Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
This is the place to post articles on any issue which doesn not fit under any other category or forum
(bismillah)
(salam)

In recent times Ebrahim Haji hospital has been renovated atleast twice. During one such exercise the lab facilities were redesigned.

Part of the redesign was the installation of see through glass panels throughout the lab. Visitors to the lab reception are rewarded with a view of the lab technicians at work right behind the glass across them. Visitors also have direct views of the nurse who would draw blood from patients for the various tests.

So if a sister in faith is required to give blood from the upper arm she is forced to put up her sleeves in open view of not only the various lab techs at work but also any patient who may be at the lab reception. I have also witnessed male employees walk on from the door right behind the blood drawing area while blood is being drawn from a patient.

As a community hospital shouldn't ebrahim haji be hijab friendly?
There is a nurse station right after the entrance to the lab where nurses assist patients by taking their blood pressure and weight measurements.

The nursing station is basically a small room with no doors.

If a sister wants to visit the doctor, she will be required to get her blood pressure measured. In so doing she will be required to sit at the nursing station and raise her sleeve so as to enable the nurse to do the needful.

This is in plain view of anyone who is sitting in the many chairs right across the nursing stations entrance!

And I ask again, shouldn't ebrahim haji by default be shariah friendly?
When I first saw the new [renovated] Ithnashri dispensary ,I felt very happy and proud.How was I to know that soon,very soon, my Pride would be shattered, Alas once when I had to visit the lab for medical reasons,I couldnt believe my eyes.The woman whom I had seen in full Hijab just few moments earlier ,was now helplessly struggling to fold her sleeves for blood letting ,while trying to hide her arms [which was hopeless of course] from na mehram men who were now and then passing through or watching through the glass panels as they waited for their turns.
I was shocked and utterly dissapointed . Also in the section where Blood pressure is taken its the same case,as every TOM, DICK AND HARRY who are passing by, can see arms of women who are having their blood pressure taken.
My question is, Being an Ithnaashri Dispensary isnt it the right of every Muslim women who wears Hijab, to feel comfortable and at ease,Isnt it her right that her Hijab should be accorded respect due to it,and at no cost should it be COMPROMISED?
I am surprised that nobody is taking any action.The worst part is that majority of our community don't seem to care ,as we can see how Hijab is being compromised everywhere.Wake up Muslim women, and make a decision now.Either compromise your Hijab or stand for your right!
Brother Hasin, I , as a muslim woman suggest that we [all members of ASK] should sign a petition and send it to the dispensary asking for a private room for the above tests for those women who care for their Hijab. Anybody with other Ideas? Please lets take one small step and make our Imam proud of us,lets fulfil our duty towards Islam and towards our present Imam [may Allah hasten his reappearance].
Thank you sister.

Just recently a brother told me about his dissapointment when he took a lady from his household for consultation to see a lady doctor at ebrahim haji.

She was prescribed an ultra sound test. Upon paying for the test when they reached the ultra sound room, he was shocked to find that the test is being done by a male doctor.

Upon requesting for a female to do the test, he was looked at like he was from another planet! When he requested a refund so he can do the test elsewhere other staff of the hospital told him this is normal and nothing wrong with a male doctor taking the ultra sound.

It is a shame that at our own hospitals core principles of our faith are being made fun off. Shouldn't the staff at ebrahim haji be made aware about our faith and be required to be respectful and observant of the same?

I think a petition is a great idea. Can everyone who will be willing to sign such a petition reply to this thread. Once enough people have responded, say 14 at least, I will proceed with making a petition.
Find below pictures that were sent to me via email by a brother

1. The nursing station
nursing station at Ebrahim Haji hospital in dar es salaam
nursing station at Ebrahim Haji hospital in dar es salaam
nursing-station-ebrahim-haji.jpg (286.67 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
2. The area in the laboratory where patients go for drawing blood
Laboratory at Ebrahim Haji with glass panels allowing no privacy
Laboratory at Ebrahim Haji with glass panels allowing no privacy
see-thru-laboratory.jpg (419.72 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
(salam)

Before we go to a petition, lets give a benefit of doubt to the Board/Management that manages Ebrahim Haji hospital and assume that they may not be aware that patients are not getting the privacy they deserve and the hijab of the muslim ladies is compromised when they use the services of the hospital like the nursing station and the lab.

So I would suggest we draft a letter to the person that is in charge of the hospital and bringing the issue to his/her attention. This letter can be signed by a few of us and a copy be sent to Jamaat.

Failure of action to remedy the situation within an agreed time, we can then use the same letter to then make a petition and collect signatures.

What do you think?
1. Any blood sample that needs to be taken from the veins in the upper arm can also be taken from the veins on the back of the palm, which is what I always request when I need a sample taken. I've never known any technician to refuse this since the veins are easier to get at and there's minimal fiddling around with the needle inside.

2. About the blood pressure, true...I guess they should be taking it in an enclosed space.

3. A suggestion should be made to the health centre to get a female radiologist, or at least a very experienced female radiographer. It is necessary to get a female technician for ultrasounds since all pregnant woman need the scan.
Oh, oh...brain wave! Why are the same people who're against women leaving the house and working complaining about the lack of female staff at the hospital? If they had things their way, all nurses, radiologists, gynecologists, surgeons, technicians, etc, at all hospitals would be male since in their opinion women belong at home. Booyah! :D
Fatimah Zahra Karim wrote:1. Any blood sample that needs to be taken from the veins in the upper arm can also be taken from the veins on the back of the palm, which is what I always request when I need a sample taken. I've never known any technician to refuse this since the veins are easier to get at and there's minimal fiddling around with the needle inside.
I wish I knew that. Whenever I have gone to give a sample, i tend to ask the technician from where he will take it. Surprisingly many a time he says the upper arm. Why would he not say back of the palm if that is easier?
Fatimah Zahra Karim wrote: 3. A suggestion should be made to the health centre to get a female radiologist, or at least a very experienced female radiographer. It is necessary to get a female technician for ultrasounds since all pregnant woman need the scan.
The contrast is such that our hospital does not have this facility for our women yet other hospitals do!
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline