Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A mere piece of clothing has been creating turmoil all around the world. I cant help but wonder, what threat does this simple way of dress pose to those who oppose it...and what does hijab mean to women?
"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)
Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks." A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

The question of hijab for Muslim women has been a controversy for centuries and will probably continue for many more. Some learned people do not consider the subject open to discussion and consider that covering the face is required, while a majority are of the opinion that it is not required. A middle line position is taken by some who claim that the instructions are vague and open to individual discretion depending on the situation. The wives of the Prophet (S) were required to cover their faces so that men would not think of them in sexual terms since they were the "Mothers of the Believers," but this requirement was not extended to other women.

The word "hijab" comes from the Arabic word "hajaba" meaning to hide from view or conceal. In the present time, the context of hijab is the modest covering of a Muslim woman. The question now is what is the extent of the covering? The Qur'an says:

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands..." (Qur'an 24:30-31)
These verses from the Qur'an contain two main injunctions:

A woman should not show her beauty or adornments except what appears by uncontrolled factors such as the wind blowing her clothes, and
the head covers should be drawn so as to cover the hair, the neck and the bosom.
Islam has no fixed standard as to the style of dress or type of clothing that Muslims must wear. However, some requirements must be met. The first of these requirements is the parts of the body which must be covered. Islam has two sources for guidance and rulings: first, the Qur'an, the revealed word of Allah and secondly, the Hadith or the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad (S) who was chosen by Allah to be the role model for mankind. The following is a Tradition of the Prophet:

"Ayesha (R) reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr (R) came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

The second requirement is looseness. The clothing must be loose enough so as not to describe the shape of the woman's body. One desirable way to hide the shape of the body is to wear a cloak over other clothes. However, if the clothing is loose enough, an outer garment is not necessary. Thickness is the third requirement. The clothing must be thick enough so as not to show the color of the skin it covers or the shape of the body. The Prophet Muhammad (S) stated that in later generations of his ummah there would be "women who would be dressed but naked and on top of their heads (what looks like) camel humps. Curse them for they are truly cursed." (Muslim) Another requirement is an over-all dignified appearance. The clothing should not attract men's attention to the woman. It should not be shiny and flashy so that everyone notices the dress and the woman. In addition there are other requirements:

Women must not dress so as to appear as men.
"Ibn Abbas narrated: 'The Prophet (S) cursed the men who appear like women and the women who appear like men.'" (Bukhari)
Women should not dress in a way similar to the unbelievers.
The clothing should be modest, not excessively fancy and also not excessively ragged to gain others admiration or sympathy.
Often forgotten is the fact that modern Western dress is a new invention. Looking at the clothing of women as recently as seventy years ago, we see clothing similar to hijab. These active and hard-working women of the West were not inhibited by their clothing which consisted of long, full dresses and various types of head covering. Muslim women who wear hijab do not find it impractical or interfering with their activities in all levels and walks of life. Hijab is not merely a covering dress but more importantly, it is behavior, manners, speech and appearance in public. Dress is only one facet of the total being. The basic requirement of the Muslim woman's dress apply to the Muslim man's clothing with the difference being mainly in degree. Modesty requires that the area between the navel and the knee be covered in front of all people except the wife. The clothing of men should not be like the dress of women, nor should it be tight or provocative. A Muslim should dress to show his identity as a Muslim. Men are not allowed to wear gold or silk. However, both are allowed for women.

For both men and women, clothing requirements are not meant to be a restriction but rather a way in which society will function in a proper, Islamic manner.
By proudmuslimah
Jazakallah brother qarrar..this was indeed an enlightening articles esp for those of us who are questioned by non muslim freinds as to why we have to wear soooo many clothes even the hottest of days..it also defines the true way of wearing hijab..i hope tht the Almighty grants us the tawfiq to practise the right way of wearing hijab..ameen..
By minhaal2000
One of the lecturers said that we are too defensive when we come under scrutiny from other religions...He said that we must also counter attack those questions and not feel inferior and try to justify our values..

I'll give one example that he mentioned..

He was at his place and there were some christians who visited him.. while He was talking to them his wife ( with hijab) entered in to tell him something and then left..

these chrisitans asked him about the scarf in a ridiculous manner.. as if to mock our practice..

now normally we would try to jsutify ourselves by saying that

the prophet commanded it, the quran alsio and it protects the women and so on ..

but they dont care .. they already know this...

So the lecturer who is a proff at Muhimbili said to them

" we are just practicing what virgin marry prescribed on her followers and apperently you are not "

and they were taken aback.. shocked !

and then he went on to explain that you'll never see the statue of Mary without a scraf and proper clothing..

and you'll find many actions of the unbelievers that contradict their actions

pork for example is rejected in the bible ect

so it is good to study the quran first and if possible also bible and other books to be able to question their belief system and practices in retaliation

yuo'll see many scholars including hasnain rajabali who just visited us use this technique in answering such questions

what do u think ?
By Sayyeda
minhaal2000 wrote:they dont care .. they already know this...

So the lecturer who is a proff at Muhimbili said to them

" we are just practicing what virgin marry prescribed on her followers and apperently you are not "

and they were taken aback.. shocked !

and then he went on to explain that you'll never see the statue of Mary without a scraf and proper clothing..

so it is good to study the quran first and if possible also bible and other books to be able to question their belief system and practices in retaliation

yuo'll see many scholars including hasnain rajabali who just visited us use this technique in answering such questions

what do u think ?

That was a wonderful reply :) ... It's the only technique in answering these questions... 'coz these people already know why we cover ourselves, But they pretend to be ignorant and ask mocking questions! :evil:
By Muhammad Mahdi
minhaal wrote:you'll never see the statue of Mary without a scraf and proper clothing..
Yes, Br Hasnain Rajabali told us the same thing in one Q and A.
Defending Islam Offensively
I agree, logic and reasoning are the best tools if one wants to argue with ones opponents effectively ,but for that one should have the neccesary knowledge and what we call ''presence of mind''.Here is a true example;

''One day at school a non muslim teacher asked a shia ithnaasheri girl infront of the whole class as to why she was wearing a head covering and she should remove it,if she wanted to sit for the exams.The girl without hesistating or becoming embrassed [as the class was making fun of her],stood up and said ''I dont understand why my wearing the head scarf is such a big problem for you,Do not worry teacher ,my Scarf covers only my HAIR and NOT MY BRAIN,so my brain will function just like others, so how can you ask me to remove my head covering when it doesnt interfere with me using my BRAINS in the exams???
THE TEACHER WAS LEFT SPEECHLESS!
Now thats what we call a ''LOGIC ANSWER",.BRAVO to The girl and to all those who are defending the Hijab.
I strongly believe that those who are doing Hijab and know WHY they are doing it and know its value and importance can face the challenges thrown by the enemies of HIJAB and leave them dumbfounded.

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline