees and that is very obvious to all. However, a woman could wear hijab and modesty may not go any deeper than that; it could be an artificial form of modesty or one done to satisfy another person.

Going deeper, the next layer may consist of what is commonly known as self-consciousness or shyness. At this level the woman not only wears hijab, but also acts in a way that is reserved and respectful. An important behavior in this category is lowering of the gaze. "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty." [24:3 1 Emphasis is often placed on men lowering their eyes, but this is also a requirement for women. Eyes should be turned away from everything that is forbidden. This includes not looking at any non-mahram man, at the awrah of another woman, or with bad intentions at another person. In one hadeeth qudsi, the Prophet, sallallaahu alayhe wa sallam, reported that Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala, says, "Looking at a non-mahram (men relatives to whom women cannot get tnarried) is one of the poisoned arrows of Satan. Whoever will stop it because of fearing me, I will bless him with such Emaan, the sweetness of which he will feel in his heart" (Tabarani).

Another characteristic at this level is humility in speech. As with everything in Islam, a woman's speech should be in moderation. It should be neither too loud nor too soft (so as to be alluring). Idle, senseless, excessive conversation should be avoided since it has no benefit and distracts from more important responsibilities. When a woman engages in conversation she should keep it decent and respectable and void of such harmful vices as backbiting, mockery, suspicion, and gossip. She should be humble and not boast about her abilities and achievements. "Successful indeed are the believers who are humble in their salah, and who shun vain conversation, and who are payers of zakat" [23:1-4]. Being placed between two pillars of Islam demonstrates the very significance of this pronouncement.

A woman should also attempt to avoid contact and conversation with non-mahram men. When this is necessary, such as for educational purposes or in the work environment, the discussion should be limited to pertinent matters and the woman should speak in a straight-forward and virtuous manner.

As with the hijab, these rules of etiquette may be observed for various reasons. The woman may act modestly because of cultural norms, her own innate disposition, or to impress or satisfy other people. This may have no connection whatsoever to the innermost level of modesty as any non-believer may follow the same code of conduct.. The center of this innermost level is the heart, alongside Emaan. A true believing woman does not engage-in these behaviors for other people; rather, she does it for the sake of Allah. She does not do so out of shyness from other people; she does it out of shyness from Allah. She is humble in the presence of Allah because she knows that everything she has, her wealth, her status, her abilities, are only from Him. This understanding highlights the interconnection between modesty and Emaan. The Prophet (pbuh) said, "Indeed, modesty and Emaan are companions. When one of them is lifted, the other leaves as well." (Baihaqi). And when this happens, the moral fiber of society is jeopardized.

Happy reading.... :)
By Muntazir
Assalamun Alaikum..
Great Sajida.. Hijab for a woman is very important in many ways.. Especially in these days..
If any girl or woman wears full Hijab in this modern world, i would respect that person to have such a great faith and respecting her self to the max.
Salaams All

I got the list below on my email Found it quite some food-for-thought.

This list has been compiled after research and is not intended to offend or insult anyone. After reading them it is possible to reach ones own conclusions.

1. Friends will reject me
The people I hang around with and really tight with none of them wear hijab/ jilbaab and they take the mickey out of those that do. Especially the hijabies who check out boys and do dirty dancing at college.uni parties. Names like fundies, molvies, hypocrites and they cover coz they are ugly. If I wear the hijab then I will lose all my friends and have the piss taken out of me as well.

2. Harm my career
I worked my arse of to get where I am now in my career. I got a big salary, status and I enjoy the respect I get from colleagues and community. I can’t risk all that for a piece of cloth, besides I would look weird in board meetings and work parties in the pub and nightclubs. InshAllah when I get married in my 30s and have kids in my mid 30s, I’ll cover as I’m supposed to then.

3. My family are westernised
No one in my family wears hijab, even my grandmother wears bright coloured stylish clothes. If I were to wear the hijab I’d feel strange coz we have family gatherings where all the women dress in sarees and other revealing clothes and at our weddings we have a DJ playing bhangra music and we all dance to bollywood tunes, even my grandmother does a few funky moves on the dance floor.

4. Non-Muslims will stare
I’ve noticed since 7/7 that non-Muslims regard anyone who looks like a Muslim as a potential terrorist and by wearing the hijab I would attract attention. By wearing western clothes I get away with non-Muslims thinking I’m a Hindu, Sikh or moderate non-practicing Muslim. I’ve even had white guys trying to chat me up coz they think I’m up for it based on the tight western clothing that I wear.

5. I’m still young
I’m only 27 I’ve got my whole life ahead of me. I’m still enjoying life, u know what I mean, flirting with guys,clubbing,hanging out with mates in shopping centres. When I get married and have kids I’ll wear it then

6. I wont get attention from guys
I love the attention I get from guys and the way they look at me u know what I mean. I’m checking out 3 guys at the moment. Ones my age, ones older and one is older and married. I guess we all need a toy boy as well as a father figure /sugar daddy. I’ll choose one of them, although I’ve got a few my age from uni as back up.
After I’ve lived my life to the max and played the field and settled down then I might consider wearing it, even cover my face coz I don’t wanna meet any of my ex’s now do I ? Shoot 2 birds with 1 stone, appear pious and avoid hassle with former boyfriends , great idea, hijab. Jilbab and niqab.

7. I dress modestly
I wear loose modest clothes which cover and hide my curves, I know my hair is exposed but at least I’m more or less covered, better than a lot of girls/women who dress like tarts.

8. People will think I’m a fundamentalist
There is so much in the media nowadays about Muslims getting radicalised and rejecting western values and becoming fundamentalists. I just don’t want people to think that I am one also. Although I know that the west and its values are decadent and filthy, I don’t think it’s wise to express this. I pray and fast etc, I don’t need to wear Islamic clothing to be a good Muslim coz Islam is in my heart.

9. I worked hard to get this figure
After going to the gym and Pilates fro 6 months I’ve finally achieved the hourglass figure which men find attractive. I enjoy the attention I get and feel attractive. By wearing the hijab/jilbaab I would just be an ordinary woman in the eyes of men and only religious types with big beards would be interested in me.

10. When in Rome do as the Romans
We live in the UK and not in a Muslim country so why follow Islam rigidly? Also compared to non-Muslim women who practically walk around naked I dress and behave quite respectably.
Whenever I visit back home I wear different clothes coz I don’t want people to think bad of me and my family. One day in my 60’s after I have lived my life I will go to hajj and then become the perfect Muslimah, not now coz I believe “when in Rome do as the Romans”.

If I missed any excuses out then add them here or email them to me inshAllah.

http://www.Islamic-education.blogspot.com
hasin wrote:Salaams All

I got the list below on my email Found it quite some food-for-thought.

This list has been compiled after research and is not intended to offend or insult anyone. After reading them it is possible to reach ones own conclusions.

1. Friends will reject me
The people I hang around with and really tight with none of them wear hijab/ jilbaab and they take the mickey out of those that do. Especially the hijabies who check out boys and do dirty dancing at college.uni parties. Names like fundies, molvies, hypocrites and they cover coz they are ugly. If I wear the hijab then I will lose all my friends and have the piss taken out of me as well.

2. Harm my career
I worked my arse of to get where I am now in my career. I got a big salary, status and I enjoy the respect I get from colleagues and community. I can’t risk all that for a piece of cloth, besides I would look weird in board meetings and work parties in the pub and nightclubs. InshAllah when I get married in my 30s and have kids in my mid 30s, I’ll cover as I’m supposed to then.

3. My family are westernised
No one in my family wears hijab, even my grandmother wears bright coloured stylish clothes. If I were to wear the hijab I’d feel strange coz we have family gatherings where all the women dress in sarees and other revealing clothes and at our weddings we have a DJ playing bhangra music and we all dance to bollywood tunes, even my grandmother does a few funky moves on the dance floor.

4. Non-Muslims will stare
I’ve noticed since 7/7 that non-Muslims regard anyone who looks like a Muslim as a potential terrorist and by wearing the hijab I would attract attention. By wearing western clothes I get away with non-Muslims thinking I’m a Hindu, Sikh or moderate non-practicing Muslim. I’ve even had white guys trying to chat me up coz they think I’m up for it based on the tight western clothing that I wear.

5. I’m still young
I’m only 27 I’ve got my whole life ahead of me. I’m still enjoying life, u know what I mean, flirting with guys,clubbing,hanging out with mates in shopping centres. When I get married and have kids I’ll wear it then

6. I wont get attention from guys
I love the attention I get from guys and the way they look at me u know what I mean. I’m checking out 3 guys at the moment. Ones my age, ones older and one is older and married. I guess we all need a toy boy as well as a father figure /sugar daddy. I’ll choose one of them, although I’ve got a few my age from uni as back up.
After I’ve lived my life to the max and played the field and settled down then I might consider wearing it, even cover my face coz I don’t wanna meet any of my ex’s now do I ? Shoot 2 birds with 1 stone, appear pious and avoid hassle with former boyfriends , great idea, hijab. Jilbab and niqab.

7. I dress modestly
I wear loose modest clothes which cover and hide my curves, I know my hair is exposed but at least I’m more or less covered, better than a lot of girls/women who dress like tarts.

8. People will think I’m a fundamentalist
There is so much in the media nowadays about Muslims getting radicalised and rejecting western values and becoming fundamentalists. I just don’t want people to think that I am one also. Although I know that the west and its values are decadent and filthy, I don’t think it’s wise to express this. I pray and fast etc, I don’t need to wear Islamic clothing to be a good Muslim coz Islam is in my heart.

9. I worked hard to get this figure
After going to the gym and Pilates fro 6 months I’ve finally achieved the hourglass figure which men find attractive. I enjoy the attention I get and feel attractive. By wearing the hijab/jilbaab I would just be an ordinary woman in the eyes of men and only religious types with big beards would be interested in me.

10. When in Rome do as the Romans
We live in the UK and not in a Muslim country so why follow Islam rigidly? Also compared to non-Muslim women who practically walk around naked I dress and behave quite respectably.
Whenever I visit back home I wear different clothes coz I don’t want people to think bad of me and my family. One day in my 60’s after I have lived my life I will go to hajj and then become the perfect Muslimah, not now coz I believe “when in Rome do as the Romans”.

If I missed any excuses out then add them here or email them to me inshAllah.

http://www.Islamic-education.blogspot.com
can i just say that from my opinion, i think all the excuse above are a whole load of rubbish n the person who actually uses that is a down rite idiot eho doesnt know wat shes talking abt.
i wear a headscarf n live in the uk n none of the things above r actually true.
the thing abt friends not acceptinng u is rubbish, i have tons of friends n none of them have ever had a problem with my headscarf, n not only that they r quite supportive of some other friend of mine who just started to wear a head scarf. wat we all wear doesnt affect our friendship n it shudnt, if it did that its kinda obvious that they like u for wat u wear n not for who u r.
the work n career thing i dont know abt coz i m still at college but wen i did work for like 2 days in the summer (i quit my summer job 2 days after starting, too lazy to work) i never had any problems with ppl at work.
the family being westernised thing- all i gotta say abt it is that my mate from college started wearing a headscarf like a week ago n not even her mum wears it. we were in the common room a few days ago n she was going on abt how at the iftaar at her place the day before she was the only person from her whole extended family wear a headscarf. if she can do it n she aint even that religious, i think anyone can. she was proper westernised and everything b4. if she cud so can anyone else.
the non muslims will stare - SO WAT??? dont u stare at ppl? coz i know i do, especially wen i see punks n goths around central london with the spiked up n dyed hair. n by the way no ones got time to stare at u, if u think they r staring at u, u r over the top self obsessed.
i havent anything to say for the 5th point except i wear a head scarf n still enjoy life, hanging out at shopping centres n stuff.
the flirting with guys thng, guys dont care if u r wearing a headscarf, i know of girls who have boyfriends n they wear a headscarf , so no wearing a head scarf desnt affect ur social life. i wear a headscarf n i know for a fact that heads turn wen i m out n about.
no noe thinks u r a fundamentalist if u wear a headscarf, wearing a headscarf says i m sorta mre religous than others. wearing a chaddar says i m proper religious, i dont wear a chaddar coz personally i dont feel comfortable wearing it, i never have.
if u think wearing hijab is only gonna get u attention from beardy guys that aint true. guys dont really care wat a girls wearing.

p.s. i apologise in advance if any thing i said offended anyone, i know some of the stuff i said is sorta harsh but thats how i feel abt it.
By abuali
I believe the reasons that I had copy pasted from http://www.Islamic-education.blogspot.com and which the author claimed are from a research are for reasons that the author got for not wearing hijab (including the headscarf)

I dont really claim to know much about the reasons why hijab is not worn locally in my Home town let alone UK.

However, i feel the aim of the author is to show how pathetic and wrong the reasons are in the first place as zalidina has pointed out.For example Why would someone who wants to flirt support hijab in the first place? The thinking is already wrong and the result cannot be right.

My two cents..
By Muntazir
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Emma is a lawyer, and Aisha is too
Colleagues going into court at circa half past two
Its 1 o'clock right now, they grab a bite before the trial
They chat about this and that, conversing with a smile

Aisha's in full hijab with a loose all over suit
Emma's in her business wear with accessories to boot
Emma's really quite bemused at Aisha's godly ways
She looks Aisha in the eyes and very firmly says:

"You're a smart girl Aisha, why do you wear that across your hair?
Subjugated by 'man'-kind, an object of despair
Take it off my sister, let your banner be unfurled
Don't blindly follow all around, DECLARE YOUR FREEDOM TO THE WORLD!"

Aisha is amazed, but not the least bit shy
She bravely puts her milk shake down and gives Emma the reply
"My dear sister Emma, why do you dress the way you do?
The skirt you're wearing round your waist, is it really you?"

"Now that we've sat down, I see you tug it across your thighs
Do you feel ashamed, aware of prying eyes?
I see the way you're sitting, both legs joined at the knees
Who forces you to sit like that? Do you feel at ease?"

"I'll tell you who obliges you to dress the way you do
Gucci, Klein and St. Laurent all have designs on you!
In the main, it's men my friend who dictate the whims of fashion
Generating all the garb to incite the basest passion"

"'Sex Sells' - there is no doubt, but who buys with such great haste
The answer is the likes of you because they want to be embraced
They want to be accepted on a level playing field
Sure, with brain and intellect, but with body parts revealed"

"Why do you douse yourself with creams, to make your skin so milky?
Why do rip off all your hair to keep your body silky?
A simple shower's all you need to stay respectable and clean
The time and money that you spend is really quite obscene"

"Why do you wake up at dawn to apply a firm foundation,
Topped with make up and the like in one chaotic combination?
And if you should have to leave the house devoid of this routine
Why do you feel so insecure that you should not be seen?"

"Be free my sister Emma, escape from your deep mire
Don hijab today my friend, and all Islam's attire
Avoid all those sickly stares, or whistles from afar
Walk down the street with dignity, take pride in who you are"

"Strength lies in anonymity, be a shadow in the crowd
Until you speak and interact when your voice will carry loud
You're a smart girl Emma, wear this across your hair
Don't be subjugated by "man"-kind, an object of despair"

"To use your very words my friend, Let your banner be unfurled
Don't blindly follow all around - DECLARE YOUR FREEDOM TO THE WORLD!
By *SweetY*
Well, i have many muslim friends who don;t wear hijab and I have heard their reasons. Many say that htey feel they are not ready for the responsiblity. Some also feel as they have to go with the fashion as it is adopted in the westernized world and have beeen brought up in an environment where fashion means a lot and also becasue they feel they get critisezed for commiting any sin if they are in hijab. =S
By Muntazir
Bismillahir Rahmaanir Rahim

As Salaamu 'aleykum

Surah 2 (Al Baqarah) Verse 212

Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe. But those who obey Alla’s orders and keep away from what He has forbidden, will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. And Allah gives (of His Bounty, Blessings, Favours, Honours, etc. on the Day of Resurrection) to whom He wills without limit.

Surah 24 (An Nur) Verse 31

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.

Surah 33 (Al – Ahzab) Verse 59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft¬Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Surah 6 (Al – An’am) Verse 25

And of them there are some who listen to you; but We have set VEILs on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they see every one of the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) they will not believe therein; to the point that when they come to you to argue with you, the disbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the men of old."

Surah 40 (Ghafir) Verse 56

Verily, those who dispute about the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, without any authority having come to them, there is nothing else in their breasts except pride [to accept you (Muhammad SAW) as a Messenger of Allah and to obey you]. They will never have it (i.e. Prophethood which Allah has bestowed upon you). So seek refuge in Allah (O Muhammad SAW from the arrogants). Verily, it is He Who is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.

But... Still...

Surah 4 (An- Nisa) Verse 17

Allah accepts only the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they to whom Allah will forgive and Allah is Ever All¬Knower, All¬Wise.

As Salaamu 'aleykum warahmatullahi wabarakatu
By Muhammad Mahdi
becasue they feel they get critisezed for commiting any sin if they are in hijab.
that should act as a shield to protect one from committing sins
By Mazhar
Salams
Check out the link interesting way of passin along the message
By Mazhar
Salams
towards the end of the clip which the link above leads to.. the guy says that men are supposed to cover up from the naval to the knee ....had heard this from my sunni maalim as well but dint see it bein practiced in our community wen we go for swimmin n stuff does this rulin apply to us shias as well??
By Zaheer
mazhar: wen we go for swimmin n stuff does this rulin apply to us shias as well??

I DONT THINK SO.....

WE CAN ASK AYATOLLAH SYED A.H.SEESTANI FOR THIS RULING !!!
By MuNtAzIr_uk
Salams all!
Long time inactive member now making a comeback here :-)

Hijab is something that is (or at least, should be) very close to every Muslim's heart. I feel that the topic has been discussed well enough, so i wont add much. I am however, attaching 2 rather interesting articles i have read, one is by an American who reverted to Islam (i dont like the term 'convert' :) ) and the other (which is a link) is by a former nun who wrote her article after an MP in the UK (Jack Straw) made some comments abt the hijab. Both are fairly long articles, but quite interesting.

May the Almighty guide us in our ways!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I Wear the Muslim Headscarf

By Aaminah Hernandez

I have never written anything personal on the subject of hijab
because it seems like an overdone issue. Sometimes I think so much focus is put
on this one little aspect of being a Muslim woman, to the detriment of more
important Islamic knowledge and practice. Because the headscarf is such a
visual symbol of the Muslim woman, many non-Muslims are the ones who make a
large issue of it, spout ill-informed opinions, or ask questions in an
attempt to understand. This has been answered to by so many Muslim women,
and even Muslim men, that I did not feel the need to throw my opinion or
feelings out into the fray. Lately I find I am being asked many questions,
even by other Muslim women who choose not to wear hijab, and by non-Muslims
who know other Muslim women who choose not to wear hijab. So, the following
is my answer to the many questions that have been coming up. My intent is
only to give my own opinion and experience. I do not mean to be judgmental
of those women who struggle with the issue of covering or to suggest that
only one form of covering is acceptable. I can only tell you what I think
and feel about the headscarf. If you want to know why someone else does not
cover, or covers less or more fully than I, you would have to ask that
person to share their experience with you.

The most common question I have been asked in the past seven years
since I became Muslim is "Why do you wear that thing?"

"That thing" is a headscarf. I have worn many different styles from
bandana coverage all the way to a full khimar, which is a very loose and
long head-covering, with a face veil. I enjoy playing with my head cover to
match the style of my clothing and to find more comfortable styles. Right
now my favorite style is very loose and draping. I tend to dress more
multi-cultural than most American women. In fact, many immigrants who have
taken to the American dress code even look at me in surprise that I like to
wear many traditional clothing styles. My headscarves reflect my overall
style.

The reason I began to wear hijab was simply that I believed (and
still believe) it is mandated in Islam. When I first became Muslim I lived
in a town that was full of Muslims, most of whom dressed in the traditional
ways. Putting on a headscarf (and at that time even a veil) was not a
hardship. It was the norm where I was, and I understood it to be required.
There are verses in the Qur'an and in the collected words of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), as well as collected norms and behaviors of the
wives of the Prophet and his Companions that show clearly that covering of
the entire body and head was enjoined upon and practiced by the early
Muslim women.

Like most women, I have at times struggled with the issue of
covering, but never because I did not believe it was required. There were
points in my life where I did not wear it either because of jobs that did
not allow it (it is a legally guaranteed right here in the U.S. and your
employer must allow it) or because I was tired of being so "different" all
the time. But I always felt guilty not wearing it and knew that I must go
back to it.

Besides the simple answer that I am Muslim and believe that the
headscarf and covering are required in Islam, many people want to know more
detail about why I actually wear it and what the purpose or point of the
covering is, particularly if they know other Muslim women who do not wear
it. I cannot speak to why so many Muslim women do not wear it and what
their state of mind or opinion on the matter is. I refuse to judge them for
being in the stage they are in and I do not know what their personal
circumstances may be. I can only answer to what I believe the purpose and
benefits of my headscarf achieve.

1. Modesty. When dressed in a covering way, I am not showing my
physical attributes (or perhaps lack of) to anyone. People are forced to
judge me by my actions and speech, by how well I do my job or how I
interact with others, rather than by whether or not I am "good looking" and
interest them.

2. To that same end, my beauty is then saved or my husband's full
enjoyment and he knows he does not share me with anyone. I am not out
getting a lot of attention from others that may make him feel insecure or
that is disrespectful to me.

3. I am noticeably different, a Muslim. Most people respect that.
They can clearly see that I am not the kind of woman that you whistle or
cat-call at, nor am I going to agree to meet you in a bar or club, nor can
you proposition me on the street or in the office. There is a level of
respect that men give me whereby they do not treat me in the same way they
might treat other women they meet and believe they can "get with". In fact,
in my case, I find that many men (yes, non-Muslims) are more gentlemanly
with me in general. I have more doors held open for me, paths cleared for
me, more assistance when needed, and an overall respect given to me.

4. Wearing the head covering works to remind me of my duties. I am
more likely to be a better person when I am covered because the headscarf
is a potent reminder to me of what type of behavior and attitude is
expected of me. I am less likely to lose my temper, more likely to be kind
and forgiving, in difficult situations.

In my experience, the hijab or headscarf is beneficial to me. Not
only do I have the security that I am following a mandate set by God and
thereby pleasing God, but I also experience great comforts in this life
because of my coverage. Contrary to what many think, I am not forced to
wear it (I chose it for myself while still single, and as a convert I am
not being forced by family to wear it), it is not an obstacle or a
discomfort to me, and it does not in any way impair my opportunities or