Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Doctor Sibtain Moledina will be answering your medical questions. Post your questions. To post a question anonymously use the following credentials:
Username: Insaan
Password: passask

Moderators: Syed Kazim, Muhammad

By abuali
Salaam Alaykum

I have an ear pain which feels like something is clogging up one ear. The pain extends to my jaws when chewing or moving my jaws.

Do I need to see a doctor to examine or can i get some off the shelf ear drops to relieve the pain and treat the condition?
By Sibtain
Alaykum Salaam,

Normally ear pain which is radiating to the jaw is a sign of an ear infection. Sometimes, fluid builds up inside the ear (called effusion) causing some blockage sensation and echoing of sound.

It is better to treat it before it leads to complications (which can be life-threatening). A common misconception is that any ear infection should be treated with ear drops.

Ear infections are best treated with oral tablets or even injectable if very severe. Medicines like Co-amoxyclav or Azithromycin work well with ear infection. The use of ear drops is usually recommended if there is a discharge from the affected ear (either watery, or pus).

So in your case, if there is no discharge, take one full dose of one of the above antibiotics orally (if you're not allergic to them) and that should be okay. You can add some painkillers to make yourself comfortable.

If the condition doesn't improve over the next 2-3 days, then better see a doctor who can examine you appropriately.

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline