Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Doctor Sibtain Moledina will be answering your medical questions. Post your questions. To post a question anonymously use the following credentials:
Username: Insaan
Password: passask

Moderators: Syed Kazim, Muhammad

Hello
I would like to ask when is the latest that an expectant mother should start ante natal clinic?
Is there any harm in starting the antenatal visits from the third trimester onwards if there appears to be no seeming complications and the fetus movements are clearly felt?

Thanks
By Sibtain
Antenatal clinics are advised to be started as soon as one knows that she is pregnant.

A number of screening tests and check-ups are done during that period, even before the third trimester which are all very important, both to the mother and the baby.

Some of these tests are for example, ultrasounds at specified intervals, blood tests for HIV, syphillis, blood group. Perhaps one of the most important but less recognised is blood pressure and urine tests which are vital from the beginning. Furthermore, vaccinations are given to the mother (particularly, tetanus) which helps protect the baby from the dangerous infection in childhood.

So in other words, start antenatal clinic as soon as you know that you are not one, but two in one!
By Insaan
Thank you very much for this important info. Unfortunately i am not getting a sooner appointment with my gynecologist. can I go to a GP instead who can prescribe all the required tests and vaccines or do I have to wait to see my gyno first?

Really appreciate your taking time to answer our qstns!

Many thanks to you and Ask team for facilitating this
By Sibtain
Yes a GP who has experience in antenatal care (and most do, if not all) then there is no problem in going to a GP while waiting for your OBGY appointment.

The vaccines are normally given around the 20th and 30th week of pregnancy so if you are still early in your pregnancy then you do not need worry about that right now.

But do make sure you see your OBGY sooner than later.

Hope that helps

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline