Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Lessons and thoughts on Traditions

Moderator: Muntazir

In the name of 'Allah.

as-Salaamu 'aleykum.

Imam al-Baaqir [‘a.s] has said:

“Do not extend the greeting of peace… and to those who drink alcohol nor to chess or dice players nor to an effeminate person nor to a poet who slanders chaste women of fornication and nor to someone performing his prayer – and that is because the person praying cannot return the greeting for verily the initiation the greeting on the part of the greeter in voluntary where as the returning of greeting is obligatory. Nor greet the usurer nor someone who is sitting in the lavatory nor someone taking a bath nor and outrightly corrupt person who openly commits immoral acts.”

Ibid – P. 9, No. 35
Muntazir wrote: “Do not extend the greeting of peace… and to those who drink alcohol nor to chess or dice players nor to an
(wasalam)
you have left '...' in between the first sentence. Is this to shorten the Hadith to the relevant portion?
In the name of 'Allah.

as-Salaamu 'aleykum.

No, I found the hadith this way... I myself wondered at first and trying to look for its original text. Insha'Allah, if I find it then I'll get back to you. :)

Jazakallah.
In the name of 'Allah.

Salaamun 'aleykum.

Imam as-Saadiq ['a.s.w.s]: "The Prophet [s.'a.w.w] used to greet women and they would return his greeting, and the commander of the faithful ['a.s.w.s] [also] greeted women, but disliked greeting the young girls and said, 'I fear their voices may be pleasing to me, whence I would end up with more [consequences] than the reward I anticipated [from the greeting].'

Usool al-Kaafi - Vol. 5, p. 535, h. 3

Miyzaan al-Hikmah [Translated Version] - P. 541, h. 3,107.

However, for women to Greet Men, they should not say Salaamun 'aleykum. According to a Hadith by Imam as-Saadiq ['a.s.w.s], women should say, 'aleykum as-Salaam' when greeting men and they should return her greeting by saying, 'as-Salaamu 'aleykum'. I had read this hadith in Man la Yahzarul Faqih by Sheikh Sadooq [r.'a].
In the name of 'Allah.

Salaamun 'aleykum.

Going back to the same tradition, the part where Imam 'Ali ['a.s.w.s] said: "I fear their voices may be pleasing to me", instead of voices, take it as "their reply or responding back".

However, there is a huge difference between greeting a na-mahram on the streets and online or even offline.

Greeting online is a sign of conversation. One would not just say "Salaamun 'aleykum" and end the conversation, it would start one. But on the streets, one can greet as many na-mahram without starting a conversation. Like when you see your classmate in the car, your far relative across the street, ...

Hence, when it comes to greeting online, we need to see what type of conversation one intends to have with the na-mahram. If the conversation is halaal [educational or under the Islamic laws] it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise it would not be permissible.

It all depends on the conversation.

Ayatullah Sistani's ruling:

"If there is a fear that a girl or a boy may be drawn towards sin, it is not permissible. Normally chatting ends up in a sin for both sides."

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=na ... l=chatting

Hope it solves the question.

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline