Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The decision to marry is one of great importance. How early should this decision be made? How early is too early? And everythign else about marriage
By sadika
hi

i came across some recent weddings/engagements whereby khoja/shia gals/guys are gettin married to european/american/etc guys/gals

i found this quite shockin. but maybe i m wrong

thought to post it so can get some ideaz
By abuali
i am glad you have brought this up

Until recently we have seen and been shocked by inter-culture marriages in other indian/asian sects like Ismaili's, hindus etc

This phenomenon has now caught us. Retrospectively we should have expected this sooner rather than later.

Our family system and values I believe are the culprit. If a parent can let his/her son/daughter live by herself/himself in a foreign country studying at a foreign university whilst fully knowing that the country and the university has extremely loose morals and ethics in the guise of 'freedom of everything', that parent should be least surprised when his/her offspring decides to intermarry.

maybe someone can enlighten us on what Islam says on this issue?
By sadika
i m sure sharia allows as long as one is muslim

or is it different for gals?
Yep, allowed as long as the guy is Muslim, preferably an Ithnasheri.
By abuali
http://ask.or.tz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20 ... 689#p11689

it has been discussed here. A fatwa about the issue is also mentioned. I quote it here under:
Muhammad Mahdi wrote:
390 A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman in temporary marriage. Based on precaution, it is obligatory to refrain from marrying a non-Muslim woman in permanent marriage.
A Muslim man is not allowed to marry, neither permanently nor temporarily a non-Muslim woman who is not among Ahlul Kitab. Based on obligatory precaution, a Muslim man must refrain from marrying a Zoroastrian woman, even temporarily.
As for a Muslim woman, she is not allowed to marry a non-Muslim man at all.
A code of Practice for Muslims of the west
By Esm'ail
Asalamalaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
With all do respect to the scholars who issued the fatwa and to the fatwa issued.
But my question is this:
We all know or atleast I know, that the modern ahlul kitab(christians and Jews) and the ancient ones with reference to the scriptures they have somehow managed to differ from one another, from translation of the Holy Books to the way worshipping is done to what is haraam and halaal in their society.
Well, is the fatwa still applied regardless of the current situation? or do we need a new fatwa to be issued on the respective topic?
By abuali
Esm'ail wrote:Asalamalaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
With all do respect to the scholars who issued the fatwa and to the fatwa issued.
But my question is this:
We all know or atleast I know, that the modern ahlul kitab(christians and Jews) and the ancient ones with reference to the scriptures they have somehow managed to differ from one another, from translation of the Holy Books to the way worshipping is done to what is haraam and halaal in their society.
Well, is the fatwa still applied regardless of the current situation? or do we need a new fatwa to be issued on the respective topic?
I think thats exactly why on obligatory precaution man cannot marry permanently with an ahl kitab woman. And for the woman, she is not allowed to marry a non-muslim man at all.
By Esm'ail
But what difference does it make in our modern times, as long as ur married to a person who in one way or the other does things or might tempt you to do things which are contrary to religion, I don't think the time span justifies anything.
And please define temporary.
By abuali
The marriage of mutah is meant by temporary

Among the ahlul kitab there are followers who are still on the right path. Hence its possible to marry someone who is on the right path from the ahlul kitab. Thats why, possibly, its not haraam for the man to marry an ahlul kitaab woman in temporary marriage.

The temporary marriage allows for an exit route thats no complicated should the ahlul kitab woman tempt the husband to rebel towards his faith.
By miskelleneousk
i honestly dont see the problem with interracial/ cultural marriages as long as they're muslims, the fact that someone can be against it suprises me, our religion teaches us nothng against it, the holy prophet himslef married women form other religions and race.
There is no part of the Qur'an that speaks on interracial marriage, as it is not an issue.

As the prophet Mohammad said in his farewell sermon:

There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab. Neither is the white superior over the black, nor is the black superior over the white -- except by piety

One can not say someone from their ethnic group is better to marry than someone from another place, at least not in religious terms. It may be easier for a family and man/woman to accept someone who is from the same region as they have similar languages, traditions, friends, etc. Interracial marriages will result in a lot of changes and not all people wish to go through that

we really need to open our minds against this ind of prejudice
We have indeed created you from one man and one woman, and have made you into various nations and tribes so that you may know one another; indeed the more honourable among you, in the sight of Allah, is one who is more pious among you; indeed Allah is All Knowing, All Aware. al hujurat 49:13

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline