Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The decision to marry is one of great importance. How early should this decision be made? How early is too early? And everythign else about marriage

Have you ever entered into a Muta contract ?

Yes
28%
No, but I may in the future
11%
No, maybe in the future, only if the need arises
39%
No, and I never will
11%
No and I dont think men or/and women should ever contract Muta
11%
By abuali
A topic that raises many questions and definitely many eyebrows.

I would like to know how the members at Ask! feel about this issue.

Are you okay with it? Or do you think otherwise?

Would you ever enter into a Muta contract? Or you cannot picture yourself ever entering into a Muta contract?

I have initiated the poll above this topic so that everyone can vote, so that we can know what people feel, without necessarily knowing who they are.

Rest assured that neither the Administrator nor any Moderator can trace or know who voted for what. It is totally anonymous.

Vote and let us know of your opinions by replying to the topic.
By kulsham
3 months passed n no single reply.. hmm.. i think somebody is scared to reply :p :lol:
By Tayyaba
can some1 xplain me properly wat muta is .. coz i heard buro is the same as muta m pretty confused bout this!
By Sajida
Wots BURO?? :?
As far as i knw mutah is a temporary contract of marriage u enter to with the man..can sum1 elaborate more?
As far as its concerned doin muta just like that id not go for it,but if a person is engaged..i feel a muta shud be recited,there r many types of muta depending wot conditions the man n the woman keep...
By abuali
kulsham Posted: 17 Mar 2005 06:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 months passed n no single reply.. hmm.. i think somebody is scared to reply :p

I had already given up hope of a reply...thanks for saving the topic...
Tayyaba Posted: 18 Mar 2005 12:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can some1 xplain me properly wat muta is .. coz i heard buro is the same as muta m pretty confused bout this!

I will reiterate the question posed by Sajida...whats BURO?

From the little I know...there is the Muta of Haj (Haj-e-Tammatu) and the Muta of Marriage. The one being discussed here is the Muta of Marriage.

It is just like the contract of nikah with the difference being that it is for a fixed term.

It is yet another blessing from Allah(SWT) who has made religion easy. Unfortunately however Muta is looked down upon while noone raises an eyebrow if a man and women are going out or spend time together alone ...hey maybe they are just friends...or well...they are after all going out so they are allowed to be together.
Sajida Posted: 18 Mar 2005 09:56 am Post subject: muta

Wots BURO??
As far as i knw mutah is a temporary contract of marriage u enter to with the man..can sum1 elaborate more?
As far as its concerned doin muta just like that id not go for it,but if a person is engaged..i feel a muta shud be recited,there r many types of muta depending wot conditions the man n the woman keep...

I definitely agree that Muta should be contracted by the man and woman getting engaged. However, I believe that Muta should be recited before engagement especially if during engagement there will be an exchange of rings in which physical contact will occur.
By Umm.aly
there is the Muta of Haj (Haj-e-Tammatu)
Hey i dnt know bout that.. how does it work out? any idea..
It is yet another blessing from Allah(SWT) who has made religion easy. Unfortunately however Muta is looked down upon while noone raises an eyebrow if a man and women are going out or spend time together alone ...hey maybe they are just friends...or well...they are after all going out so they are allowed to be together.
A very gud point raised here!
By murtaza
In the name of Allah the most Beneficient the most Merciful.

The concept of Mutah is very delicate as well as detailed ; and that is the reson we find that some people who are Ignorant about the concept of Mutah start criticizing it ,without knowing its real benefit.
It should be noted that Mutah is accepted by Islam and prooved from Quraan.
Here i will try to brief abt Mutah.

What is Mut'ah?
Mut'ah is a type of marriage, used in the same way as a permanent marriage (Nikah) in order to make a man and woman physically halaal to each other. A Mut'ah is a temporary marriage that ends at a fixed period.

How is Mut'ah Contracted?
The contracting of Mut'ah is just like that of Nikah, both require specific words to make the contract halaal - both types of marriage have Dower. The difference between Mut'ah and standard Nikah is that there is no specified time scale, whilst a time scale is necessary with Mut'ah. Mut'ah has many Shari'ah rules / regulations if one wishes to learn further they should consult Shi'a books of fiqh.

What is the position of children born from Mut'ah?
There is no difference between the children of Nikah or Mut'ah. Both are considered legitimate under the Shari'ah - they inherit from their parents, and all Islamic laws apply with regards to paternity.

Qur'anic Evidences for the Legitimacy of Mut'ah
The Verse of Mut'ah (4:24)
The most important verse of the Holy Qur'an which establishes the legitimacy of Mut'ah is verse 24 of Surat an-Nisa, known to all hadeeth commentators (Sunni and Shi'a) as "the verse of Mut'ah." This verse provides a clear and unshakeable permission for the practice of temporary marriage. In the same way that Islam has established principles to protect human beings, via rules and regulations, it has at the same time provided for legitimate means by which man can enjoy himself, and Mut'ah is one of these ways. The Shari'ah prohibits fornication, but at the same time allows the practise of Mut'ah. If anyone is unaware of this blessing from Allah (swt), then let us set out the evidences from the Holy Qur'an:
"[Forbidden to you] are married woman, except what your right hand possesses. This Allah has written for you, and all other women besides these are permitted to you, so that you may seek them out with your wealth, seeking chastity and not fornication. So when you have contracted temporary marriage [istimt'atum] with them, then give them their words. There is no sin on you for whatever you agree to after this. Indeed, Allah is Knowing, Wise."Al-Qur'an, Surah An-Nisa, Ayah 24.

Benefit of Mut'ah
Before commenting further i just want to ask tht If mut'ah was in any kind of immorality then why did Allah SWT allowed it ??
One of the main problems in all debates surrounding the legitimacy of Mut'ah is the degree to which people's minds have been clouded on this issue. If one goes into a debate believing that temporary marriage is fundamentally immoral, than it will be impossible for such a person to accept the Qur'anic and hadeeth proofs for its legitimacy. Such a person has already closed off his mind to the truth, and no amount of Islamic evidence will be able to sway him. A critical issue which needs to be dealt with, then, is whether or not Mut'ah constitutes a moral outrage, or whether (as the Prophet and Imams (as) have taught) Mut'ah is a blessing and grace (lutf) given by Allah (swt) to the believers.
(again it is a vast discussion , i will brief)
To know more about mut'ah and its benefits and practical examples of sucessful people who performed mutah in these recent times, view the following website
http://www.al-islam.org/encyclopedia/chapter6a/7.html

It should be noted' The Shari'ah does not force people to practise Mut'ah, rather Mut'ah is a means via which couples prevent themselves from fornicating, and there is no distinguishing between rich and poor on this. . Mut'ah can be practised according to the circumstances that a man or women find themselves in, if people do not like it, then they can refrain from it, after all there is no religious obligation on all believers to practise Mut'ah , it is an available option for anyone who deems it necessary'.

Among many of the benefits of Mut'ah is that a couple who do Mut'ah get to understand each other better over that period of time and that is what we call engagement nowadays. If all goes well, when the period of Mut'ah is over they may engage in a permanent marriage. This could also be in a reverse case, if all does not go to plan then they may go their own ways after the limit of Mut'ah. Rather then getting married and then having a divorce Mut'ah is a great way of overcoming this undesirable act (divorce).

There are yet many details of Mutah and its benefits and many more, but i think (not to make the document too long) this information may suffice for the time being to get the idea about Muta'h and its Legitimacy and benefit and so on.

! MURTAZA !
By Muntazir Manji
salaam alaikum.

Thank you Murtaza for the enlightening post. I personally agree with your views. However, just some points i would like to add on this topic, so as to bring the nature of our religion into light using this one example.

While we discuss issues such as mutah, we must acknowledge certain facts and then come to a conclusion. First, let us acknowledge the fact that Allah is our creator and he has knowledge of everything. From these two points we can conclude, that he has created us, thus he has knowledge about our needs.

He gave us hunger as a need and food to fill that need, thirst and water to fill that need. Similarly, sexual desires are one of our needs. There must be a way of filling this need. And we all know that the only way to fill this need is by way of marriage. What about people who, due to whatever circumstances (be it financial or otherwise) cannot get into permanent marriage? Does it mean that such a muslim will have to forget about his/her needs altogether? will this not be unfair? will this not compell that person to commit sins?

The islamic shariah is shariah sahla (easy law), because it is based on the nature of mankind. That is why it is so practical.

Mutah is a part of that easy shariah. It makes it possible for the human being to escape sin. Those who prohibit mutah, should revise their definitions of the shariah.

The sunnis consider mutah and hajj tamatoo (if im not mistaken) to be unlawful. These people must realise, that those things which were made halah or haram by the prophet mohammed cannot change after his death.

Mutah was forbiden not by the prophet but by Umab ibn al khattab.
By kulsham
hmmm!
Last edited by kulsham on 09 May 2005, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
By abuali
kulsham Posted: 19 Apr 2005 10:22 pm Post subject:

hasin wrote:
My quick question to those who voted

No, and I never will
12% [ 1 ]

and

No and I dont think men or/and women should ever contract Muta
12% [ 1 ]

any specific reasons for the above?

because i am different i feel this is not right.
and that no matter what anybody does i will never understand the term Mutah... its crazy.
even though the Holy Quran, which is the word of Allah allows it?
By Muntazir Manji
Bismillah.

salaams,
because i am different i feel this is not right.
and that no matter what anybody does i will never understand the term Mutah... its crazy.
Well, people are different, and mutah is not something that we MUST do. So really its up to the individual.

Just a point that comes to mind here.. in our khoja community, the unacceptibiliy of mutah is usually because of our cultural bounds. Imagine a girl or a guy in our community contracting the temporary marriage and make it known to all (not engaged couples!).. so we must take care!

The institution of Mutah has been MISUSED in our community alot. Mutah is a way of escaping sin, not HAVING FUN and INDULGING in the pleasures of this world!...

We must rememeber that we are answerable to Allah (swt) about all our actions. Misusing the shariah will also be answerable...

A question i was asked by a student at madressa: "Can two guys enter into temporary marriage with the same girl?".. well, this question shows the way in which we are always ready to use the shariah to suit our needs!.. imagine if that was possible!..

By the way the answer is NO!..

Muntazir.
By kulsham
Don wana waste time in knowin or learning abt it... thanks...
By Sajida
Well the forum is for everyone to read..its ok of u dont wanna learn or benefit from it..others will..im one of them of wants to learn n benefit from it..!
By sadika
Salaam Alaykum

I agree with Sajida... I think gaining knowledge about issues is important. I have already learnt so much just by reading the forums on Ask. Congratulations to all.

I dont know much about Muta, but there must be logic behind it if it has been allowed. Besides, what would the couple who get engaged do without Muta?

Just a few thoughts.

-----------------------
Sadika - A Muslimah in search of the truth
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline