Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A mere piece of clothing has been creating turmoil all around the world. I cant help but wonder, what threat does this simple way of dress pose to those who oppose it...and what does hijab mean to women?
By SyedBaqir
HILARIOUS HIJABS!!!!
The author of this article "Observations on Hijab" is unknown.
It is however, thought to be written by a brother.
Funny as it is, there are a number of lessons to be learnt...

It has been my personal observation that some Muslim girls and women do not realise the significance of hijab. Hijab is Arabic for protection and cover. Some people put a lot of effort into their hijab, yet it serves no purpose. I am referring to the pointless hijab that some girls wear.

The first pointless hijab is referred to as the headband hijab. It is a band of fabric approximately 4 inches wide. It covers the back of the head and allows all the hair to be exposed. It doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but at least it comes in handy in case of an unexpected tennis match!

The second pointless hijab is the dupatta, also known as the Saran wrap hijab. It covers all the hair, but it is totally transparent. Again it doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but it keeps the hair nice and fresh!

The third type of hijab is known as the Micky Mouse Hijab. It is when a girl wears a black scarf and tucks it behind her ear, so that her ears stick out!

We now move on to my favourites - the yo-yo hijabs:
The first yo-yo hijab is the scarf that keeps falling down and needs to be constantly pulled back up.... up, down, up, down, just like a yo-yo!

The second yo-yo hijab is also referred to as the convertibe hijab. This type of hijab is predominant at any type of social event, i.e. an Aqeeqah, Bismillah party, Ameen party, wedding, etc. This is when an Imam or Qari comes up to the microphone and starts to recite Qur'an. At this point, all the convertible hijabs come up... until he says "SadaqAllahu Atheem." I'm not sure, but apparently in some cultures that translates to "OK sisters, you may take off your scarves."

I'm sure this may seem odd, but what's even funnier is when people do not anticipate the recitation of Qur'an at a social event, and are forced to be creative and use accessories such as a purse to cover one's hair. I was surprized to see a woman hold her purse over her head as "hijab"... as if the multitudes of men surrounding her are not a good enough reason to wear hijab, but some guy reciting du'a compels her to hold a purse over her head. Her friends were more creative... one friend used her dinner napkin. I was also laughing when i saw the communal hijab- two or more girls dropped under one dinner napkin during the recitation of Qur'an. Her other friend was still more creative. She used her coffee saucer on the back of her head. I wasn't sure of it was hijab or Yamaka. I didn't know if she was a Muslim or a Jew. I felt like going up to her and saying "Shalom alaikum, sister."

And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girls' nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair. But, unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirror for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say "Is your hijab naturally curly?" I also felt compelled to go up to another girl and say "Pardon me, but is your hijab naturally that colour, or did you dye it"?

Well the point is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling its purpose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self.

Any way, that's it. If any one disagrees with me or is offended, then you are disagreeing with the teachings of Allah Subhaanuhu wa Ta'ala.
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
SyedBaqir wrote:And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girls' nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair.
I'll disagree with you (or whoever wrote the article) there. Allah (swt) clearly states the purpose of Hijab in the Quran.
O Prophet! Tell your wives, and your daughters, and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks around them so that they may be recognized and not harassed (33:59)
The ego is not an issue here. I'm sure everyone knows that girls show off in women-only gatherings also. If hijab had anything to do with egos, hijab in front of members of the same gender would have been mandated.

As for wasted time, no-one's really forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to...If the girl has better things to do, she will...if she doesn't, let her do her hair.
By abuali
I believe the above transcript is from an internet video by a muslim brother who started a website of home videos in which he talked about things muslims did wrong in a funny way so as to be heard.

I think someone had posted the link of the site sometime ago. Cant seem to recall it

(I may be wrong, perhaps its similar to his video)

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline