Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
This is the place to post articles on any issue which doesn not fit under any other category or forum
By abuali
(bismillah)
(salam)

Recently I have heard of and come across parents who have seriously considered 'home-schooling' their children.

Discussing with them, the following emerged as major reasons:

1. Afraid of children being influenced badly at schools (being aware of the deteriorating morals and ethics in schools these days such as drugs, dating, disrespect etc).
2. Afraid that in schools their children will be given education that encourages disbelief in oneness of Allah (SWT) (eg: Darwinism etc)
3. Distrusting of Teachers & other students (with cases of teachers/students having abused other students)
4. Unavailability of quality schools which have recognition.

I thought of starting this thread to serve as:

1. a discussion on the necessity or otherwise of home schooling in our age
2. a bank of resources (websites, addresses, reviews) of home schooling programs that any of us have experienced.

Many parents who want to try out home schooling never get down to it because they cannot find enough resources to encourage them to start. for example:

1. Which program/examination to enrol the child into? (IGCSE? I am sure there are others available)
2. How to avail the necessary material to help prepare the child for the exams?
3. Where to find a suitable home tutor to guide the child through the syllabus?
4. Where are exam centers for the program the child is enrolled into?

Please do contribute should you have any resources/opinions on the above
By Moonbeam
(wasalam)

A superb topic to discuss on!

I think in these times, home schooling is the best option if not the only option for safeguarding your kid's imaan and akhlaq. Because no matter how good the upbringing is at home, the peer pressure and social vices are ever prevalent and get to your kids, because they are at such tender ages to be easily influenced. And the glitter of the forbidden is always more attractive and easily attainable.

The challenges will be high m sure, but the rewards are very fruitful indeed. I myself have not yet tried it, but m seriously considering it. Apart from safeguarding the Imaan and akhlaq of kids, home schooling would also instill in them a sense of independence earlier on.

In school the knowledge is restricted to what is being taught, and the information is all researched for and given to the students who are then 'informed' about the topic. Whereas in home schooling, once you have taught your child to read and write, the world and all its resources and information is at his feet. Just give him a topic and let him research and read up on it as much as he wants to!

Have not really researched into this, these are just rough ideas that i have. Will definitely look into the websites put up here, and others too. (We shouldn't be spoon fed by Ask either :geek: )
By abuali
I have been researching whether it would be possible to register a student with gcse so that the student can sit for the exams without having to be enrolledin a traditional school.

I haven't managed to find any helpful information online. Does anyone know? Links or contact emails will also help.

I came across http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk which may be helpful for those looking for syllabus.
By abuali
A few questions for those who have thought about home schooling

1. Is home schooling loosing it's benefit due to being dependent on mainstream syllabus, in which for example study of lies and propoganda such as Darwinism is required?

2. Would you prefer to tutor your child or employ a tutor who would do so?

3. If a tutor is employed would you be present while your child is being tutored?
By Fatima88
abuali wrote: 08 Dec 2010, 11:46 I have been researching whether it would be possible to register a student with gcse so that the student can sit for the exams without having to be enrolledin a traditional school.

I am not sure about Tanzania but there is an option of appearing for GCSE exams privately in other countries. I myself did my o-levels and a-levels privately.

This is an old post but do let me know if you found a similar option in Tanzania?
By Zoha Fatema Mirza
abuali wrote: 08 Dec 2010, 11:46 I have been researching whether it would be possible to register a student with gcse so that the student can sit for the exams without having to be enrolledin a traditional school.

I haven't managed to find any helpful information online. Does anyone know? Links or contact emails will also help.

Yes it is possible to give exams ...im giving my a level exams while homeschooling ....if you go to the Cambridge site they will show you homeschooling options and whether the place ur living has examination centers where u can take your gcse

I came across http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk which may be helpful for those looking for the syllabus.
By FatemaC
A friend of mine informed me that British council do offer Cambridge exams and each exam costs 70 pounds. i myself have not asked.

We started our homeschool journey last year in August and we are completing our first year Alhamdulillah. it has been challenging but InshaAllah we shall get there.

I use a mix of different curriculums for different subjects. Sharing them below.

Mathematics- Dimension Math by Singapore Math.

English
Spelling- All About learning Press
Reading- All About learning Press
Grammar- Well trained Mind(English as first language) (welltrainedmind.com)
Writing- Learning without Tears
Handwriting- Learning without Tears

Science
Aplogia- Christian based but Amazing content. Can always be filtered.

History
Story of the World by Well trained mind. (Slightly christian based but can easily be explained)

We even do Science, Social, Civics and Moral Education using the NECTA curriculum.

I hope this helps to those who are still wondering where to start.

Always remember, YOU ARE THE BEST TEACHER YOUR CHILD CAN HAVE. WHAT YOU CAN GIVE YOUR CHILD NO TEACHER CAN DO.

If you need any assistance/guidance please free to contact me.
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline