Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The decision to marry is one of great importance. How early should this decision be made? How early is too early? And everythign else about marriage
Yes (married man)
8%
Yes (married woman)
17%
No (married man)
No votes
0%
No (married woman)
No votes
0%
Yes (bachelor)
17%
Yes (spinster)
17%
No (bachelor)
8%
No (spinster)
17%
Not sure until I get married then can decide!
17%
The notion that polygamy is mustahab is laughable.
"marry those that please you of women, two or three or four. But if you fear that you will not be just, then [marry only] one"
What normal person can be just between more than a wife?

It is said during the time of the prophet, a companion with 2 wives bought some fruit for each wife. But in order to be just, he divided each fruit in two and mixed one part from each fruit with the other so that each wife got an equal share of the sweetness of the fruit as well (in case one fruit was sweeter, better than the other)

Failure to do this would be injustice according to the Quran. DO you want to marry more than 1?

At best, polygamy is mubah.
I just thought about this while reading your post.

We all know or have heard about Imam Ali as saying that if one of the caliphs had not banned muta only the most wretched would commit zina. We also know that muta is sunnat and mustahab.

But I have not heard or read about any muta contract by any of the infallibles? Have you? If not, then by your argument muta should be makrooh or haraam?
I thought the fact that Muta is mustahab and recommended is known atleast among the shias.

Here is one narration on the matter

محمد بن يحيى ، عن عبدالله بن محمد ، عن علي بن الحكم ، عن أبان بن عثمان ، عن أبي مريم ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) قال : المتعة نزل بها القرآن ، وجرت بها السنة من رسول الله ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) .

1 – [al-Kafi] Muhammad b. Yahya from `Abdullah b. Muhammad from `Ali b. al-Hakam from Aban b. `Uthman from Abu Maryam from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام. He said: The Quran was sent down with mut`a, and the Sunna brought it about from the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله.
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:What is the reference for that?
Al-Kafi
An online excerpt is found here (see number 5): http://www.tashayyu.org/hadiths/marriage/muta/chapter-1

Here is a couple more to dispel any doubts

ـ محمد بن علي بن الحسين بإسناده عن بكر بن محمد ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) قال : سألته عن المتعة ؟ فقال : اني لاكره للرجل المسلم أن يخرج من الدنيا وقد بقيت عليه خلة من خلال رسول الله ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) لم يقضها .

ورواه الحميري في ( قرب الاسناد ) عن أحمد بن إسحاق ، عن بكر بن محمد ، مثله .

Muhammad b. `Ali b. a-Husayn by his isnad from Bakr b. Muhammad from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام. He said: I asked him about mut`a. So he said: I dislike that the Muslim man should leave the world and there remains upon him a habit from the habits of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله which he has not carried out.

And al-Himyari narrated it in Qurb al-Isnad from Ahmad b. Ishaq from Bakr b. Muhammad likewise.

ـ قال الصدوق : وقال الصادق ( عليه السلام ) : اني لاكره للرجل أن يموت وقد بقيت عليه خلة من خلال رسول الله ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) لم يأتها ، فقلت : فهل تمتع رسول الله ( صلى الله عليه وآله ) ؟ قال : نعم وقرأ هذه الآية : ( وإذ أسر النبي إلى بعض أزواجه حديثا ـ إلى قوله : ـ ثيبات وأبكارا ) .

As-Saduq said: As-Sadiq عليه السلام said: I dislike that the man should die and there remain upon him a habit from the habits of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله which he has not carried out. So I said: So did the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله do mut`a? He said: Yes, and he recited this verse “And when the Prophet disclosed a matter to one of his wives” – until His saying – “previously married and virgins.” (66:3-5)
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:Coming to whether mutah is sunnat, a man is marrie das you would have liked, has 4 wives and is not travelling anywhere. Is mutah sunnah for him?

موسى بن بكر ، عن زرارة ، عن أبي جعفر ( عليه السلام ) ـ في حديث ـ قال : وله أن يتمتع إن شاء وله امرأة وإن كان مقيما معها في مصره .

[al-Faqih] Musa b. Bakr from Zurara from Abu Ja`far عليه السلام in a hadith wherein he said: And (it is allowed) for him to do mut`a if he wants while he has a wife, even if she is residing with him in his city.
Allowed does not mean Not Recommended either does it?

Combined with the hadith that testifys to it being a divine command and sunah of the prophet (saww) i thinks its safe to assume in this case allowed is recommended.
When the Quran clearly mentions that if you can not do justice (which is very unlikely for MOST men) then marry only one, I can not see the need for resorting to hadith (which may not be authentic). Hadith comes only if the Quran does not entirely explain something and whenever there is a conflict between hadith and Quran, Quran trumps.
Also refer to 24:32. It says, "Marry those among you who are single...." meaning if someone is already married, dont marry him unless there's a shortage of single men. In addition (if it hasn't already been mentioned) the verse of the Qur'an that talks about marrying more than one wife starts off talking about the care of orphans and finishes off talking about justice among wives. How convenient to ignore all that and take what suits you and leave the rest!

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline