interculture marriages

The decision to marry is one of great importance. How early should this decision be made? How early is too early? And everythign else about marriage
sadika
Ask Novice
Ask Novice

interculture marriages

Postby sadika » 11 Jun 2009, 21:07

hi

i came across some recent weddings/engagements whereby khoja/shia gals/guys are gettin married to european/american/etc guys/gals

i found this quite shockin. but maybe i m wrong

thought to post it so can get some ideaz
Sadika - A Muslimah in search of the truth
abuali
Ask Admin

Re: interculture marriages

Postby abuali » 11 Jul 2009, 00:36

i am glad you have brought this up

Until recently we have seen and been shocked by inter-culture marriages in other indian/asian sects like Ismaili's, hindus etc

This phenomenon has now caught us. Retrospectively we should have expected this sooner rather than later.

Our family system and values I believe are the culprit. If a parent can let his/her son/daughter live by herself/himself in a foreign country studying at a foreign university whilst fully knowing that the country and the university has extremely loose morals and ethics in the guise of 'freedom of everything', that parent should be least surprised when his/her offspring decides to intermarry.

maybe someone can enlighten us on what Islam says on this issue?
sadika
Ask Novice
Ask Novice

Postby sadika » 27 Jul 2009, 17:09

i m sure sharia allows as long as one is muslim

or is it different for gals?
Sadika - A Muslimah in search of the truth
Fatimah Zahra Karim
Ask Senior
Ask Senior

Postby Fatimah Zahra Karim » 10 Aug 2009, 07:59

Yep, allowed as long as the guy is Muslim, preferably an Ithnasheri.
If Allah assists you, there is none that can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, then who is there that can assist you after Him? And on Allah should the believers rely (Qur'an 3:160)
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 29 Aug 2009, 06:22

i remember having read that for a woman, it is either wajib or obligatory precaution that the husband-to-be is shia.

I am not too sure though and cant remember where i read it.

If anyone comes across the fatwa please post
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 29 Aug 2009, 06:26

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2022&p=11689#p11689

it has been discussed here. A fatwa about the issue is also mentioned. I quote it here under:

Muhammad Mahdi wrote:
390 A Muslim man is allowed to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman in temporary marriage. Based on precaution, it is obligatory to refrain from marrying a non-Muslim woman in permanent marriage.
A Muslim man is not allowed to marry, neither permanently nor temporarily a non-Muslim woman who is not among Ahlul Kitab. Based on obligatory precaution, a Muslim man must refrain from marrying a Zoroastrian woman, even temporarily.
As for a Muslim woman, she is not allowed to marry a non-Muslim man at all.

A code of Practice for Muslims of the west
Esm'ail
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby Esm'ail » 01 Sep 2009, 14:09

Asalamalaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
With all do respect to the scholars who issued the fatwa and to the fatwa issued.
But my question is this:
We all know or atleast I know, that the modern ahlul kitab(christians and Jews) and the ancient ones with reference to the scriptures they have somehow managed to differ from one another, from translation of the Holy Books to the way worshipping is done to what is haraam and halaal in their society.
Well, is the fatwa still applied regardless of the current situation? or do we need a new fatwa to be issued on the respective topic?
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 01 Sep 2009, 14:49

Esm'ail wrote:Asalamalaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
With all do respect to the scholars who issued the fatwa and to the fatwa issued.
But my question is this:
We all know or atleast I know, that the modern ahlul kitab(christians and Jews) and the ancient ones with reference to the scriptures they have somehow managed to differ from one another, from translation of the Holy Books to the way worshipping is done to what is haraam and halaal in their society.
Well, is the fatwa still applied regardless of the current situation? or do we need a new fatwa to be issued on the respective topic?

I think thats exactly why on obligatory precaution man cannot marry permanently with an ahl kitab woman. And for the woman, she is not allowed to marry a non-muslim man at all.
Esm'ail
Ask Member
Ask Member

Postby Esm'ail » 02 Sep 2009, 15:15

But what difference does it make in our modern times, as long as ur married to a person who in one way or the other does things or might tempt you to do things which are contrary to religion, I don't think the time span justifies anything.
And please define temporary.
abuali
Ask Admin

Postby abuali » 02 Sep 2009, 17:12

The marriage of mutah is meant by temporary

Among the ahlul kitab there are followers who are still on the right path. Hence its possible to marry someone who is on the right path from the ahlul kitab. Thats why, possibly, its not haraam for the man to marry an ahlul kitaab woman in temporary marriage.

The temporary marriage allows for an exit route thats no complicated should the ahlul kitab woman tempt the husband to rebel towards his faith.

Return to “Marriage”