Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A mere piece of clothing has been creating turmoil all around the world. I cant help but wonder, what threat does this simple way of dress pose to those who oppose it...and what does hijab mean to women?
By Reyhana
Hijaab is NOT a Piece of Cloth on Your Head : It's a Way of Life

Just because some of the sisters have their head covered, they think that the requirement of Hijaab is fulfilled. They don't realize that wearing a Hijaab requires much more than just covering your head. Actually, if you think about it, Hijaab is the way you talk…..the way you walk….the very way you carry yourself. In fact, Hijaab is an attitude in itself. Its a whole way of life.
Allaah says:
'And say to the believing women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty (zeenah) except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you believers, in order that you are successful.' (Surat-un-Nur: 31).

Here are some of the more common issues in light of this verse about the Hijaab.

Well, my head is covered. What more do you want?
If you look carefully at the ayah, it clearly states that the head covers (khumur) should be drawn over the neck slits (juyoob). Khumur is the plural of the Arabic word 'khimar' which means a headcover. Juyoob is the plural of the Arabic word 'jaiyb', which refers to the neck slit (of the dress).
Yet, some sisters just cover their head with something, and think they are fulfilling the rights of Hijaab, although part of their hair or body is showing, or their whole neck and chest area are exposed. Actually, that was the way of the women of Jahilliyah.
Al-Qurtubi said: 'Women in those days used to cover their heads with the khimar, throwing its ends upon their backs. This left the neck and the upper part of the chest bare, along with the ears. Then Allah commanded them to cover those parts with the khimar.'
Nowadays the fashion is to tie the ends of the scaff behind the neck,hence leading to exposion of the chest and bosom area[which should by all means be covered from the eyes of Na mahram],and it pains one to see that those who wear MAKNAS or big scarfs and leave them infront so as to cover the above parts are ridiculed and made fun off.
So secure the scarf well around your face, covering your neck/chest area\bosom area.Remember that you should try to please Almighty Allah and not your friends and society.If today they are making fun of you then dont waver because tomorrow[on the day of judgement] they will REGRET VERY BADLY BUT IT WILL BE TOO LATE!

Sorry.…tight jeans and short shirt just don't cut it
You can't wear tight jeans and a short shirt with a piece of cloth on your head and think this is Hijaab. Nor can you wear anything else that is tight, describing the shape of the body in any way, even if it is long. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaiyhi wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) said:
'In later (generations) of my ummah there will be women who will be dressed but naked. On top of their heads (what looks) like camel humps. They will not enter into paradise or (even) get a smell of it.'
ALAS nowadays we wear body fitting coats and chaadors and call them HIJAAB.Whom are we trying to decieve???

If it is see-through, its NOT Hijaab
You CANNOT use chiffon or other see through material to cover your hair and body. Everything should be covered and the color of the skin underneath should not be visible.
The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaiyhi wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) once received a thick garment as a gift. He gave it to Osamah b. Zayd, who in turn gave it to his wife. When asked by the Prophet why he did not wear it, Osamah indicated that he gave it to his wife. The Prophet then said to Osamah 'ask her to use a 'gholalah' under it (the garment) for I fear that it (the garment) may describe the size of her bones.'
(The word gholalah in Arabic means a thick fabric worn under the dress to prevent it from describing the shape of the body).

The Hijaab shouldn't attract attention
The dress should not be such that it attracts men's attention to the woman's beauty. Allaah clearly states 'not to display their beauty (zeenah).' Yet, Subhaan Allaah, some Hijaabi sisters are dressed in such a way that they attract more attention to themselves than they would if they didn't wear Hijaab!! How could such zeenah be concealed if the dress is designed in a way that it attracts men's eyes to the woman? It beats the purpose of Hijaab.
Nowadays simple hijaab are meant for the days of mourning while for khushalis we wear decorated hijaabs,we forget that by doing so we are displeasing the same Imam or Bibi whose khushali we are celebrating and we are also Displeasing our Imam-e-zamana..
It makes my heart cry tears of blood when I see that those ladies who themselves arent wearing proper HIJAAB discourage those who wear proper Hijaab [simple,loose,unattractive,not see through e.t.c e.t.c].I would like to request these kind of women to REPENT before its too LATE!
Allaah tells us: 'And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance…' [al-Ahzaab:32]

What about make-up and perfume???
Wearing make up is also part of the zeenah that Allaah orders us NOT to display. So if your head and body are appropriately covered yet you are wearing bright r lipsticks or dark eyeliner or any make up which shows ….uh sorry, that's not Hijaab. And keep those nice fragrances for the home, between you and your husband. That's part of Hijaab too, even if you are going to the Masjid. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaiyhi wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) said: 'Any woman who puts on perfume and passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, is an adulteress.'

Tinkling Jewelry and Jingling bracelets
'Loud' and tinkling anything, be it jewelry, bracelets, clip-clopping shoes, little bells on clothes, you name it, if it jingles or makes noise, it is against the principles of Hijaab, because it attracts attention to the one wearing it. That is what is meant when Allaah orders us in the above verse…'not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments.'

No laughing, joking, or hanging out with non-Mahrams
Some sisters assume that since they are properly covered, its okay for them to sit around and talk, laugh, joke, etc. with the men, but that's not right, even if he is 'the Shaikh'. Allaah says:'. . . then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire, but speak in an honorable manner.' [al-Ahzaab:32]
So talk to them when there is a specific need, and in a manner that is not necessarily rude, yet it is polite but firm.

Staring at the brothers or 'checking them out' is NOT Hijaab
Allaah orders us to 'lower your gaze' in the above verse. Why? Because a single 'look' can say more than a thousand words. So, even if you are properly covered, keep those eyes down, conduct yourself with 'Hayaa', and avoid 'fitnah'.

'Chatting' on the internet/phone is not part of Hijaab, either
There is no such thing as 'we're just friends'. Talking to non-Mahrams is wrong even if it is through the internet or telephone. There are too many stories of illegal relationships, fornications, broken homes, extra-marital affairs and runaway brides to even mention. That is why in Islam anything that leads to haraam is also haraam. Allaah says:
'Do not (even) come close to fornication, for it is an indecency, and its way is evil.' (Surah Israa:32)

Be careful, even in the way you walk
Remember, you are not a runway model displaying the latest fashion. Walk with modesty and hayaa and you will be respected. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaiyhi wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) said:
'There are two types of the people of Hell that I have not seen yet….women who are clothed yet naked, walking with an enticing gait…..'

Don't shake hands with non-Mahrams. Its part of Hijaab
It is not permissible to shake hands with a non-Mahram, because the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said: 'For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than to touch a woman who is not permissible for him.'
And no, it is not rude to refuse to shake hands with non-Muslims. Simply politely explain that its part of your religion and they are very understanding.

Stay away from the men's areas
I see many sisters entering the Masjid from the men's entrance, or standing idle in the hallways or where there is a chance of unnecessary mixing with the brothers. What for?
Don't we have a separate entrance for ourselves? Why do you think Allaah ordained the Hijaab in the first place? To avoid fitnah, by reducing temptation and separating the genders.
'The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi Wa Aalihi wa Sallam) said to the women on his way out of the mosque when he saw men and women mixing together on their way home: 'Give way ( i.e., walk to the sides) as it is not appropriate for you to walk in the middle the road.' Thereafter, women would walk so close to the wall that their dresses would get caught on it.'

Hijaab is also to conceal your sister
Although some sisters wear the Hijaab themselves, they forget that they cannot talk about another sister and her beauty in front of their own husbands, brothers, etc. Remember, part of your Hijaab is to cover your sisters 'awrah' as well.
The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) said: 'No woman should mix with a woman and describe her to her husband so that it is as if he can see her.'
Lastly but not the least I would like to remind all my fellow women to remember the Hadith which says that the one who does an open sin deserves more punishment then the one who does a hidden sin and you know why is that??? because the one who does sin in secret is harming his own self while the one who does it openly is encouraging others to do the same,and by all means the INAPPROPRIATE HIJAAB WEARER is doing an OPEN SIN as by her action she is encouraging others to follow her example!So she will bear the burden of her own sin and will also share in the burden of those who are imitating her!

HATS OFF to all those sisters who are wearing the hijaab as it needs to be worn despite facing all the ridiculous behaviour from the society and the world at large.Apart from getting uncountable rewards you are also pleasing The Prophet and Masoomens and u are even sharing in the rewards of those who are trying to improve their hijaab by following in your footsteps.

May Allah guide us and bless us with the TRUE understanding of His Deen. Ameen.
By Reyhana
The author writes:
It makes my heart cry tears of blood when I see that those ladies who themselves arent wearing proper HIJAAB discourage those who wear proper Hijaab [simple,loose,unattractive,not see through e.t.c e.t.c].
VERY TRUE indeed!We see this happening everywhere in our communities.I feel so sad and angry when I see ladies who come to cry for the veils of Bibi Zaynab a.s and then oppose the same veils and discourage the ones who try do proper Hijaab? Why dont they stop and ponder for a minute that they are actually criticising Bibi Fatema's and Bibi Zaynab's veils,whose Hijaab was the PERFECT HIJAAB.Sometimes I feel so sorry for these kind of ladies when I think as to how they will face IMAM-E- ZAMANA and how will they be able to ask for shafaat of BIBI FATEMA while their whole life were spent in criticising the HIJAAB OF BIBI FATEMA a.s.
Nowadays if u dont wear decorative and fashionable HIJAAB then u are seen as someone pre historic and ridiculed.
If one wears simple hijaab as per shariat then one is looked down upon to the extent that one is seen as being of low standard.May I ask what has being of high standard or wealthy anything to do with Hijaab.Is it that the more wealthy you are the more expensive and fashionable your Hijaab should be???Is this what Islam teaches us???
If this criticism is done by followers of other religions then at least it wouldnt have been soo painful but the HEART RENDING part is that this is done by members of our own communities!!!Instead of encouraging proper Hijab we r discouraging it !
Many times we get to hear statements like this ''O so and so has become a MULLA or has become a MULIYANI,on asking how is that so?They reply sarcastically O because he\she doesnt talk or shake hands with na mehram or because she covers herself fully.''Practising Muslims are frowned upon and made fun off.May I ask is Islam meant for mullas and muliyaanis only???If so then why are we calling ourselves MUSLIMS??
There is a Hadith which tells us to compete with each other in acquiring good qualities and habits,but nowadays we are doing the opposite i.e we are competing with each other in acquiring wealth,status,clothes,cars,fashionable hijabs e.t.c

I remember reading that one of the sign that Aakhir Zamana has approached is that those who will be practising Islamic way of life will be looked down upon and those who will do contrary to what Islam says will be given high positions and respected ! Isnt this happening everywhere???
My request to all, esp to my fellow sisters is that if you DONT DO HIJAAB as it needs to be done then at least dont ridicule those who are trying to do it as it SHOULD BE DONE,instead you should try to respect and encourage them.
MY Brothers and Sisters,Dont u think its high time now to help in stopping this SERIOUS MALADY
from spreading roots in our community? If we find this malady present in our near and dear ones or our friends,then we should try our level best to make them see reason,if everyone does this then I think it will make a big difference.
''O you who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is MEN and stones...''[HOLY QURAN 66:6]

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline