Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
When I grow up I am going to be ...an Accountant? a Doctor? a Pharmacist? a Programmer? This is the place to tell us about your choice and the reasons for your choice, and to seek advice from others.

Moderator: Syed Kazim

By abuali
During my O-levels, I doubt that I ever thought about pursuing Chartered Accountancy. However, I find myself on the road to becoming a chartered accountant. IF i had all the time and all the money in the world, I would probably be prusuing something like Astronomy, Photography, Microbiology, genetics or 3d animation (wishful thinking :) )

Many youths curently are pursuing business related fields such as ABE and ACCA. I would like to know whether they are doing so because they want to or because it is the only choice available.
By abuali
Hmm..I also feel that people go for IT and Business subjects because they feel safe with it. However, the truth is much deeper than that.

Currently in Tanzania, there are many unemployed and under-employed qualified accountants and business managers and IT professionals.

And as far as the scope of other professions such as Astronomy or Photograpghy is concerned, I feel that there is definite scope in Tanzania. Yes, there are not many people pursuing it or practicing it at the moment...but doesnt that mean a bigger chunk of the market for those who do?

Think about it...I call it the 'paradox of moving with the crowd'...I think the main reason majority of people go for the professions is because everyone else is doing so...regardless of what they may be better at, or what they may enjoy more as a profession for life.
By Nayaab
Salaams,
I'd just like to add a little more statistics to Hasin's: (hehe..i always seem to be talking about muhimbili this n that...excuse me for that)...there are 200 doctors graduating from muhimbili each year. Where do they all go?
When there are too many ppl pursuing the same career, this is what happens. Instead of building scope, it decreases it, especially in third world countries. This is what i feel us youths need to take into consideration - very important!
On the issue of "different" careers like astronomy and the works, only once people get qualified in such fields will the birth of its scope occur. This is not much of a reality in third worlds but if you're looking for a future abroad, its very possible!
Lemme know what u think..
Nayaab
By changing-muslim
S/a

In response to Hasin's question.. To be honest I see the point behind every other youth opting for Acca or Business Related feilds. But honestly, even if we did go abroad would the scope to do other things be as vast as we think it mite be? Like astro-physics!?! I know my cousin who did Masters in that and ended up switching Careers after she was posted in Arizona Desert to work! I mean there still has to be other factors besides passion for a career that makes a Job meaningful. Even though, it all seems very well, but at the end of the day its the pay check that really matters doesn't it. Plus I feel people do Acca because its cheaper and can be obtained from FTC or well atleast make a start from there.
As for Nayaab, have you bothered to check that these doctors who qualify out of Muhimbhili really do really get employed? As far as I have heard, these doctors are prepared to work for up to 200-400 dollars a month after what 5 years of study at the very least. I mean is it really worth it? Ofcourse, If we did go abroad we would have a better chance of employment. But then, there are still so many exams to pass as a doctor. I mean some of them are really very difficult considering we go from places like Tanzania, India or Pakistan. Yet another factor to consider is the time if we did go abroad to persue medicine. And this is considering you are really quite wealthy to support 6-8 years of study! As far as I am concerned, youths in Dar face a huge dilema! - What to do and what not to do!! Please feel free to contradict me and please excuse the spellings! :o

https://youtu.be/-3CI0FBr5ss?si=UNYS9HXtS24Gbr-P

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 7

*Dua for Day 7 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom)

Short Tafsir on Suratul Mulk (The Kingdom) - Part […]

Ramadan Daily Duas - Day 6

*Dua for Day 6 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O ALLAH,[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline